• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
To'omua will be depth, he's a good player at either 10 or 12, but we have good options at 12 (Kerevi, Meakes, Hunt, Beale) and a first choice 10. His best chance at playing is if Cheika doesn't pick Cooper and To'omua acts as the utility inside backs reserve.

Yeah, whichever 10 is selected, I don't see either being a bench option so they become a dirt tracker for two minor games and a tackling bag holder waiting to be an injury replacement

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Great 12. Will go down in history as one of the best 12s to ever play in Aus. There is a funny story about when Toulon announced the signing of Giteau to the team, and Wilkinson was worried that he was going to take his spot in the team.

His value in the 2015 World Cup was almost immeasurable. Losing him less than half an hour into the final was devastating.

He's not a good Super or Test level 10.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
My biggest fear for the Wallabies this year is a Nathan Grey musical chairs defense pattern.
Whilst I cannot see how he can go away from what appears to be his own patented system I truly hope he has put it on the scrap heap.
Defense wins world cups.
I think we need to pick a team based around hiding only 1 weak defender at any point in the game. From what i have seen that weak defender will end up being our 1st and 2nd choice number 10.
This puts KB (Kurtley Beale) on the outer at either 12 or 15.
My current backline would be;
Genia
QC (Quade Cooper)
Maddocks
Kerevi
TK
Koro
Hodge
White
Foley
DHP

dru

Tim Horan (67)
While I agree with your QC (Quade Cooper) selection it will be Foley. Earlier assessments of a second 10 making the squad but not the bench is I think correct. Maybe be Foley to 10, then you need an inside utility to the bench. If DHP makes 15, Hodge to the bench, if aborts is 15, then Hunt to the bench.

Though I won’t be surprised to see Beale there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon Beale is a really strong chance at 15. He's clearly one of Cheika's favourites, he's had two strong games since moving to 15, he fills that second playmaker option given the overwhelming likelihood of Kerevi playing 12 and DHP has been out injured for a substantial chunk of the season.

My backline:

Genia
Foley
Naivalu (although Cheika might prefer Koroibete).
Kerevi
Kuridrani
DHP
Beale

Hodge will be on the bench.

I don't think Hunt will make the RWC squad at this point.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Totally agree with Reg (for better or for worse), but I also don't see a world where we don't have a guy like Beale, Hunt, or To'omua on the field as well. Foley isn't going to be wanting for playmaking support if he needs it.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Haven't watched the Tahs for a bit. Has he been tested by high balls and/or decent tactical kicking?

That was always his issue at international level, especially against the likes of England. Hoping it something he's done a lot of work on.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think Beale will play fullback and it makes sense. He's a gun in that position when the mood takes him and he'd be running off the 10's shoulder all day or injecting himself at first receiver. It's a good option if Cheika plays the K-squared formation in the midfield.

I'm totally with Chas on the defensive setup though. There has to be a simple setup in the front line, with the centres and preferably the 10 as well making their own tackles in their own channels. The revolving door has no place in international rugby for mine. If you're that weak in defence you'd better make twice as many line breaks to justify your spot.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I like the thought of a beefed up centres pairing, however one thing that rarely gets discussed is that with such size, you need some lateral movers around them to close space. Otherwise you have some very flat footed targets out wide. We don’t need teams fixing the feet of our bigger bodies and blowing through the 13-wing channel.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think Beale will play fullback and it makes sense. He's a gun in that position when the mood takes him and he'd be running off the 10's shoulder all day or injecting himself at first receiver. It's a good option if Cheika plays the K-squared formation in the midfield.

I'm totally with Chas on the defensive setup though. There has to be a simple setup in the front line, with the centres and preferably the 10 as well making their own tackles in their own channels. The revolving door has no place in international rugby for mine. If you're that weak in defence you'd better make twice as many line breaks to justify your spot.

It certainly looks like Foley has been doing some work here. He was never an atrocious defender but he's next level now, at least he seems to be from what we have seen this year. I don't see any reason for him not to be trusted defending his own channel. There might be strategic reasons to move him out of the defensive line at times e.g. to counter attack off a prospective kick but overall he should stay put.

Status
Not open for further replies.