• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Lineout work is very good. But, by god, in what universe has he been any better or stronger than in previous years. As Adam84 says, there are many better than him and it's way beyond time for Cheika to admit his failing in continuing to pick him at Wallaby level.
He has been better and stronger this year in this universe. Not consistently so, though. Jones has impressed more than Hanigan but i dont really think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) has been that much better.

Id have McCaffrey ahead of both Hanigan and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) but no one else seems to rate him.

S

Show-n-go

The Brumbies fans are with you on this, the man is a machine. Fardy-like in his ability, workrate, and cerebral playstyle.

What’s not to like about a big man that can ball play

He would be the perfect sub to come off the bench for the wallabies and cause a bit of havoc

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A few random morning thoughts.........

I feel like McCaffrey will be forgotten about by the selectors if he doesn't get back onto the park soon..........

He's definitely one of the smarter backrower options we have.

Samu had another good game on the weekend, and I think we might need more players to have a couple of years in the Crusaders system for upskilling.

I wouldn't have Hanigan near the squad with the options available......... and the fact is that even without him, one of the following players will likely miss out - Hooper, Pocock, Dempsey, Samu, Naisarani, Jones and McCaffrey.

I like LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as a lock/backrow option, but seems to have drifted off form wise........

And Matt Philip might be one of the unluckiest players around, because after Rodda and Arnold he's probably the best Aussie lock this year.

I've noticed Kerevi has started kicking the ball more recently which is a good thing as he should be locked into the 12 jersey.

Beale is having a solid stint at fullback, and Banks is again peaking at the right end of the season.

Korobeite looked like he was going to become a dynamite test winger a couple of years ago, and now you would have to start considering whether he's good enough to make the squad........

And some common sense from Scott Johnson:

“I quite like the differences in rugby, I like to bring the skill of that. Because a maul is important in rugby, especially against the northern hemisphere sides. Dan (Brumbies’ coach, Dan McKellar) is a really good coach of that. We would be silly to not discuss that with him.”

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Brumbies have had a strong attacking maul for some time, but I believe Dan McKellar has added the starch to the defensive maul, as he did with the ACT Vikings in the NRC a couple of years ago. I saw recently that the Brumbies apparently haven't given a try away to a rolling maul in the Super Rugby season.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
London Irish have signed Rona, Phipps, Kepu and Coleman from Australia for 2019, they also signed Albert Tuisue(Rams 2017, Drua 2018) and Alivereti Veitokani(Drua 2018) from their performances in the National Rugby Championship at the end of last year.

Reds tried signing Veitokani, but RA rejected the bid. London Irish recruitment has been driven by Les Kiss, he has been recruiting heavily from Australia.

They've also got Benny Meehan, Oli Hoskins, Dave Porecki, Luke McLean, Saia Fainga'a and (retiring) Brendan McKibbin.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Who I think Cheika will take to the RWC
Sio, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Robertson, Kepu (5)
Uelese, Fainga'a, TPN (3)
Coleman, Simmons, Rodda, Salakaia-Loto (4)
Hooper, Pocock, Naisarani, Samu, Dempsey, Hanigan (6)
Genia, Phipps, White (3)
Foley, To'omua (2)
Kerevi, Kuridrani, Hodge (3)
Beale, DHP, Maddocks, Koroibete, Naivalu (5)

Standby: Slipper, Latu, Jones, Gordon, Meakes, Banks

Who I personally would take to the RWC:
Sio, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Robertson, Slipper
Uelese, Fainga'a, Rangi
Arnold, Rodda, Coleman, Simmons
Hooper, Pocock, Naisarani, Dempsey, Samu, Jones
Genia, White
Foley, Hegarty
Kerevi, Kuridrani, Hodge, Hunt
Beale, DHP, Maddocks, Koroibete, Naivalu

Standy: Kepu, TPN, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Gordon, To'omua, Speight

(And I'm sure I am missing somebody really obvious and am about to find out who....)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think it’s going to look different with the selection panel in place. Some players that have had a mortgage on been in squads might be in trouble, although the ones I’m thinking of (Simmons, Phipps, Hanigan, etc.) have been playing well lately so worth a spot if they are selected. Cheika will be able to swing some influence over the other two on the panel, but that’ll only work for 1 maybe 2 players and not 4/5 Cheika favorites that arguably haven’t justified their spots for years

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
^^^
I think Cheika will pick Slipper ahead of Robertson (I certainly would). Kepu there because he can play on both sides of the scrum.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In terms of frontrowers you'd definitely have to take the Brumbies starters and Slipper, as they've beaten every team they've come against this year, and then add Kepu and Tupou..........

I can't see any reason for Robertson to come into the squad, but would have him on standby.

Uelese is going to have to play some Super Rugby soon to come into contention.........

At this stage for hooker spots Fainga'a definitely, with TPN most likely, and Uelese a maybe.

Rangi the best performer after FF (Folau Fainga'a) this year, but I don't Cheika will bring in an uncapped hooker.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Robertson and Uelese are both just returning from long injury lay-offs, so comments as to whether they should/shouldn't be in the squad are a bit premature. I think both could find their way into the squad if they can really hit the ground running, but both have some ground to make up, and a slow return to form won't do it.

Speaking of hookers, while I think Faainga is the obvious number one, the guy who has most impressed me as next in line is Mafi from the Reds. I though he was definitely the best hooker on the ground on Friday night.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Uelese returns as good as he was two years ago then I'd definitely have him there, but he hasn't played much rugby the last two years and is running out of time to prove himself...........

With Robertson I'd have him on standby (wider squad leading into the RWC), and he would be an injury away from being in the squad, but I don't think he was ever at a level where you'd have to bring him in in place of the other options.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hegarty has been way better than i expected to be honest. Who's to say he couldn't keep improving?

His ceiling we've seen for the past six years. He's playing well for the Reds, but the Reds certainly aren't setting the world on fire.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
No love for your man in blue, Quade? Hegarty is a solid super player, but a world cup winner he is not.

I really rate Hegarty, and he could play FB/Wing against Uruguay (which I wouldn't want Quade to do). Also a better place kicker and defender, and would be an excellent and unselfish 31st man in terms of character. And I think his overall game has been better and more consistent than Quade this year. Just my opinion

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
4. Rodda
5. Arnold
6. Jones
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani

19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20. McCaffrey/Samu

Is, on paper, the best lock and backrow stocks we've had in years. That's leaving out Coleman, Phillips, Simmons, Pocock, Dempsey and Hanigan who are all there to provide excellent depth.

Cheika can have no excuse for a repeat of last years debacle with the talent at his disposal this year.

And, touch wood, it looks like we'll be near full strength come start of the test season.

Status
Not open for further replies.