• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I think that the side will be pretty straightforward. With Mitchell and Turner out we don't have a whole lot of choice in the outside backs department, especially with Horne playing the way he is. It's a real pity he's been so disappointing for the Tahs, I expected him to cement himself as the premier Australian #13 this year. Hopefully he comes good fast.

Hoping that Lealiifano, Gill, Tapuai, Dennis and Pyle all get a chance to show their stuff at an international level against Scotland/Wales, to blood them for the 4N/ 2013 Lions Tour. I really think that these 5 have potentially long-term futures in the Green and Gold and provided they keep fit and firing the upcoming test series would seem a great time to do so. Sharpe will be gone next year, and we need someone to step into his shoes and I'm not sure Simmons is the man for the job.

Another thought- I think that our best option for next year is Pocock/Gill at Blindside and Openside respectively. I know some may be horrified by the prospect of taking Pocock out of the fetcher role, but I have a few reasons behind this. Firstly, we don't have a real standout blindside as it stands. Secondly, Pocock is out best ball carrying forward and Gill's presence would increase his running game. Lastly, Gill is a freak at the breakdown and a model like the current French one could possibly work wonders, complimenting the expansive nature of our backline play.

Anyway, I'd love to see this side for the first test of the year:
1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. James Slipper
4. Nathan Sharpe
5. James Horwill
6. Dave Dennis
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. Berrick Barnes
11. Digby Ioane
12. James O'Connor
13. Ben Tapuai
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. Kurtley Beale
-----------------------------------
16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Greg Holmes/Sekope Kepu
18. Hugh Pyle
19. Liam Gill
20. Ben Lucas/Nic White
21. Quade Cooper
22. Christian Lealiifano/Rob Horne

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Pocock the best ball carrying forward in the Wallabies? Sorry, not a chance. It's not exactly the strength of his game Pocock should be selected to play 7. Gill is still nowhere near Pocock's skill level or impact at the breakdown. The only other players in the modern game who can approach Pocock's skill level at the breakdown are Broussow, Juan Smith and McCaw

Pocock puts more pressure on the ball than any other player I have seen. He is the best fetcher period, and his defense is now nearly impenetrable after having cured a tendency to over-run plays.

Swarley, are you a Kiwi in disguise?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Exactly. Pocock has his moments, but he is far from the best ball carrying forward. Gill is also a long way from a wallaby - it is bound to happen one day, but he needs experience and size. He is too easy to shift off the ball at the moment.

There are a few options at 6, with Higginbotham standing out in the Reds games so far this year. Mowen and Douglas could also be used in this role. I would be more worried about 8. Palu is often injured, and even when he is not he can't play a full game.

And remember the first test of the year is unlikely to have a full selection of players due to the scheduling of S15 matches.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. James Slipper
4. Nathan Sharpe
5. James Horwill
6. Dave Dennis
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu (Mowen assuming he's not fit)
9. Will Genia
10. Berrick Barnes
11. Digby Ioane
12. James O'Connor
13. Ben Tapuai
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. Kurtley Beale
16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
18. Hugh Pyle
19. Liam Gill Mowen/Higgers
20. Ben Lucas/Nic White
21. Quade Cooper
22. Christian Lealiifano/Rob Horne another outside back
Disagree with some of your other comments but with one or two small amendments that side looks pretty solid.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Based on form this year, Hooper > Gill and would, in my view, be Pocock's back up.

And, shock horror, Sheehan > Genia.

Kepu > Slipper too.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Based on form this year, Hooper > Gill and would, in my view, be Pocock's back up.

And, shock horror, Sheehan > Genia.

Kepu > Slipper too.
Can't disagree with your form statements, but form doesn't pick Wallabies teams, Robbie does.

Sheehan will never play another test, Kepu is a better switch-hitter and neither Hooper nor Gill will get a look in for the match XXII.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
1. Benn Robinson
3. James Slipper

I'm not a fan of Kepu swapping sides even if he's doing it as a reserve. Kepu should start at 3 with either Slipper or Holmes on the bench.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm not a fan of Kepu swapping sides even if he's doing it as a reserve. Kepu should start at 3 with either Slipper or Holmes on the bench.
You realise that then either Slipper or Holmes has to switch sides? No matter what, in modern rugby one prop has to be able to switch...

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
I for one would not select him. I think we need to pick on form and not on past history. If there is no inform player in his position that can do what he can do then select him, but make the players earn their spot
Plus, chances are at this rate he won't even play for the Tahs this year...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Scotland test is Tue, Jun 5 with these games a few days before.

Friday, June 1Venue
Crusaders v Highlanders Christchurch Stadium
Rebels v Brumbies AAMI Park
Saturday, June 2Venue
Blues v Chiefs Eden Park
Waratahs v Hurricanes Sydney Football Stadium
Lions v Sharks Coca-Cola Park
Bulls v Stormers Loftus Versfeld
BYE: Cheetahs, Force, Reds

I don't expect Deans to run out a first choice unit with Wales lining up on the 9th

So I would pick

15 Jesse Mogg
14 Dom Shipperley
13 Inman
12 Ben Tapuai
11 Tom Kingston
10 Christian Lealiifano
9 Nic White
8 Ben Mowen
7 Hooper
6 Peter Kimlin
5 Hugh Pyle
4 Luke Jones
3 Salesi Ma’afu
2 Nathan Charles
1 Kieran Longbottom

16 James Hanson
17 Sekope Kepu
18 Kane Douglas
19 Brett Sheehan
20 Nick Cummins
21 Bernard Foley

and the more I think about it, there might be more Force/Reds players because they have the bye

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry Swarley, but there's no chance that Gill is ahead of Hooper on recent form...

But I'll concede it's early days and there's the Deans factor...

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
You realise that then either Slipper or Holmes has to switch sides? No matter what, in modern rugby one prop has to be able to switch...

Yeap and both of them can do it better than Kepu.

Kepu's exactly what we want at a tighthead, an unmovable object. He also seems to struggle switching on the fly/with preparation to Loosehead after spending signficant time at Tighthead.

Slipper and Holmes on the otherhand switch during the Super competition so are more accustomed to playing on either side.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Slipper is playing better then Kepu, so he starts. And anyone who thinks Dennis should start ahead of Higginbotham has lost their minds. Higgers has been in the top 3 or so performers from Australia this year. Not to say Dennis hasn't played well, he has and should be on the bench, but definatly Higginbotham to start.

1- Robinson
2- Moore
3- Slipper
4- Pyle
5- Horwill
6- Higginbotham
7- Pocock
8- Palu
9- Genia
10- Barnes
11- Ioane
12- O'Connor
13- Tapuai
14- Ashley-Cooper
15- Beale

Bench: Hanson/Polota-Nau, Kepu, Douglas/Jones, Dennis, Hodgson, Kingi, McCabe

Notes
Prop: See statement above. Cowan and Holmes should be in the squad as back-ups.

Hookers: Tatafu hasnt been at his best, while Hanson has been quite good. If Chibba improve his throwing I'd have him as Moore's back-up.

Locks: No Sharpe because he is retiring, it'd be better to give players like Pyle,Douglas and Jones a chance

Blindside: See previous statement

Openside: No Gill, No Hooper. Hodgson is still the countries best back up 7.

Number 8: Palu is a machine. period. Mowen and McCalman will be around the squad.

Halfback: Genia has been shithouse, but will still play. Kingi and possibly Lucas will back up because of their utility value. Sheehan is too old for a recall, whilst White hasn't played enough.

Inside Backs: Self-explanatory. Barnes or JOC (James O'Connor) can switch positions. Lealiafano can be considered as a back up. Pat McCabe to bench or swap with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (rather AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) under the high ball). Tapuai has been the only performer at 13. Horne doesn't deserve a look in.

Outside Backs: Lot of problems here with injuries to Mitchell and Turner, along with Morahan and Davies' shit form. I'd like to see Shipperely, Kingston, Cummins and Mogg around the squad.

This is still a while away so obviously alot will change, and knowing Deans he will fuck it up somehow.

W

What2040

Slipper is playing better then Kepu, so he starts. And anyone who thinks Dennis should start ahead of Higginbotham has lost their minds. Higgers has been in the top 3 or so performers from Australia this year. Not to say Dennis hasn't played well, he has and should be on the bench, but definatly Higginbotham to start.

1- Robinson
2- Moore
3- Slipper
4- Pyle
5- Horwill
6- Higginbotham
7- Pocock
8- Palu
9- Genia
10- Barnes
11- Ioane
12- O'Connor
13- Tapuai
14- Ashley-Cooper
15- Beale

Bench: Hanson/Polota-Nau, Kepu, Douglas/Jones, Dennis, Hodgson, Kingi, McCabe

Notes
Prop: See statement above. Cowan and Holmes should be in the squad as back-ups.

Hookers: Tatafu hasnt been at his best, while Hanson has been quite good. If Chibba improve his throwing I'd have him as Moore's back-up.

Locks: No Sharpe because he is retiring, it'd be better to give players like Pyle,Douglas and Jones a chance

Blindside: See previous statement

Openside: No Gill, No Hooper. Hodgson is still the countries best back up 7.

Number 8: Palu is a machine. period. Mowen and McCalman will be around the squad.

Halfback: Genia has been shithouse, but will still play. Kingi and possibly Lucas will back up because of their utility value. Sheehan is too old for a recall, whilst White hasn't played enough.

Inside Backs: Self-explanatory. Barnes or JOC (James O'Connor) can switch positions. Lealiafano can be considered as a back up. Pat McCabe to bench or swap with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (rather AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) under the high ball). Tapuai has been the only performer at 13. Horne doesn't deserve a look in.

Outside Backs: Lot of problems here with injuries to Mitchell and Turner, along with Morahan and Davies' shit form. I'd like to see Shipperely, Kingston, Cummins and Mogg around the squad.

This is still a while away so obviously alot will change, and knowing Deans he will fuck it up somehow.

generally agree Tiger,
Reckon Palu is terrific - just brings size and always makes that advantage line - Higgers has really stepped up this year behind an underperforming pack - Slipper regularly tops or nearly tops tackle count week in and out - is an 80 minute player as opposed to Kepu and even Robbo (who still needs to do some more work around the field). Alexander has also been playing well. TPN just doesn't put in as he should (absolute game breaker when he WANTS to be) and would slot Hansen onto the bench. IMO the most contensious selection is Genia - is his selection based on form or potential. If on form then others warrant selection (dare I say it).

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just an aside; if we read the self-announced job description of Totality Tony (McGahan), surely he will be wanting to have a significant role in 2012 Wallaby selections.

Given recent history, this might be A Good Thing. Time will tell.

Deans' leaking to Growden that he was interested in Vuna for the Wallabies, put the fear of the Almighty into me as to where he was headed to this year.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Ita Vea was the perfect super sub for the Brumbies on the weekend. I think he made something like 6 carries in the first 16 phases while he was on the pitch. That's the kind of impact the Wallabies lack from the bench and I think they should give him a shot... He looks every bit Australia's next Palu

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Ita Vea was the perfect super sub for the Brumbies on the weekend. I think he made something like 6 carries in the first 16 phases while he was on the pitch. That's the kind of impact the Wallabies lack from the bench and I think they should give him a shot... He looks every bit Australia's next Palu

He also sat Bismarck on his arse when the Battleship tried to tackle him. Not many players in world rugby can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.