• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
There is a lot of focus on the backrow and particularly who will back up Pocock for this years tests. I think that whoever is picked, will start plenty of games, as it is unlikely Pocock will be fit and healthy for all matches.

Hodgeson's expierience would have to make him favourite for Wales, Scotland and the new championships, but I would love to see Hooper for the spring tour. I think he has shown that he can lift to a level that none of the other candidates can or have to date. I would also like to see him backup Hodgeson if Pocock does get injured.

Of the other potential opensides, I still rate Robinson as better than Gill and it surprises me that some reds supporters seem to bypass him, he is far more physical and intimidating, which is exactly what the reds need, especially now. Robinson will start more games for the reds this year, which will all but exclude Gill from consideration. I think Gill will probably go and captain the U20 team, as the Reds have all june off.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
At the moment, I would say that the leading candidates to play in the Wallaby backrow are:

Pocock, Higginbotham, Palu, Dennis, Hooper and Hodgson.

Outsiders would be: Elsom, Samo, Gill, Saffy, Vaea.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
This would be my pick if I was selecting the team to play Wales;

Starting Backrow:
Higgers, Pocock, Palu

Back-ups:
Dennis, Hooper, Vaea

A good blend of youth and experience.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeap and both of them can do it better than Kepu.

Kepu's exactly what we want at a tighthead, an unmovable object. He also seems to struggle switching on the fly/with preparation to Loosehead after spending signficant time at Tighthead.

Slipper and Holmes on the otherhand switch during the Super competition so are more accustomed to playing on either side.
Well Keps does switch for the Tahs too. Fair call though. To be honest, I'd prefer to see him starting but didn't want to be too Tahocentric.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
This would be my pick if I was selecting the team to play Wales;

Starting Backrow:
Higgers, Pocock, Palu

Back-ups:
Dennis, Hooper, Vaea

A good blend of youth and experience.
You could do worse. Would you flip 'em for the Scotland test?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Hooper Hooper Hooper! C'mon guys he hasn't been Wallaby worthy yet. It's not like we are desperate for an openside and need to throw in a young guy early. Pocock will play 80 minutes every game, and Hodgson would perform better then Hooper/Robinson/Gill would at international level anyway.

Also lets look at the opensides Hooper has started against: Keegan Daniel (Sharks), Doug Tiejtens (HIGH), Brussouw (CHE). He didnt start when the Brumbies played the Force, and Pocock, whilst against Brussouw he was outplayed imo, as most players do against Brussouw.

Potential yes, Pocock back-up no.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think he should definitely be backin in the squad though. At this stage I think he has done more than any other openside to deserve that. I wouldn't be upset if Gill got to come along to training though.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hooper Hooper Hooper! C'mon guys he hasn't been Wallaby worthy yet. It's not like we are desperate for an openside and need to throw in a young guy early. Pocock will play 80 minutes every game, and Hodgson would perform better then Hooper/Robinson/Gill would at international level anyway.

Also lets look at the opensides Hooper has started against: Keegan Daniel (Sharks), Doug Tiejtens (HIGH), Brussouw (CHE). He didnt start when the Brumbies played the Force, and Pocock, whilst against Brussouw he was outplayed imo, as most players do against Brussouw.

Potential yes, Pocock back-up no.

Hooper came off the bench against the Cheetahs, and not surprisingly that's when the Brumbies began to dominate towards the end of the match and Brussouw went quiet....

But there's no denying that he is currently the form openside backup for Pocock...

And it's not like Pocock will play 80 minutes of EVERY game... I seem to recall a World Cup pool match against Ireland where we were desperately in need of a quality openside...

You can never have too much depth...

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't blame people getting excited over Hooper. In all fairness people had Gill lined up for a Wallaby jersey well before time.

Hodgson is probably the most deserving but I think we need to move on and run a young gun.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
To add to my point, how can we select Gill or Hooper when neither have been the first choice 7 for their side this year? I'm not against having them around the squad or anything, but they are still well behind Hodgson in my opinion. Plus do we really want to blood them against Warburton (who is also a freak).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hooper has been the Brumbies' first choice 7 for the past 3 weeks and has been one of the most influential players on the field in each of those games, and made his mark when he came on against the Cheetahs back in the Brumbies' second match...

And they've only played 5 games...

There's no sign he'll be returning to the bench anytime soon...

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I like the thought of a Horwill and Pyle locking combination.

Our front row options are looking healthy with players from all five franchises putting their hands up to be noticed.

I think Charles is ready to be blooded as Moore's backup. They are by far the form hookers in our stable.

Number eight is an interesting one. I like Vaea but feel reluctant to select players who have not been playing the position. Mowen is the pick of the crop at the moment.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's off at the end of the year... so I guess he's available, but I wonder if Deans will select him knowing he's leaving?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I like the thought of a Horwill and Pyle locking combination.

Our front row options are looking healthy with players from all five franchises putting their hands up to be noticed.

I think Charles is ready to be blooded as Moore's backup. They are by far the form hookers in our stable.

Number eight is an interesting one. I like Vaea but feel reluctant to select players who have not been playing the position. Mowen is the pick of the crop at the moment.
He hasn't been bad or anything but Hanson has stood out for me, and then you have Polota-Nau who will always be picked.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Does Pyle call the lineout for the Rebels?

That will be an important factor when finding a locking partner for Horwill as he's not a lineout general...
I don't have the answer but surely it is either him or Delve.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)

Vaea should be selected to play the same role he has been playing at the Brums. A versatile backrower who comes on as an impact player in the last 20-30... I cant think of anyone in Australian Rugby who makes as big an impact off the bench.

Imagine swapping out Moore and Palu with 20 to go and replacing them with TPN and Vaea. That would pack a punch!

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
The biggest issue for me is the back row. I think it's clear that Australia's best backrowers are Pocock, Hodgson, Hooper, Gill, Palu, Vaea, Dennis and Higginbotham. I don't consider Elsom to be a part of that elite group anymore seeing as he's perpetually injured, and when he has been available for selection he's been nothing spectacular. The biggest question regards which is the best combination. Pocock is undoubtedly the best openside in the country (if not the world) so he's automatically in at #7. Palu, if fit, is our premier Number Eight but that's a massive "if". His fitness is a massive issue and he cannot be relied upon. Our biggest concern, however, is Blindside Flanker. Higginbotham is the form #6 in Super Rugby, but it's not Test Rugby. He's a known "seagull" and with someone like Palu I don't know if Higgers is the best fit. Dennis presents another option however he is largely untested at Wallaby level. I think for this year our best two options (with the current injury situation) are:

Option A)
6. Dennis
7. Pocock
8. Palu
-------------
19. Vaea (impact player coming on early in the second half for Palu; can cover all three back-row positions)

Option B)
6. Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Dennis
-------------
19. Palu

I don't expect Deans to run out a first choice unit with Wales lining up on the 9th
So I would pick

15 Jesse Mogg
14 Dom Shipperley
13 Mitch Inman
12 Ben Tapuai
11 Tom Kingston
10 Christian Lealiifano
9 Nic White
8 Ben Mowen
7 Michael Hooper
6 Peter Kimlin
5 Hugh Pyle
4 Luke Jones
3 Salesi Ma’afu
2 Nathan Charles
1 Kieran Longbottom
------------------
16 James Hanson
17 Sekope Kepu
18 Kane Douglas
19 Brett Sheehan
20 Nick Cummins
21 Bernard Foley
22 ----------------
and the more I think about it, there might be more Force/Reds players because they have the bye

Remember what happened against Samoa?

Status
Not open for further replies.