• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
For mine if Pocock is fit, he starts. If he isn’t fit or if there is concerns around his fitness then, regardless of how good he is, he misses out altogether. I can understand Hooper retaining his spot purely on the basis of his own strengths. I can even understand it if it comes down to a straight decision between Pocock & Hooper, even though I would go with Pocock myself.

But I don’t really get the rational that Pocock needs to be managed so he comes off the bench. If you can’t start him due to injury/fitness concerns then I don’t see how he can be in the 23 at all. Yes, he would make some impact in the last 20, but he is not an impact player as such.

So, on that basis you can probably measure him up for jersey 20 right now.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Pretty average display from KB (Kurtley Beale) against the Jaguares. I don’t think he is the one to play 15. Maybe a bench spot?
The whole Tahs side was under the pump for most of the game but it was his decision making that cost them a few times and put them out of the game.

Is it possible that Pococks presser on Tuesday is not about his return and where he will play post RWC?

S

Show-n-go

If Pocock and Hooper are both In the 23 then Pocock should start, Pocock is way more likely to get injured than Hooper, so if you start Hooper on then bring Pocock on and he gets injured you’re screwed. I think Hooper would also be way more dynamic as a finisher off the bench

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Pretty average display from KB (Kurtley Beale) against the Jaguares. I don’t think he is the one to play 15. Maybe a bench spot?
The whole Tahs side was under the pump for most of the game but it was his tackling that cost them a few times and put them out of the game.

Is it possible that Pococks presser on Tuesday is not about his return and where he will play post RWC?
Fixed it for you.

Just leave DHP there. It's where he belongs. KB (Kurtley Beale) can fight it out with Hodge for bench utility.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
After this weekend's matches, my Wallabies starting line up would be:
1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. AAA
4. Arnold
5. Rodda
6. Jones
7. Hooper (but you make a great point TSR)
8. Naisarani
9. Genia
10. Cooper (don't think you can have a KK midfield with Foley)
11. Korobeite (but I am really not convinced)
12. Kerevi
13. Kuridrani
14. Maddocks
15. DHP

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Tupou
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Coleman (form depending)
20. Pocock
21. McDermott (is Nic White actually an option, if so- him)
22. Foley
23. Beale

Feel like you'd get stacks of impact from a bench like that.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
On the form of the season the team I'd like to see, but I know have no chance of seeing is:-

1. Sio
2. Rangi
3. AAA
4. Arnold
5. Rodda
6. Salaki-Loto
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani/Samu
9. Genia
10. Foley
12. Kerevi
13. Kurindrani
11. Koriobete
14. Maddocks
15. DHP

16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Smith/Kepu/Tupou (all having their ups and downs)
19. Coleman
20. McDermot
21. Cooper (his inconsistency is what is holding him back from starting and honestly if there was another option genuinely I wouldn't have him in the 23 these days. The only thing that gets Foley there is he is relatively consistent even though it is far from outstanding.)
22. Hodge
23. Banks

Do I think the Wallabies can win with this side. Not with Cheika coaching and having nothing more than motivational speeches that stopped working two years ago.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
After this weekend's matches, my Wallabies starting line up would be:
1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. AAA
4. Arnold
5. Rodda
6. Jones
7. Hooper (but you make a great point TSR)
8. Naisarani
9. Genia
10. Cooper (don't think you can have a KK midfield with Foley)
11. Korobeite (but I am really not convinced)
12. Kerevi
13. Kuridrani
14. Maddocks
15. DHP

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Tupou
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Coleman (form depending)
20. Pocock
21. McDermott (is Nic White actually an option, if so- him)
22. Foley
23. Beale

Feel like you'd get stacks of impact from a bench like that.

Slipper wasn't great on the weekend, and Sio was, he would be starting for me and Slipper on the bench. I would probably be picking Speight or Pulu instead of Korobeite, there form has been better, and unsure if Maddocks should be there but don't know who else to pick maybe Banks.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
On the form of the season the team I'd like to see, but I know have no chance of seeing is:-

1. Sio
2. Rangi
3. AAA
4. Arnold
5. Rodda
6. Salaki-Loto
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani/Samu
9. Genia
10. Foley
12. Kerevi
13. Kurindrani
11. Koriobete
14. Maddocks
15. DHP

16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
19. Coleman
20. McDermot
21. Cooper (his inconsistency is what is holding him back from starting and honestly if there was another option genuinely I wouldn't have him in the 23 these days. The only thing that gets Foley there is he is relatively consistent even though it is far from outstanding.)
22. Hodge
23. Banks

Do I think the Wallabies can win with this side. Not with Cheika coaching and having nothing more than motivational speeches that stopped working two years ago.

^^^^
That's close to the most likely team, bar Rangi.
Odd to have 4 backs on the bench. Can't say I've ever seen it and really I don't ever expect to see it.

Otherwise, I'd start with Sio and have Slipper on the bench. That is looking like the best use of them at the Brumbies.

Folau Fainga'a will be the hooker. Rangi probably won't even make the squad. After FF (Folau Fainga'a), I think it will be Uelese and Mafi/BPA.

If Pocock is fit, I'd have him at No 7 and leave Hooper out altogether. If not fit, then Hooper to 7 with no specific cover on the bench.

I think Foley will be the No 10, but if he shows some form there beforehand, I would prefer Matt To'omua or Christian Lealiifano in the 10 spot with both Kerevi and Kuridrani in the centres.

Koroibete probably has done enough lately to retain the right wing. Banks would be a leading option for No 11 with DHP at 15.

I would have Tupou on the bench along with Jones or Samu depending whether extra cover is wanted for the second row or the back row.

McDermott will not be in the squad. On form the backup No 9 should be Powell, but it will probably be one of Phipps or Gordon.

Cooper or To'omua/Lealiifano on the bench to cover 10 and 12. Hodge is good to cover all other backline spots.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'll confess I have seen as much of Slipper recently, but the appeal of him is that I feel Sio brings more bench impact. I feel like Slipper is the smarter player (I feel like I heard a commentator saying he was a 10 in school...) and maybe there is value in that earlier on in a game.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

1. Sio
2. Rangi
3. AAA
4. Arnold
5. Rodda
6. Salaki-Loto
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani/Samu
9. Genia
10. Foley
12. Kerevi
13. Kurindrani
11. Koriobete
14. Maddocks
15. DHP

16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
19. Coleman
20. McDermot
22. Hodge
23. Banks

No cover at 6,7,8.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. AAT
4. Rodda
5. Arnold
6. Jones
7. Pocock/Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Kurindrani
14. Hodge
15. Beale/DHP

16. Uelese/Rangi
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20. Samu
21. White
22. To'omua
23. DHP/Beale

If I ran a 6:2 I’d drop To'omua and bring in a lock

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
As an aside, the RWC jersey gets unveiled on Wednesday. Presumably it won't be straight gold so we should prepare for the usual onslaught of criticism and disgust.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
As an aside, the RWC jersey gets unveiled on Wednesday. Presumably it won't be straight gold so we should prepare for the usual onslaught of criticism and disgust.
It'd be sweet if it was just the indigenous one. That one is pretty great.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I think they've asked for permission to use that one for one of the pool games and the semi if we make it. No idea why we need permission though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah i don't get it.

I suppose if it was used every match it would lose some of it's appeal. I might buy one this year.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
No wonder Aus rugby in decline if the best back line we can come up with contains such uninspiring journeymen as Hodge and Haylett-Petty.

nobodysperfect

Frank Row (1)
At this stage of super rugby, balancing both form and experience I'd run with the following team and squad for the world cup

1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Rodda
5. Arnold
6. Jones
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Koroibete (need to be convinced)
12. Kerevi
13. Kuridrani
14. Maddocks
15. Haylet-Petty

16. Polota-Nau
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Lalakai-Soto
20. Pocock
21. Phipps
22. To'omua
23. Hodge

The 8 players I'd take to round out the squad would be:

24. Ulese (return from injury pending) otherwise Mafi
25. Kepu
26. Coleman
27. Samu
28. White
29. Cooper
30. Beale
31. Banks

Unlucky: Robertson, Rangi, Dempsey, Hanigan, Simmons, McCaffery, McDermott, Naivalu, Lealiifano, Pulu

Status
Not open for further replies.