• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Show-n-go

Has Beale done enough to be the front runner for the 15 jersey?

I feel like he is playing pretty bloody well there and we need a firing KB (Kurtley Beale) if we have a chance of winning the World Cup, having DHP playing at 100% is never going to be a game breaker for us and we don’t have the talent to warrant having “safe” players

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)

I feel like he is playing pretty bloody well there and we need a firing KB (Kurtley Beale) if we have a chance of winning the World Cup, having DHP playing at 100% is never going to be a game breaker for us and we don’t have the talent to warrant having “safe” players
I assume that Cooper would be too much of a risk in favour of the Foley.

S

Show-n-go

I assume that Cooper would be too much of a risk in favour of the Foley.

I don’t think so, people could argue that and have a legit argument but I wouldn’t say that. Cooper has matured, coopers best is better than foley and these days I’d argue coopers and foleys worse are pretty similar. Plus I’d have the two K’s at centre which lends to coopers game more than foleys

Reactions: TSR

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I was one prior to KB (Kurtley Beale)’s switch to fullback not seeing him make the 23 now I definitely have him on the bench and if he keeps
playing like he did against the reds last night possibly starting at 15 ahead of DHP.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Beale still has a tendency to run cross field and to kick the pill away when in promising field position.
Samu Kerevi has taken on more of the playmaking load at the Reds and should be a walk up starter at 12. I would still favour DHP at 15 with Beale on the bench.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Beale still has a tendency to run cross field and to kick the pill away when in promising field position.
Samu Kerevi has taken on more of the playmaking load at the Reds and should be a walk up starter at 12. I would still favour DHP at 15 with Beale on the bench.

I wouldnt pick him in my team.

Beale is world class as an individual, but he brings issues to a team, in a similar nature to Quade Cooper.
Both are game winners, but imagine being the poor coach who is responsible for setting a defensive structure and having to shift players from one side of the filed to the other for the entire game to cover for someones lack of high school quality defense.
Players like Koribete would be better if they could just play their role and not cover for other players all game.
Beale is almost untouched as an attacking weapon when given his chance, but does this mostly from individual brilliance, he plays out of position in the attacking formation and throws similar miracle balls to players outside him that are inevitably dropped because they are a last second flick pass or no look pass. Once again similar to Quade Cooper.
Once again think of the poor attacking coach who has to design a system that is effective and consistent with an “individual” player in the team.
I dont think Australia can win the world cup through attack, it will be defence that will give us a chance, we wont score more than 20 points against the good teams so we need to limit their scoring.
Beale is exceptional, but I would not pick him in my team.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^
He was a good impact player from the bench in the last world cup, and ironically he was key defensively against Wales in that arm wrestle.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
KKK at 11/12/13 then?, some white guy at 14 (don't like maddocks, overhyped, naivalu is out of form, Banks is a bit greedy, is there really a starting option at 14 for the Wobblies anymore with DHP at 15?..if anything, i'd go for Hodge at 15 and move DHP to 14 to do what NZ did before with BB at 15 and Bender at 14.. a playmaker cover 15 and a fulback covering right wing..

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
KKK at 11/12/13 then?, some white guy at 14 (don't like maddocks, overhyped, naivalu is out of form, Banks is a bit greedy, is there really a starting option at 14 for the Wobblies anymore with DHP at 15?..if anything, i'd go for Hodge at 15 and move DHP to 14 to do what NZ did before with BB at 15 and Bender at 14.. a playmaker cover 15 and a fulback covering right wing..

watch it, that's racism. We don't have a quota
Hodge is meh.

Id have 11 Koro 14 DHP 15 Beale

Agreed.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Christian Lealiifano, Joe Powell, Scott Sio, James Slipper, Folau Fainga'a, Allan Ala'alatoa, Rory Arnold, Pocock, Valetini, Tom Banks, Tevita Kuridrani and Toni Pulu

Are there from the Brumbies, bit surprised that Samu, McCaffrey and Speight didn't get the call, recently Speight and Samu have been in great form, and before that McCaffrey has been awesome.

Don't know who made it from the other teams, I only saw the Brumbies bunch.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wow - really no Samu or Mccaffrey? Love to know which backrowers from ohters teams did get the nod.

No Samu is certainly surprising. McCaffrey has been injured for a while and is going to be a longshot to make it in a RWC year.

There is a comment in one of the articles that there are a fair few changes from camp to camp and they have tried to include a lot of options to at least one camp but cap the number invited to each camp to make it workable.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Samu playing well but with all the lock and back row talent hard to see him getting a gig
on the bench.

For me Arnold and Rodda are our starting locks, luke Jones as starting 6 ahead of Dempsey (but still close to call), Hooper starting seven, and nasarini starting 8. Then you have Simmons as bench lock/ 6 cover, Pocock as 7/8 cover and if were to go 6/2 bench then lukhan as additional lock / 6 cover.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Speight has had his chance in Gold I think. Even he scored a hat trick in every remaining match, Cheika won't touch him.

Samu is odd, good player and reliable.

Uelese there is interesting, he must have the highest ratio of Wallabies minutes to super rugby minutes. Latu's dismissal is timely for Mafi and Uelese. Rangi can feel a little aggrieved.

Was Hegarty invited? Getting better every weekend.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I wonder if Samu has been left out to allow a bit of a break?
McCaffrey I'd suspect is because he is injured.

Yet they send Valetini, anyway interesting to see who they have picked. McCaffrey probably should be there but more surprised Samu didn't go, his been in great form and I'd have him in the squad going to WC.

Status
Not open for further replies.