• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don’t really get why you give someone a run in the RC but not the WC. Surely you play your best players all the time?
That’s not what I’m suggesting. Im suggesting that he’ll be found out and not quite up to test level yet. Happy to be wrong and he deserves first crack definitely.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
There's been a lot of chat about White killing it this year. I assume if that's true, he's the 3rd. But I haven't been following him.
Nah fuck that. Put him in the same basket as To'omua, the blokes who have been back here doing the hard yards deserve the RWC jerseys.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is Mike Ala'alatoa lost to the darkness forever?

NZR were really keen on him 2-3 years ago but for various reasons, including his reluctance to leave the Crusaders & the emergence of Lomax, he's slipped down the pecking order somewhat. They're not going to say no to him should he make himself available, but my info is that they're no longer actively chasing his signature.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He had a very good first half, but the answer is no, even Rob Simmons has the occasional match where he looks like a top line test lock. If however that was his form were week in week out, then thats another story.
Samu has been excellent week in, week out.

Ultimately I think his versatility will count against him and he’ll come off the bench, but he would comfortably be in the top 3-5 Australian backrowers IMO and, for me, he and Hooper in the backrow isn’t as unbalanced as Pocock & Hooper. There are a lot of factors to consider but if form is your criteria Samu is there or there abouts.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
NZR were really keen on him 2-3 years ago but for various reasons, including his reluctance to leave the Crusaders & the emergence of Lomax, he's slipped down the pecking order somewhat. They're not going to say no to him should he make himself available, but my info is that they're no longer actively chasing his signature.

Bring him home! He's a weapon. Also, shame you couldn't have not nabbed Aussie Tyrel. Bout time NZ develop their own players. /s

Seriously though, Australia have been producing some quality props recently, bit odd. Must be the diet.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He had a very good first half, but the answer is no, even Rob Simmons has the occasional match where he looks like a top line test lock. If however that was his form were week in week out, then thats another story.

But Samu has been consistently this good throughout the year.........

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bring him home! He's a weapon. Also, shame you couldn't have not nabbed Aussie Tyrel. Bout time NZ develop their own players. /s

Seriously though, Australia have been producing some quality props recently, bit odd. Must be the diet.

I'm surprised Samoa haven't capped him, after all he played U20's for them. He could do that & remain a Crusader, AFAIK he'd be the only PI-committed player on the roster

S

Show-n-go

I'm surprised Samoa haven't capped him, after all he played U20's for them. He could do that & remain a Crusader, AFAIK he'd be the only PI-committed player on the roster

Be very surprised if he doesn’t commit to Samoa this year, it’s make or break time for him on becoming an international

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
That’s not what I’m suggesting. Im suggesting that he’ll be found out and not quite up to test level yet. Happy to be wrong and he deserves first crack definitely.
Oh fair enough then, personally, I see no reason why Banks won’t be able to handle it but we’ll see.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Oh fair enough then, personally, I see no reason why Banks won’t be able to handle it but we’ll see.

I just remember hearing last year that the reason he was being overlooked for Maddocks was that he wasn't handling the intensity of the training camp drills, which were designed to replicate test match intensity. However, that was a full super season ago, plus Benton will no doubt introduce a different (better) S&C regime. So I'm more than happy to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially considering the poor form of most of the other contenders for 14, 15 & 23.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

As it was for anyone who took the time to watch the Brumbies week in and week out.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I'm still having a hard time nailing down virtually any positions outside the tight 5. It's going to be an interesting task in the lead ups. Currently I'd be thinking something like:

Sio
Fainga'a
AAA
Arnold
Rodda
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Pocock
Naisarani
Genia
Lilo
Koroibete
Kerevi
Kuridrani
Pulu
Banks

??? (all options seem bad)
Slipper
Tupou
Coleman??
Samu
Hooper
Powell
Foley
Beale

It's fairly Brumbies centric, reflecting Super Rugby form, but how that will translate to the test arena is unclear. The back row is particularly tough, with Jones, McCaffrey and even Valetini in the mix as well, and the Hooper/Pocock arrangement affecting everything else. I also don't know the eligibility/fitness situation with McMahon - who'd be a handy bench inclusion if available and make the Pooper a more likely starting play. The reserve hooker and lock spots are a lottery. Genia is just holding onto the starting halfback spot by the skin of his teeth - that could go either way. And the entire backline is basically up for grabs - even Kuridrani, who would seem like the most certain fixture, I could imagine being unseated by a double playmaker option with Kerevi at 13, as Lilo/Kerevi/TK seems to lack creativity. Izzy's also left a hole at the back, ideally he'd be 15 with Banks 14 but we're stuck improvising now so who knows how that will go.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There seems to be common agreement on a number of positions so far, particularly in the forwards.........

For the sake of conversation here's a few end of season squad selections going around:

G&GR Wallaby Watch Wrap Up:

1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. AAA
4. Arnold
5. Rodda
6. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Korobeite
12. Samu
13. Kuridrani
14. Banks
15. DHP

16. Mafi / TPN / Uelese
17. Slipper
18. Tupou / Kepu
19. Coleman / Phillip / Simmons
20. Pocock / Samu / McCaffrey
21. Powell / McDermott / Phipps / Gordon
22. Lilo / To'omua / Foley
23. Beale / Hodge / Naivalu

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/wallaby-watch/

Rugby.com.au Super Rugby Team of the Year

1. Slipper - 6 selections
2. Fainga'a - 9 selections
3. AAA - 8 selections
4. Arnold - 6 selections
5. Simmons - 6 selectinos
6. Jones - 5 selections
7. Hooper - 7 selections
8. Samu - 6 selections
9. Genia - 5 selections
10. Lilo - 8 selections
11. Pulu - 5 selections
12. Kerevi - 9 selections
13. Kuridrani - 7 selections
14. Korobeite - 5 selections
15. Banks - 5 selections

16. Mafi - 4 selections
17. Sio - 4 selections
18. Kepu - 4 selections
19. Carter - 6 selections
20. Naisarani - 5 selections
21. Powell - 5 selections
22. Meakes - 5 selections
23. Maddocks - 5 selections

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/06/18/super-rugby-2019-team-of-the-year

AAA, Arnold and Kerevi feature in Fox Sports' Super Rugby Team of the year, with Fainga'a, Slipper and Hooper on the bench:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...n/news-story/8f71504d686f36ccbfa0641d2957e200

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Definitely Meakes........ although if we could combine the better qualities of both players that would be something.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Meakes as a reserve fly half?? Or is it just based on best fit number of votes and he was ahead of Foley, Quade and presumable Beale?

Status
Not open for further replies.