• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I’m not sure I’d read too much into the Brumbies loss in terms of the effect on the Wallabies. Really, there’re only five Brumbies players I’d say are guaranteed starters. Four in the pack (front row + Arnold) and really only Kurindrani in the backs (although I’d like to see Banks in there).

This game was also a bit of an aberration in that the Jaguares executed everything perfectly and nothing really went right for the Brumbies. If their lineouts weren’t such shambles it might have been a bit different.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Lilo wont be 10 now and you know it BR. He blew it and Powell showed nothing at all to suggest he can make it in a high pressure match.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Powell only played good for the last 5 to 6 games, before that he was playing poorly, or should I say he wasn't playing to the standard which would be expected of someone of his experience.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't think we can discard them after one match....

They've both played exceptionally well over the last few months against some tough opposition.

Both should at least be in the squad.
Im not saying they discard them entirely. But i would be pretty surprised if Lilo runs out at 10 in the first test.

I also don't see what Powell would bring from the bench.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think Powell is still a chance for the 3rd halfback spot, but he’s up against White and Gordon for it, not Phipps. Genia and Phipps will be 1 and 2.

Lilo should still make the squad ahead of Cooper and To'omua but Foley will remain as the starter.

I don’t think Banks is a front runner for a spot, but he should be given a chance to displace one of them. The front runners for the 14, 15 and 23 spots are Beale, DHP, Maddocks and Hodge. Add Banks into that equation and you would think 4 of those 5 will go to Japan. It’s probably only Maddocks that he can realistically displace, and on form he should. I’m still not convinced he’s up to it though.

Agree with the rest of BR’s assessment of the Brumbies contenders.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don’t think Banks is a front runner for a spot, but he should be given a chance to displace one of them. The front runners for the 14, 15 and 23 spots are Beale, DHP, Maddocks and Hodge. Add Banks into that equation and you would think 4 of those 5 will go to Japan. It’s probably only Maddocks that he can realistically displace, and on form he should. I’m still not convinced he’s up to it though.

Banks at least deserves a start at some point during the RC.........

But then Cheika was reluctant to give him a decent opportunity last year so I won't hold my breath.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Banks at least deserves a start at some point during the RC...

But then Cheika was reluctant to give him a decent opportunity last year so I won't hold my breath.
I agree with the first comment, I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get one.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I read during the week that the squad will be announced on Thursday, and that was regardless of whether the Brumbies were in the final or not. I would expect a wider training squad to be announced - say 35 or so - and that be refined to about 28 for the first 2 games.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Valentini will be there in the next cycle. He doesn’t look ready for test football just yet. Fainga had a pretty bad night throwing.
It was always a big ask to win or even be competitive against a fired up Jags in their first semi at home.
Brumbies had a good year. Well done.
Now Cheika and Johnson have to fit the pieces together.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Surely they start the Squad like this:
1. Sio
2. Fainga
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Arnold
7. Hooper (assuming Pocock unfit)
12. Kerevi

Think most others have merit around experience verse form verse combinations/balance but I'd like to see Kuirindrani at 13 and Banks at 15.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Surely they start the Squad like this:
1. Sio
2. Fainga
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Arnold
5. Rodda
6. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
7. Hooper (assuming Pocock unfit)
8. Naisarani
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Kuridrani
14. Banks - maybe
15. DHP

Think most others have merit around experience verse form verse combinations/balance but I'd like to see Kuirindrani at 13 and Banks at 15.
What I think it will be, not necessarily all the most popular options, I'm sure.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you were playing Banks and DHP together, I would leave Banks at fullback where he seems most comfortable and play DHP on the wing.........

I've generally been a fan of DHP, but his meltdown in the last test match against the Poms, and his season in general is concerning.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just on Banks, what should come into his favour is that if the Wallabies persist with Foley, and have a centre partnership of Kerevi/Kuridrani, whoever plays at fullback needs to have a decent boot or we'll never exit our 22m.........

Status
Not open for further replies.