• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Latest RWC squad prediction:

P: Sio, Slipper, Ala'alatoa, Kepu, Tupou (5)
H: Fainga'a, TPN, Uelese (3)
L: Rodda, Simmons, Coleman, Arnold (4)
BR: Hooper, Pocock, Naisarani, Jones, Salakaia-Loto, Dempsey (6) (18 forwards)
HB: Genia, Phipps, White (3)
FH: Foley, Cooper (2)
Centres: Kerevi, Kuridrani, To'omua (3)
Back 3: Beale, DHP, Hodge, Maddocks, Koroibete (5) (13 backs)

I reckon the bubble players are people like Cooper (can To'omua cover as backup 10?), Maddocks/Hodge and Petaia (left out above).

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
4 locks - 5 backrows

They will always pick simmons so id go

arnold coleman simmons rodda
jones tui naisarani poey hoops

If anyone misses out, it's simmons, at would be replaced by Dempsey at a stretch it Mccaffrey, Samu and Valetini are not options/out of form. Nothing Dempsey has done in his limited games has suggested he is a walk-in for a top 2 no.6 or no.8 position
Close to what I’d have but I think one of Coleman, Arnold and Simmons will miss out. Having Jones and Tui offers cover at lock. Dempsey or McCaffrey to take the free spot, with the lock that misses out on call incase someone gets injured

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
4 locks - 5 backrows

They will always pick simmons so id go

arnold coleman simmons rodda
jones tui naisarani poey hoops

If anyone misses out, it's simmons, at would be replaced by Dempsey at a stretch it Mccaffrey, Samu and Valetini are not options/out of form. Nothing Dempsey has done in his limited games has suggested he is a walk-in for a top 2 no.6 or no.8 position

I like the look of that backrow, but personally, I'd go with Arnold, Coleman, Rodda and Philip as the locks. I am sure that both Coleman and Rodda can call the lineouts, so we should at last be able to wean ourselves off Rob Simmons for once and for all.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All of the Australian teams have good lineouts, so unless Simmons is performing exceptional in other areas of his game there's really no need for his selection.............

Again, there's really no excuse for the Wallaby lineout to be as bad as it has been.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Simmons has generally had a good year. His workrate has been high in particular his tackling (second amongst locks).

His ball running is better than it normally is too.

I think it's very unlikely he misses out. If the group are Coleman, Rodda, Arnold and Philip that is very inexperienced. I can't see both Arnold and Philip making it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would think Arnold's form guarantees him a place..........

Philip is definitely the one to miss out, despite being the best lock at the Rebels.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I like the look of that backrow, but personally, I'd go with Arnold, Coleman, Rodda and Philip as the locks. I am sure that both Coleman and Rodda can call the lineouts, so we should at last be able to wean ourselves off Rob Simmons for once and for all.

Sorry I am with Braveheart in Simmons been very good this year both in line out and work rate. He deserves a bench spot at this point and at the minimum would be on the plane. Coleman been very poor but agree philips more likely to miss out and unlucky too.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Latest RWC squad prediction:

P: Sio, Slipper, Ala'alatoa, Kepu, Tupou (5)
H: Fainga'a, TPN, Uelese (3)
L: Rodda, Simmons, Coleman, Arnold (4)
BR: Hooper, Pocock, Naisarani, Jones, Salakaia-Loto, Dempsey (6) (18 forwards)
HB: Genia, Phipps, White (3)
FH: Foley, Cooper (2)
Centres: Kerevi, Kuridrani, To'omua (3)
Back 3: Beale, DHP, Hodge, Maddocks, Koroibete (5) (13 backs)

I reckon the bubble players are people like Cooper (can To'omua cover as backup 10?), Maddocks/Hodge and Petaia (left out above).
I would rather mafi then Tpn at this point. Samu and McCaffery the unlucky ones and Philips probably too.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think as a blanket rule just about all the realistic World Cup options in any position have either had a very good consistent season or the past month have reached the best form they have had in a few seasons.

Coleman, Dempsey and the past month for Quade have been the only iffy periods, and even then injuries or they played well in the first half of the season can be given as reason to justify inclusion.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I had JP Smith given understand eligible now at start of the season as possible RWC squad bolter - but not so sure now - not so sure as not monitored closely his recent form. Anyone think he is still a chance? Don't think he has been invited to any of the camps so perhaps not.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would rather mafi then Tpn at this point. Samu and McCaffery the unlucky ones and Philips probably too.

Jones, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Dempsey too similar - 2 out of those 3 and maybe add Samu. I am getting more convinced not a good idea to leave out Samu as his recent form hard to ignore and offers RWC squad more balance. Which means swapping Samu for Dempsey as Jones and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) would have to be already confirmed for RWC squad whilst Dempsey not been convincing enough with the strength of backrow stocks to be confirmed at this stage.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I had JP Smith given understand eligible now at start of the season as possible RWC squad bolter - but not so sure now - not so sure as not monitored closely his recent form. Anyone think he is still a chance? Don't think he has been invited to any of the camps so perhaps not.
He's a long way behind Slipper and Sio. There will be 5 props and it would be the 2 I mentioned plus AAAAA, Thor and Kepu at this point

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon Robertson has leapt back into the reckoning and I'd have his as the 6th prop if any of those 5 above was injured.

His return from a knee reco has been phenomenal given he returned within 7 months of it happening and his form has been good almost from the first game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I would think Arnold's form guarantees him a place....

Philip is definitely the one to miss out, despite being the best lock at the Rebels.
Rough on the bloke. I think he'd be primed for a move overseas. Wallaby quality but no clear path into the test setup. Any northern team would take him in a snap.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Coleman calling the lineouts last year was an absolute disaster.

I'd drop Coleman entirely a this point. In my opinion he's 5th behind (in order of selection) Rodda, Arnold, Simmons, Phillip then Coleman. You could also make the argument that Jones or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) would be ahead of him, given our backrow stocks are decent now.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rough on the bloke. I think he'd be primed for a move overseas. Wallaby quality but no clear path into the test setup. Any northern team would take him in a snap.

Philip has re-signed through to the end of 2021 which is great.

He's only 25 and next year he doesn't have Coleman and Arnold to compete against and Simmons will be turning 31 and likely getting phased out as he is very unlikely to figure in the next RWC cycle.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Close to what I’d have but I think one of Coleman, Arnold and Simmons will miss out. Having Jones and Tui offers cover at lock. Dempsey or McCaffrey to take the free spot, with the lock that misses out on call incase someone gets injured

my vote is simmons!

Status
Not open for further replies.