• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2018 Spring Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Don't get that TSR. Quality player. He's the type of guy Australian Rugby loves to not love. Someone who does a lot of little things really well, but isn't the 'ideal player in that position. I think he is a very very quality player and great to have him in the mix there.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I didn't say that.

I was replying to why we haven't brought back other older players like Mowen and Fardy (because Fardy has been discarded and Mowen hasn't made himself available).

The actual reasons why we should pick him:
We have our two first choice outside centres injured in Reece Hodge and Tevita Kuridrani. Our third, in Kerevi, is injury prone, coming back from injury and also known to not perform in high pressure situations (like England).

So this leaves Naivalu, Folau and Petaia. All unproven at this level at outside centre. Petaia shows promise but he is literally just a kid. Folau is incredible but an outside centre he ain't. I actually like Naivalu here, but as I said unproven.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can play pretty much any position in the backs, he's Australia's third most capped player ever so probably has a bit of wisdom to share around (perfect mentor for our next prodigy in Petaia hey?).

Yeah he's 34 and probably lost a bit of pace, but he'd be easily one of our top defenders. And if Folau or Naivalu go down injured, what happens then? Who comes onto the bench?
Kerevi > Hodge at 13.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Kerevi > Hodge at 13.

I’m not sure that is proven. As usual one is better in attack and the other in D. To get a better view of relative strengths you’d also need to better balance out the barn dance.

I definitely prefer Kerevi, but we should be cautious of discounting Hodge too soon.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I’m not sure that is proven. As usual one is better in attack and the other in D. To get a better view of relative strengths you’d also need to better balance out the barn dance.

I definitely prefer Kerevi, but we should be cautious of discounting Hodge too soon.

If we play a distributor at 12 like Beale I think Kerevi is a better choice than Hodge to get us over the ad line in attack. If we had a hard, ball carrying 12 then that would even the playing field. That said I wasn't that convinced Hodge was completely rock solid in defence at 13 over the RC, I think Petaia is a better defender than both those two (based on Super form).

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don’t really get what the fuss is over Pete Samu either. Good player, yes, but not ever likely to challenge Hooper or Pocock IMO and, if one of them happened to be out there are numerous other configurations I’d prefer tha to bring him in.
He was largely playing 6 for the Crusaders, and we didn't have any available 6's at the time. He performed well in the Ireland series and hasn't done much since, like the rest of them.

Agree he seems to be more of a 7. He carries the ball quite well (Although, not as good as Dempsey) and is strong over the ball. To be honest, he's probably a better bench option than Hanigan.

If everyone was fit and available i'd have him on my bench.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He’s about the same size as Hooper or Pocock so I would only have in the 23 if one of them is out. Both of them are 80 minute players as well. Better to have a larger lineout playing backrower on the bench.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He’s about the same size as Hooper or Pocock so I would only have in the 23 if one of them is out. Both of them are 80 minute players as well. Better to have a larger lineout playing backrower on the bench.
Yeah sounds good, don't have any (except Hanigan).

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tui, Cottrell, Holloway, Dempsey and soon Valentini and Naisarani. Maybe even Simmons, who I would have at 6 ahead of Hanigan right now.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Tui, Cottrell, Holloway, Dempsey and soon Valentini and Naisarani. Maybe even Simmons, who I would have at 6 ahead of Hanigan right now.
Tui didn't show any particularly great form and our lineout was plenty dysfunctional with him in it. Cottrell has literally never played for the Wallabies but i really doubt he'd be test standard. Naisarani isn't available. Holloway clearly not good enough, doesn't even play backrow for the Tahs. Valetini might be in the future, barely played any Super rugby this season.

Simmons, lol.

Also, Dempsey is your starting 6.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Let’s not forget Jones, Fardy and Mowen(doubtful) none of whom are in the squad.
If Hanigan is up to the gig then so are all of those blokes I mentioned bar maybe Mowen and Simmons.
It’s an absolute mystery as to why both Cottrell and Holloway have not been at least be given a trot off the bench.

It’s water under the bridge now. All or most of them are not in the squad and/or are ineligible.
Dempsey is the only addition in the backrow. Hope he’s up to it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Let’s not forget Jones, Fardy and Mowen(doubtful) none of whom are in the squad.
If Hanigan is up to the gig then so are all of those blokes I mentioned bar maybe Mowen and Simmons.
It’s an absolute mystery as to why both Cottrell and Holloway have not been at least be given a trot off the bench.

It’s water under the bridge now. All or most of them are not in the squad and/or are ineligible.
Dempsey is the only addition in the backrow. Hope he’s up to it.
You must not have watched much of the Tahs this season. He lost his position to Wells, who is distinctly average. He then only regained his spot by switching to the second row.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Holloway was a bit better this season, but still does not look anything like enough to be in the national team. Looks to have the skills, and the physique, but something is missing. A bit like Luke Jones used to be.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
With the Pooper locked in, Higgers is naturally the penultimate suggestion - after Fardy. Crazy that neither will be ocnisdered.

Then I think Dempsey/ Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (ne Tui).

Higgers aggressive lineout style takes the pressure off more passive jumpers like Coleman and Rodda. It then also reduces the need to keep Simmons around (although he did have an improved gave against NZ)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There's a photo on Rugby.com.au showing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Jed Holloway training in Japan. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) looks to have quite a few kilos extra on him than Holloway does. Is there really any chance of him playing in Europe? and if not, wtf is he there?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's a photo on Rugby.com.au showing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Jed Holloway training in Japan. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) looks to have quite a few kilos extra on him than Holloway does. Is there really any chance of him playing in Europe? and if not, wtf is he there?

Something, something......... mentoring?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
They need to be looking at the most balanced back row as opposed to choosing the 3 best back rowers. But whoever is the 3rd must be able to front up at the coal face, have a decent running game and be more than semi-confident in the lineout.

We don’t ask for much..........

Status
Not open for further replies.