• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2018 Spring Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
They need to be looking at the most balanced back row as opposed to choosing the 3 best back rowers. But whoever is the 3rd must be able to front up at the coal face, have a decent running game and be more than semi-confident in the lineout.

We don’t ask for much....
Well, to be fair, it isn’t really over the top to expect a test level backrower to tick those boxes.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Higgers aggressive lineout style takes the pressure off more passive jumpers like Coleman and Rodda. It then also reduces the need to keep Simmons around (although he did have an improved gave against NZ)

Simmo was awesome in that game. Come the time come the man.

Just saying.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I expect Dempsey to be the starting six against Wales and England. I thought he made a noticeable difference when he came on against NZ.

whilst I do agree, my only concern is that he has not played much and will be again expected be a test rugby player.

I think there could have been an argument to let him have a full off season, and get strong and fit

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I expect Dempsey to be the starting six against Wales and England. I thought he made a noticeable difference when he came on against NZ.

Yeah, and even for a few minutes after he came on before he ran out of puff. He was hardly involved in the game at all.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Nah, I give us a bit more chance than that. Not much more, but a bit. If we pick the right 23, and play out of our skins, and Popgun Foley kicks reasonably well, etc etc, we will give it a shake.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nah, I give us a bit more chance than that. Not much more, but a bit. If we pick the right 23, and play out of our skins, and Popgun Foley kicks reasonably well, etc etc, we will give it a shake.
Actually think Foley has been kicking alright, that one up and under to Folau aside.

Still, South Africa had them beat in the series at home and still lost to them away. I just can't see it.

I note that Naisarani has gone with them. Is he available now? or is he just hanging out to learn pending selection next year?

A backrow containing Dempsey and Naisarani might actually provide us with some gainline ball.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
how does Naisarani change our potential backrow dynamics for 2019?

will it be a straight pocock, hooper, Naisarani?

Or will this finally push one of the pooper to the bench?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
how does Naisarani change our potential backrow dynamics for 2019?

will it be a straight pocock, hooper, Naisarani?

Or will this finally push one of the pooper to the bench?

I'd go Hooper/Pocock, Naisarani, Dempsey

With whichever of Hooper or Pocock pushed to the bench.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I agree, I think Simmons will start with Coleman given his performance against NZ and his lineout abilities.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Naisarani needs to get back to 2017 form. He was a bit patchy for the Brumbies, hopefully being back with Wessels will sort it out.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Pocock all day every day, bring hooper on for the last 20-30 and watch him go nuts
Depends on the opposition. Genuinely think the ABs have Pocock covered, and he's a bit of a one trick pony. Hooper is faster, more mobile, is equally as good in defence, links better, etc.

Against the northern sides i'd start Pocock where he's more likely to be effective at the breakdown and the games are tighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.