• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Digby (or anyone) wouldn't have a contract with the ARU unlike all the Players with the Australian Super Rugby teams.

Not an insurmountable problem but something that would need to be worked through

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
How is the insurance handled for the European/Japanese based players coming back in, if as has been reported elsewhere, they are probably not on an ARU contract?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How is the insurance handled for the European/Japanese based players coming back in, if as has been reported elsewhere, they are probably not on an ARU contract?

It's covered under regulation 9 of the World Rugby handbook.

http://www.worldrugby.org/WR (World...14 GF IRB Handbook Master English Version.pdf

Insurance

9.17 The relevant obligations relating to a Union’s insurance for Players where a Union exercises its Right to Release are set out in Appendix 3 to this Regulation 9.

9.18 For the purposes of this Regulation 9, while a Player is on International Duty (as defined in Appendix 3) it is a condition of the Right to Release that the Union requesting the Player’s release under this Regulation 9 shall have the financial arrangements or insurance in place which meet the requirements set out in Appendix 3. A Union selecting a Player pursuant to this Regulation 9 shall, if requested to do so by any Player, Primary Employer (as defined in Appendix 3) or any other party having demonstrated to the satisfaction of World Rugby that it has a valid interest provide a certificate or other satisfactory evidence of compliance with the financial arrangements or insurance cover set out in Appendix 3.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Mike Ala'alatoa.

It might be an insurance thing. My understanding is that insurance coverage is needed when a player contracted with a different team is brought into the squad. The same isn't needed when it is an Australian team.

Next season it looks like there will be three Aussie players playing Super Rugby for non-Australian teams with one a former Wallaby (Ioane, Quirk, Ala'alatoa). I don't think the ARU would look at changing the rules unless there was a lot more players in the same situation.
Pete Samu is Aussie too (in fact, isn't he a Vic boy) isn't he? And McDuling is still with the Shorks too I think (albeit with 0 game time).

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
*Totes.

EDIT: Nope. Urban Dictionary tells me I'm wrong. "Totz" is apparently a word. Must be some filthy Americanism.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
WALLABIES 36-PLAYER TRAIN-ON SQUAD
Allan Ala'alatoa* (0 Tests)
Adam Ashley-Cooper (114 Tests)
Adam Coleman (1 Test)
Quade Cooper (58 Tests)
Kane Douglas (23 Tests)
Scott Fardy (33 Tests)
Israel Folau (41 Tests)
Bernard Foley (30 Tests)
Nick Frisby (2 Tests)
Will Genia (66 Tests)
Matt Giteau (102 Tests)
James Hanson (10 Tests)
Dane Haylett-Petty (3 Tests)
Reece Hodge* (0 Tests)
Michael Hooper (54 Tests)
Rob Horne (32 Tests)
Sekope Kepu (66 Tests)
Samu Kerevi (2 Tests)
Tevita Kuridrani (34 Tests)
Ben McCalman (48 Tests)
Sean McMahon (9 Tests)
Drew Mitchell (70 Tests)
Luke Morahan (2 Tests)
Stephen Moore (c) (105 Tests)
Dean Mumm (46 Tests)
Nick Phipps (42 Tests)
David Pocock (56 Tests)
Tatafu Polota-Nau (64 Tests)
Tom Robertson* (0 Tests)
Rob Simmons (62 Tests)
Scott Sio (18 Tests)
Will Skelton (15 Tests)
James Slipper (77 Tests)
Toby Smith (4 Tests)
Lopeti Timani* (0 Tests)
Matt To'omua (Oops)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So, LT in and Palu out. Changing of the guard?

Still quite a few there who won't be around for the 2019 RWC. When will they be shed I wonder.

Also noticed - no To'omua. Maybe he's being released early. And no Lealiifano. Doesn't do much good heading the Aus conference does it?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To'omua is there:

Wallabies 36-man train-on squad

Allan Ala'alatoa, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Adam Coleman, Quade Cooper, Kane Douglas, Scott Fardy, Israel Folau, Bernard Foley, Nick Frisby, Will Genia, Matt Giteau, James Hanson, Dane Haylett-Petty, Reece Hodge, Michael Hooper, Rob Horne, Sekope Kepu, Samu Kerevi, Tevita Kuridrani, Ben McCalman, Sean McMahon, Drew Mitchell, Luke Morahan, Stephen Moore, Dean Mumm, Nick Phipps, David Pocock, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Tom Robertson, Rob Simmons, Scott Sio, Will Skelton, James Slipper, Toby Smith, Lopeti Timani, Matt To'omua

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
No lealiifano is bullshit (unless hes injured) whilst he hasnt set the world on fire, he was still probably our best flyhalf this year. I believe he was named as the flyhalf in the australian super team of the year. no Gill makes sense when hes 4th in our number 7s picking order and heading overseas. Holmes is a bit baffling. Still a pretty great squad though.

Reactions: dru

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No lealiifano is bullshit (unless hes injured) whilst he hasnt set the world on fire, he was still probably our best flyhalf this year. I believe he was named as the flyhalf in the australian super team of the year.

o_O

It's 2016...... not 2012.

Lilo was not at all deserving of being in the Wallabies squad, and I would be surprised to see him named the best of 'anything' for this year.........

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
An article from Georgina Robinson today.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...o-cashed-up-europe-japan-20160729-gqge4v.html

"It doesn't stop there. Whitaker, Clarke and ARU director Brett Robinson sat on the selection panel that appointed Nick Stiles head coach of the Reds this week. They will work with the Force to install an Australian there. Cheika already has Steven Larkham earmarked as his successor. After presiding over a system that saw coaches cut adrift after failing to perform, the ARU is now using words like "nurture", "support" and "develop"."

The gist of the piece is that centralised coaching structure and support is the way forward for Aus rugby.

Me, I think this is a massive step forward, if and only if the old boy network is dismantled.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
o_O

It's 2016.. not 2012.

Lilo was not at all deserving of being in the Wallabies squad, and I would be surprised to see him named the best of 'anything' for this year...
http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/07/26/07/33/super-rugby-team-of-the-year

He was named in it, and i dont think lealiifano was good this year either, but hes certainly been better then Debreczeni, Harris, grant, McIntyre and slightly less average then foley. Jono lance would have been a shoe in if he actually got to play most of the season and he wasnt incredible either. Its not that Lealiifano is deserving of his spot, because if we are basing it on test or super rugby form from this year then most of the squad wouldnt deserve their spot.its that he was slightly less crappy then our other options.