• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Christian Lealiifano, Joe Powell, Scott Sio, James Slipper, Folau Fainga'a, Allan Ala'alatoa, Rory Arnold, Pocock, Valetini, Tom Banks, Tevita Kuridrani and Toni Pulu

Are there from the Brumbies, bit surprised that Samu, McCaffrey and Speight didn't get the call, recently Speight and Samu have been in great form, and before that McCaffrey has been awesome.

Don't know who made it from the other teams, I only saw the Brumbies bunch.
No Samu is very confusing, considering his form and fitness as compared to Valetini for example.

Everyone called McCaffrey not making the cut and that's a shame in my opinion.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Samu playing well but with all the lock and back row talent hard to see him getting a gig
on the bench.

For me Arnold and Rodda are our starting locks, luke Jones as starting 6 ahead of Dempsey (but still close to call), Hooper starting seven, and nasarini starting 8. Then you have Simmons as bench lock/ 6 cover, Pocock as 7/8 cover and if were to go 6/2 bench then lukhan as additional lock / 6 cover.
I like this but would have Lukhan ahead of Simmons for Lock/6 cover. Simmons can't cover 6.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Will come back to the old chestnut of having some one on the bench who can call lineouts.

If Jones plays maybe you can get away without it
Can't Rory call lineouts? or does Carter carry that burden for the Brumbies?

If your starting two locks can call you probably don't need someone on the bench. You'd say Rodda is an 80 minute player, too.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Can't Rory call lineouts? or does Carter carry that burden for the Brumbies?

If your starting two locks can call you probably don't need someone on the bench. You'd say Rodda is an 80 minute player, too.
Arnold doesn't seem to be trusted with it and seems to be one of the reasons he hasn't always been selected over the last couple of years.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It's annoying how many potential Wallaby candidates require a compromise. Where are all the rounded players?
For the Arnold brothers I think it's because they started playing so late that for every team they ever played for, someone else would have been calling the lineout, so it's a skill they just never developed.

Contrast that with Simmons. Probably been calling lineouts for every game he ever played since age 12.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
No Samu is very confusing, considering his form and fitness as compared to Valetini for example.

Everyone called McCaffrey not making the cut and that's a shame in my opinion.

Is it possible that Liam Wright has come into contention? I really do not see a place for Samu in a RWC squad where Hooper and Poey are included. Especially so with so many 6-8 options putting up their hands.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Is it possible that Liam Wright has come into contention? I really do not see a place for Samu in a RWC squad where Hooper and Poey are included. Especially so with so many 6-8 options putting up their hands.

I agree, if one of those 2 or Dempsey get ruled out Samu will be the first called up. Wright is next cycle I'd say.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With the way Samu is playing, I would be surprised if he's not in the actual squad when named.........

His skill set appears to reflect his time at the Crusaders..............

Although Valetini was invited to the training squad, I have doubts about him playing test rugby this year.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
You could be right Slim, there are a lot of players invited who clearly aren't in RWC squad contention so maybe the purpose of this camp is more developmental. I think with Poey & Hooper both fit though only one of Dempsey or Samu will go to Japan, unless Dempsey is intended as the starting #6.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Samu is in better form than Dempsey at the moment in my opinion.

Yes but still behind both Hooper & Poey and you can't have all 3 in the 23 because the lineout will be too compromised if they all end up on the field together.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
4 locks - 5 backrows

They will always pick simmons so id go

arnold coleman simmons rodda
jones tui naisarani poey hoops

If anyone misses out, it's simmons, at would be replaced by Dempsey at a stretch it Mccaffrey, Samu and Valetini are not options/out of form. Nothing Dempsey has done in his limited games has suggested he is a walk-in for a top 2 no.6 or no.8 position

Status
Not open for further replies.