• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. AAAA
4. Arnold
5. Rodda
6. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. Genia
10. Foley (sigh)
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. TK
14. DHP
15. Beale

16. Fitzpatrick
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Coleman
20. Pocock
21. White
22. Cooper
23. Hodge

24. JP Smith
25. Uelese
26. Kepu
27. Philip
28. Dempsey
29. Gordon
30. Lealiifano
31. Petaia

That's where I see it based on a combo of
- Form
- Skill set and experience mix
- Runs on the board at the right level
- Subjective impression of having the ability to cope with RWC pressure
(in that order of priority)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Valetini would have to be a strong contender for the squad and I wouldn't be at all unhappy if he made the 23.
He will be there or there abouts but i dont think he makes the 23 right now. Even at the Brumbies Samu and McCaffrey would be ahead of him for 6/8.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon Valetini will be included in the RC squad and Cheika will see if he can get him up to speed.

Very impressive youngster who hasn’t been able to push his case due to injury, Wallaby tourist & Cheika has shown previously he is prepared to pick a youngster if he thinks he is good enough.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
In fairness, I haven’t seen much suggestion on the forum for MT at 10, it’s mainly been those on the front page banging their pots and pans for him.

On a wider note, the only good thing to come out of the Rebels loss was Naisarani 100% locking down the #8 gold jersey.
There were plenty on here calling for it too don’t worry. When it happened it was Foleys fault for being at 12 that it didn’t go so well.

EDIT : although yes, I haven’t seen many in here suggesting it this year

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not for the first time I am wondering why a player like Grey, who was so effective as a direct and abrasive defender, is complicating the hell out of things.
You don't get the big bucks for implementing a direct and abrasive defensive line.
It looks as though you have been doing nothing. No fancy positioning, swapping of players, and chess-like approaches to the skill.
Results are almost irrelevant to the importance of the process.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
You don't get the big bucks for implementing a direct and abrasive defensive line.
It looks as though you have been doing nothing. No fancy positioning, swapping of players, and chess-like approaches to the skill.
Results are almost irrelevant to the importance of the process.

There was a good article on the front page the other day about how we should use Kerevi to crash it up off the set-piece rather than trying to orchestrate complicated plays. As you say though, you don't get paid the big bucks to tell the 12 to crash it up.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think we fall into the trap of assuming a player can translate the skills they had to coaching, by default. We have seen enough evidence in recent years to dispel that myth. As in my game, I have operated with some very good surgeons who were pretty average teachers. The teaching / coaching in and of itself, is a skill.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There was a good article on the front page the other day about how we should use Kerevi to crash it up off the set-piece rather than trying to orchestrate complicated plays. As you say though, you don't get paid the big bucks to tell the 12 to crash it up.
Simple isn't necessarily bad.

You don't really see the Kiwi teams pull off complicated set piece plays that much. They just rely on exceptional basic skills.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Simple isn't necessarily bad.

You don't really see the Kiwi teams pull off complicated set piece plays that much. They just rely on exceptional basic skills.

Agreed. Mostly you just want players in motion (towards the try line) giving options to the ball carrier.

The Waratahs against the Brumbies were a lesson in what not to do. The Waratahs tried and failed to be too deceptive and invariably a player caught the ball flat footed and was tackled immediately.

That close to the line with the space that a scrum gives your backline, you are getting one on one opportunities and it only takes a small misread from a defender for a player running a good line to go in untouched.

It's all about giving yourself those opportunities but also knowing that if you don't score from first phase but you've got a ball runner hitting the line at pace, you should be getting front foot ball and a good opportunity to score on the ensuing phases.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Waratahs against the Brumbies were a lesson in what not to do. The Waratahs tried and failed to be too deceptive and invariably a player caught the ball flat footed and was tackled immediately.

The Waratahs showed how well simple can unlock a good defence as well: the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) try came from drawing defenders, running an angle, and making a short kick behind when the fullback was out of position. Simple, simple stuff.

Ryan Crotty isn't amazing because he's the best at the world in one thing. He's amazing because he's so good at every little basic Rugby thing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Waratahs showed how well simple can unlock a good defence as well: the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) try came from drawing defenders, running an angle, and making a short kick behind when the fullback was out of position. Simple, simple stuff.

Ryan Crotty isn't amazing because he's the best at the world in one thing. He's amazing because he's so good at every little basic Rugby thing.

Exactly. They scored that time because players had a role that they were doing and then a decision was made in reaction to what the defence did.

It took them too many times to get to that point. Prior to that they were trying to do too much before they reached the defence which was rushing up hard and couldn't get it done in time. They'd premeditated their move completely and then didn't make an adjustment based on what the defence was doing.

Most of these plays will have multiple options of where the ball ends up and you really need to be deciding on the option you're taking in response to what the defence does rather than choosing it beforehand and hoping the defence doesn't read it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
There used to be an Australian franchise that was very good at this individual skill thing and every player knowing their role. They were called the Brumbies and they played some of the most successful and exciting footy of the era. It looks like they're starting to get back to that mode with McKellar, so it would be a very good idea IMHO to use the core of that squad in the Wallaby 23 this year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There used to be an Australian franchise that was very good at this individual skill thing and every player knowing their role. They were called the Brumbies and they played some of the most successful and exciting footy of the era. It looks like they're starting to get back to that mode with McKellar, so it would be a very good idea IMHO to use the core of that squad in the Wallaby 23 this year.
Yes and no.

You'd expect a majority of the front 5 to be Brumbies. I have a suspicion only Samu from the backrow will be in with a shot, though (assuming Pocock is injured).I'd love to see McCaffrey given a shot but i don't think he will. Valetini will be in the squad but not the starting team.

I don't see the Brumbies backline forming the core of the team, besides TK walking into the 13 jersey.

The issue is that they are a good team as opposed to great individuals. In many positions there are better players from worse franchises. Hooper is better than Cusack and Samu, Genia and Phipps are better than Powell, Kerevi and Hunt are better than Simone, etc.

I think transplanting what makes the Brumbies work at the moment would take more than just transplanting their players into the Wallabies.

S

Show-n-go

so using the theory that Brumbies should make up the lionshare of our best team do we go with this for our first RC game and see what happens?

1) Slipper
2) Fainga'a
3) Ala'alatoa
4) Arnold
5) Rodda
6) Jones
7) Hooper
8) Samu/McCaffrey
9) Genia
10) Lealiifano
11) Speight
12) Kerevi
13) Kuridrani
14) Banks
15) DHP/Beale/Hodge

16) Mafi/Ulese/Rangi
17) Sio
18) Tupou
19) Coleman/Phillip
20) Samu/McCaffrey
21) Powell
22) Cooper/Foley
23) DHP/Beale/Hodge

Screw using Pocock till the WC

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yes and no.

You'd expect a majority of the front 5 to be Brumbies. I have a suspicion only Samu from the backrow will be in with a shot, though (assuming Pocock is injured).I'd love to see McCaffrey given a shot but i don't think he will. Valetini will be in the squad but not the starting team.

I don't see the Brumbies backline forming the core of the team, besides TK walking into the 13 jersey.

The issue is that they are a good team as opposed to great individuals. In many positions there are better players from worse franchises. Hooper is better than Cusack and Samu, Genia and Phipps are better than Powell, Kerevi and Hunt are better than Simone, etc.

I think transplanting what makes the Brumbies work at the moment would take more than just transplanting their players into the Wallabies.

Fair enough. I think at least in the pack (which is where rugby games are won) you'd have a bunch of Brumbies present. I take your point in the backs and surely TK is a walk up start to partner Kerevi in the centres. They have both played so well this season that you'd base the backline around them. That will make the 10 and 15 jerseys interesting in terms of the skill sets, though I have a feeling that Cheika will pick Foley and Beale.

EDIT: Banks a possible spot on the wing or FB too.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fair enough. I think at least in the pack (which is where rugby games are won) you'd have a bunch of Brumbies present. I take your point in the backs and surely TK is a walk up start to partner Kerevi in the centres. They have both played so well this season that you'd base the backline around them. That will make the 10 and 15 jerseys interesting in terms of the skill sets, though I have a feeling that Cheika will pick Foley and Beale.
Who, i think, compliment TK and Kerevi well. In attack, at least.

Beale defending at 15 is a horrorshow at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.