• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
agreed. I was meant to write IF. I rate Samu over Dempsey at a WC anyday. Great starter against little teams, and great experience/utility to call upon

I think it depends a lot on combinations. I feel like Dempsey is a better fit in a squad with Hooper and Pocock because the latter two would play every key match if healthy and I don't see Samu also being in that 23 whereas I see Dempsey there.

Samu could be that player who misses out on the RWC squad altogether but in the event of one injury is not only in the squad but in our best 23.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think it depends a lot on combinations. I feel like Dempsey is a better fit in a squad with Hooper and Pocock because the latter two would play every key match if healthy and I don't see Samu also being in that 23 whereas I see Dempsey there.

Samu could be that player who misses out on the RWC squad altogether but in the event of one injury is not only in the squad but in our best 23.
Samu came off the bench in the Irish series, with Hooper and Poey starting and it worked quite well.

The Ireland series was the last time we approached anything near form at test level.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Samu came off the bench in the Irish series, with Hooper and Poey starting and it worked quite well.

The Ireland series was the last time we approached anything near form at test level.

Yeah, but we also didn't have Dempsey, Jones or Naisarani available.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Honestly, much as I am a fan of Samu, he shouldn't be starting and should only be on the bench if you're committed to the Pooper and are worried about an injury to Hooper.

If you aren't wedded to the idea of picking both Hooper and Pocock, then you need to pick one and build the backrow around it. With Hooper, you can get away with not picking Naisarani, so go with a backrow of Dempsey and McCaffrey. With Pocock, you can't, so pick Jones and Naisarani.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The Start Hooper finish with Poey, or the other way round is the way to go, as much as they are our best players, having them out doing each other with Naisarani and Jones/Dempsey/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (tall 6's) seems like such a power punch.. throw in Arnold and Rodda , and the front row of slipper sio finagaa aaaaaa and tupou you have a pretty mean pack good at scrum and lineouts.

and an awesome injection off the bench..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon they're almost always going to end up playing together though. Of your 3 backrowers, if two of them are required to play 80 minutes it would be very unusual for that not to include the 7.

S

Show-n-go

I think samu is the perfect ready made replacement if one of Hooper or Pocock go down (In my team one is starting, one on the bench), the likelihood of one of them getting injured is high so having Samu as a squad player and to play in the lesser pool games would be ideal

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I think Meakes should make the squad. Kerevi must play 12 so 13 would have to be Kuridrani or Meakes.

The last few times I have heard Cheika interviewed he raves about Salakaia-Loto so I am sure he will be in the 23.

This would be a good bench with a lot of impact;

Mafi
Tupou
Slipper
Salakaia-Loto
Hooper
McDermott
To'omua/Foley
Hodge/Beale

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think Meakes should make the squad. Kerevi must play 12 so 13 would have to be Kuridrani or Meakes.

The last few times I have heard Cheika interviewed he raves about Salakaia-Loto so I am sure he will be in the 23.

This would be a good bench with a lot of impact;

Mafi
Tupou
Slipper
Salakaia-Loto
Hooper
McDermott
To'omua/Foley
Hodge/Beale
McDermott is surely still behind Powell and Gordon who are both probably still behind Genia and Phipps.

Foley is also almost certain to start at this point.

I agree Hodge/Beale would be good bench options if not in the 15 due to their versatility.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With Nic White returning I think it puts the odds of McDermott, Powell or Gordon out to a pretty remote chance. I think Genia, White and Phipps will be the combo.

I just don't see how Meakes makes the 31. I reckon To'omua beats him as the backup 12 and that will be it as far as that position goes.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
With Nic White returning I think it puts the odds of McDermott, Powell or Gordon out to a pretty remote chance. I think Genia, White and Phipps will be the combo.

I just don't see how Meakes makes the 31. I reckon To'omua beats him as the backup 12 and that will be it as far as that position goes.
Agreed.

As much as I have disliked Phipps selection the past couple of years, the past month has been the best he’s played in years.

Beale I believe is the front runner for 15. So the bench will be Hodge (covers every position) and To'omua. Both offer goal kicking options if injuries happen

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hopefully Jordan Petaia makes a late run at selection and becomes one of two 13s. Of course Kerevi can slide out one with To'omua or Beale or even Hodge coming into 12.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hopefully Jordan Petaia makes a late run at selection and becomes one of two 13s. Of course Kerevi can slide out one with To'omua or Beale or even Hodge coming into 12.
yeah 13 is definitely a concern behind TK. Tk is in good form though.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
TK, Kerevi, Hodge and hopefully Petaia in the squad. A couple of others who are probably about ready to step up.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Petaia good but seriously can't see him coming back from a serious injury to make the world cup, it's not like he has that many runs on the board in Super Rugby or Tests.. I find it hard to believe he will make it.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Add Valentini to that list Jordan Uelese maybe but he has to have some game time for the Rebels first..

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Meakes is zero chance - fallen away form wise in terms of consistency as season gone on

Status
Not open for further replies.