• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wait Coleman leaving is confirmed?

D6HWLfTX4AIZxAJ.jpg

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
London Irish have signed Rona, Phipps, Kepu and Coleman from Australia for 2019, they also signed Albert Tuisue(Rams 2017, Drua 2018) and Alivereti Veitokani(Drua 2018) from their performances in the National Rugby Championship at the end of last year.

Reds tried signing Veitokani, but RA rejected the bid. London Irish recruitment has been driven by Les Kiss, he has been recruiting heavily from Australia.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well fuck them right off god damn.

Between the inexorable talent drain and this Izzy Folau nonsense my excitement for RWC and rugby in general is plumbing new depths.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Well fuck them right off god damn.

Between the inexorable talent drain and this Izzy Folau nonsense my excitement for RWC and rugby in general is plumbing new depths.

Come on, pull yourself together. The under 20s beat the Darkness!!!!!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Obviously there are a few going overseas but it doesn’t seem to me to be anyone in a position where we lack depth. Kepu has put in a great shift over his time and Tupou and AAA are more than ready to take the reigns at tighthead. Coleman hasn’t been in great form since 2017 and may have struggled to start anyway. Arnold is more of a loss as he is looking really good this year. Phipps and Rona are bench players at best and we have more talented players coming through in those positions anyway.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lack of strike runners is a problem. No Kerevi, Naivalu, Koroibete or Folau. Plenty of kickers, not much muscle.

Second row lightens up as well, more onus on Tui and Naisarani to muscle up. Probably see the like of Swain/Hockings etc get a chance in squads, but I'd rather shift Tui & Jones to lock and bring in the extra back rowers, then have people like valetini/dempsey miss out in order to accommodate a developing lock.

Plenty of Giteau rule people (Genia, Foley, Quade), so interesting to see if RA pushes its stance to demand availability of overseas players to the max considering our 10 stocks are low if both Foley and Quade go.

2020 31 man squad
Uelese Latu Fainga'a
Sio Slipper Ala'alatoa Thor Robertson
Phillips Rodda Salakai-Loto Jones
Valetini Naisarani Dempsey Samu Hoops
Genia White Gordon
Quade Foley
To'omua Hodge Tk Petaia
Maddocks DHP Banks Beale

31st position goes to Simmons/Mccaffrey/Hanigan/Meakes/Hunt/Pulu - tough to pick

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Obviously there are a few going overseas but it doesn’t seem to me to be anyone in a position where we lack depth. Kepu has put in a great shift over his time and Tupou and AAA are more than ready to take the reigns at tighthead. Coleman hasn’t been in great form since 2017 and may have struggled to start anyway. Arnold is more of a loss as he is looking really good this year. Phipps and Rona are bench players at best and we have more talented players coming through in those positions anyway.

UTG - I generally agree with your post, but think you're overegging Kepu's involvements over the past two years. AAA had already surpassed Keps last year and this year both AAA and Tupou are better.

On the other hand, Coleman is lucky to be in the running on the basis of his form this year.

UTReds - When, oh when, will we be fortunate enough to have seen the back of Rob Simmons? Given Rodda, Salakai-Loto and Jones are still in the picture next year, the fourth spot goes to Matt Philip. All four are streets ahead of Simmo.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
What Coleman and Arnold, when in form they are test level players, when out of form they offer depth to the squad. They will he missed.

Happy with the front tow depth, AAA, Tupou and Slipper all signed, just need Sio and we have two quality props in each position.

Halves and centre is an issue. RA should have thrown the house at Kerevi.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
UTG - I generally agree with your post, but think you're overegging Kepu's involvements over the past two years. AAA had already surpassed Keps last year and this year both AAA and Tupou are better.

On the other hand, Coleman is lucky to be in the running on the basis of his form this year.

UTReds - When, oh when, will we be fortunate enough to have seen the back of Rob Simmons? Given Rodda, Salakai-Loto and Jones are still in the picture next year, the fourth spot goes to Matt Philip. All four are streets ahead of Simmo.

Oh I hope you are right. To think he may make the WC cup squad, even if he is one of cheikas favourite sons, over the likes of Jones or Arnold, just hurts the rugby soul.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

You're probably right, I more meant he's been a great servant of the Wallabies over the entirety of his career and we can't really begrudge him going overseas now. Kepu's real value last year was his versatility when we were down a couple of looseheads.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Why are they easing Uelese back in so slowly? The word was that he was training the house down.
I have to say that Ned Hanigan has been impressive so far this year, and I have never been a fan. He looks stronger and is imposing himself physically. Lineout work has been very good too. No doubt a Cheika project and one that may pay dividends later this year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hanigan has played better this season.. But I'd take about 4 or 5 other players ahead of him still..

Luke Jones, Isi-Naisarani, Angus Cottrell, Salakai-Loto and Lachlan McCaffrey are all playing better IMO, and fill a similar role in that 6/utility backrower position that Hanigan is competing for come RWC2019.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Unfortunately for Hanigan I think he will likely be hampered by the fact he played too many games before he was up to scratch and it will be hard to swing opinion back in his favour.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Naisarani isnt really a 6. I dont reckon hes in direct competition with Hanigan etc.

They will be come RWC squad selection time, Luke Jones and Salakai-Loto already have a leg up on Hanigan because they’re playing well at lock as well. Naisarani may not be a 6, but he is competing for the same limited number of back row RWC squad position.

Come RWC squad selection, if a player isn’t the best player in their position, or close too, they need to offer the ability to play another position well as well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Why are they easing Uelese back in so slowly? The word was that he was training the house down.
I have to say that Ned Hanigan has been impressive so far this year, and I have never been a fan. He looks stronger and is imposing himself physically. Lineout work has been very good too. No doubt a Cheika project and one that may pay dividends later this year.

Lineout work is very good. But, by god, in what universe has he been any better or stronger than in previous years. As Adam84 says, there are many better than him and it's way beyond time for Cheika to admit his failing in continuing to pick him at Wallaby level.

Status
Not open for further replies.