• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Dan Carter and Jonny Wilkinson both are great defensiveflyhalves. How many world cups have they won? Probably add Lynagh to the list too.

Don't get me wrong, defence is important, but it's not what won those world cups. Look at the units all those players had around them, at 9, the back row, and in the centres. Without doubt those players flattered their own defensive stats.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The fact that they didn't need to cover there flyhalf made a huge difference. And yes I believe defence won all those workd cups. Especially the Australian and English ones.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Defence definitely won the 2003 WC for the poms. But it wasn't Wilkinson's defence, it was his drop kick! I get what you're saying though. To a lesser extent the Wallabies in '91, it was a completely different game back then. The Wallabies attack won it in '99, Larkham was sheilded by the big backrowers the whole tournament. In an ideal world you'd have a 10 that can defend his own, more often than not he is going to override any defensive frailties with attacking prowess though. Our current options are borderline at best by international standards, but they're by no means hopeless.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You are placing too much emphasis on his defence as far as 'well rounded' goes. He is a good defender, no argument from me about that. And I love him as a player in general, like To'omua though he is more of a 12. Certainly a solid back up option at 10, but he's not the one. Good run metres, shit kick metres and drops a lot of pill.

Nobody who offers Foley as the Wallabies No 10 should complain about anybody else's kicking game. Either from hand or off the tee.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Nobody who offers Foley as the Wallabies No 10 should complain about anybody else's kicking game. Either from hand or off the tee.

I didn't actually mention Foley that I can see. Our 10s are all a level below basically, I think the selection will come down to who fits into the game plan the best, and whoever is selected there will be many critics. Foley offers composure, Quade X-factor, and Lilo defence.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I love a good showing from Lilo, but he's not been putting in these performances consistently this season. He's pulled it out for the Chiefs and the Blues, but not much else.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
The fact that they didn't need to cover there flyhalf made a huge difference. And yes I believe defence won all those workd cups. Especially the Australian and English ones.

I dunno Sully, the All Blacks moved/shifted Carter to the outside channels many times. Earlier on in his Career he was a turnstile at 12. He no doubt improved during his career, but I wouldn't say they didn't need to cover him, more they actively chose were he was more effective.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
"Will Harrison did pretty well in the under 20's against the Darkness", said he clutching at straws.

Did exceptionally well Wamb, but in rugby terms he is too small to make it to the top. Much like so many "next big things" in the 10 jersey over recent years. Unfortunately, I think the same applies to Noah Lolesio who also had a starring role on Saturday.

Rugby Supporter 14

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes, Will played well and so did Noah, both vison and communication was great. Compared what we have in our senior team right now. They both played for the team and the results show.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With a lot of players going offshore, a lot remaining unsigned and a definite change of Wallaby coach it will be interesting to see what re-signings happen as the year progresses.

I imagine Scott Johnson will have a substantial say in who are the preferred retention targets moving forward and I would expect the way the Wallabies shape up early in the test season will have a big say in that. You would imagine most people without a contract for next year will want to get it sorted out sooner rather than later.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Jordan Uelese is playing for Gordon this Saturday in the Shute Shield. Hopefully he can get back to Super soon and contest for the hooker spot. With FF (Folau Fainga'a) standing up in the last few weeks the hooker problems won’t be so bad if Uelese can get back to his 2017 level.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
DHP's performance at fullback last night was quite welcome. With Beale proving much more influential from 15 and Banks look pretty decent, we have some good options from 15.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
From Rugby Australias website, they listed these capped wallabies players as staying, done up a match day 23 based on the names listed:

1. Slipper (2020)
3. Ala'alatoa (2020)
4. Rodda (2020)
5. Salakai-Loto (2020)
6. Jones (2020)
7. Hooper (2023)
11. Maddocks (2020)
12. Hodge (2020)
14. Tom Banks (2022)
15. Haylett-Petty (2021)

17. Tupou(2020)
18. Roberston(2020)
20. Dempsey (2020)

With the following as confirmed gone:
Rona - London Irish
Phipps - London Irish
Keep - London Irish
Coleman - London Irish
Higgers - Bordeaux
Naivalu - Stade Francais
Arnold - Toulouse
Carter - Ulster

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
With the following as confirmed gone:
Rona - London Irish
Phipps - London Irish
Keep - London Irish
Coleman - London Irish
Higgers - Bordeaux
Naivalu - Stade Francais
Arnold - Toulouse
Carter - Ulster
The two big losses in my opinion.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fuck London Irish.
Why are we not seeing negative effects on England’s national team from having their local competition invaded by foreigners? It’s happened to France.

Is it because England’s so bit they still have more professional spots available for local players thank aus?

Status
Not open for further replies.