• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In fairness, I haven’t seen much suggestion on the forum for MT at 10, it’s mainly been those on the front page banging their pots and pans for him.

On a wider note, the only good thing to come out of the Rebels loss was Naisarani 100% locking down the #8 gold jersey.
He, Genia and MK are the only ones who should be in the team.

To'omua was being lambasted for his form in Europe before returning home, he should have to show form to get a squad spot.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
It would be a disgrace if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) went to the world cup ahead of just about any other out centre in Australian Super Rugby.
Yeah, I wasn’t advocating his selection and I don’t think he will be, only that I could understand him being selected as a squaddie ahead of a cleanskin.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I don't get this whole 'put him in the squad because he has experience' dogma that Mitchell et al. were spewing in commentary tonight. We've got enough guys with WC and big game experience who will make the squad on merit, we don't need a passenger. If his insights are really that valuable then take him along as a non-playing consultant.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It would be a joke if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is in the Wallaby squad this year. He WAS a good player, but these days he doesn't have anywhere near the gas required to play in the outside backs at test level.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Experience doesn't mean shit unless it's experience with winning.

Winning is a habit, and an attitude. You can be the star in a shit team, but still might not believe you can win - that rubs off on the rest.

QLD v NSW in Origin is the perfect example. QLD don't have better players - they just believe that if they don't win then is isn't the status quo. It's an expectation, not a goal.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
After the 2019 season, this is Australia’s best forward pack as far as I’m concerned..

1. Sio
2. Fainga’a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Arnold
5. Rodda
6. Jones
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani

16. Uelese
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Salakaia-Loto
20. Pocock/McCaffery

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
After the 2019 season, this is Australia’s best forward pack as far as I’m concerned..

1. Sio
2. Fainga’a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Arnold
5. Rodda
6. Jones
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani

16. Uelese
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Salakaia-Loto
20. Pocock/McCaffery

I would bracket Samu in there if Pocock is not available..........

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Ok so after the weekend's games I'm leaning this way:

1. Sio
2. Fainga
3. AAA
4. Arnold
5. Rodda
6. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Kuridrani
14. Petaia (if fit)
15. Beale

16. Latu
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Simmons
20. Pocock
21. Phipps
22. Lealifano
23. DHP

24. Uelese
25. Kepu
26. Coleman
27. Samu
28. Hanigan
29. White
30. Cooper
31. Hodge

On form I'd have Banks over Hodge but I think he's next cycle's proposition. Hodge is the perfect dirt tracker for a RWC campaign. However, if Petaia doesn't recover in time then DHP moves up to 14. and either Banks or Maddocks goes to 23.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

1. Sio
2. Fainga’a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Arnold
5. Rodda
6. Jones
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani

16. Uelese
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Salakaia-Loto
20. Pocock/McCaffery

I would swap Jones and Salakaia-Loto, but otherwise agree in full.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
QLD v NSW in Origin is the perfect example. QLD don't have better players - they just believe that if they don't win then is isn't the status quo. It's an expectation, not a goal.
That may have been the case early in the piece, but over the last 15 years Qld has clearly had the better players.

QLD’s dominance started with the emergence of Smith, Slater & Thurston and captured the end of Lockyer’s
time who was subsequently replaced by Cronk. In that time they have also had the likes of Hunt, Inglis, Boyd, Tate, Hodges, Thaiday, Johnson, Matt Scott & Gagai - all of whom are were near enough to best in there position at various stages.

Certainly part of the strength of those players was there faith in process and there composure when the game was on the line -
but the Qld Origin teams have been clearly better on paper for the majority of the last 15 years.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ok so after the weekend's games I'm leaning this way:

1. Sio
2. Fainga
3. AAA
4. Arnold
5. Rodda
6. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Kuridrani
14. Petaia (if fit)
15. Beale

16. Latu
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Simmons
20. Pocock
21. Phipps
22. Lealifano
23. DHP

24. Uelese
25. Kepu
26. Coleman
27. Samu
28. Hanigan
29. White
30. Cooper
31. Hodge

On form I'd have Banks over Hodge but I think he's next cycle's proposition. Hodge is the perfect dirt tracker for a RWC campaign. However, if Petaia doesn't recover in time then DHP moves up to 14. and either Banks or Maddocks goes to 23.
After the weekends game where Pocock has still been injured for months?

Samu in for Poey, Phipps out for any of Powell, Gordon, White or McDermott. Petaia won't be starting either, so i'd have probably have to put DHP in as the second fullback, regrettably.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Some positive signs. Regardless of who makes the final cut in the wash up we have depth in positions that we haven’t had in years, particularly in the forwards. If White does indeed return it shores up our half stocks a bit. 10 remains a weak spot and 14 is probably still up for grabs but overall we are in reasonable shape. Kerevi & Kurindrani come into test season both in career best form.

My biggest concern is that Grey will persist with his defensive pattern which, IMO, has been well and truly tried and tested and come up short. I don’t care how good Kuridrani’s or Koribete’s form is - if they have to try and work in that defence pattern they will come up short through no fault of their own.

Not for the first time I am wondering why a player like Grey, who was so effective as a direct and abrasive defender, is complicating the hell out of things.

I don’t have a lot of faith in Raiwalui either but, hopefully, there are enough good forwards involved and they have enough form going in to make things work.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
After the weekends game where Pocock has still been injured for months?

Samu in for Poey, Phipps out for any of Powell, Gordon, White or McDermott. Petaia won't be starting either, so i'd have probably have to put DHP in as the second fullback, regrettably.
There is a caveat over pococks fitness obviously but if he’s fit he’s in the 23. Otherwise I agree. As much as people don’t like Phipps he is a great benchie and injects a lot of energy when he comes on. He’s ahead of the 4 you mention for this years task

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Some positive signs. Regardless of who makes the final cut in the wash up we have depth in positions that we haven’t had in years, particularly in the forwards. If White does indeed return it shores up our half stocks a bit. 10 remains a weak spot and 14 is probably still up for grabs but overall we are in reasonable shape. Kerevi & Kurindrani come into test season both in career best form.

My biggest concern is that Grey will persist with his defensive pattern which, IMO, has been well and truly tried and tested and come up short. I don’t care how good Kuridrani’s or Koribete’s form is - if they have to try and work in that defence pattern they will come up short through no fault of their own.

Not for the first time I am wondering why a player like Grey, who was so effective as a direct and abrasive defender, is complicating the hell out of things.

I don’t have a lot of faith in Raiwalui either but, hopefully, there are enough good forwards involved and they have enough form going in to make things work.
My concern is that Grey still has a job. Talk about failing up. Where does he fail up to next? PM?

Status
Not open for further replies.