• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'd still start Genia in the first couple of tests. We need him as a general/play-maker. Powell has done well for the Brumbies but there's no way he can steer the ship in a test match at this stage.

Edit: Agree, Genia hasn't had the best attitude this season, for whatever reason.
He hasn't had the best attitude for the Wallabies either, really. But, he's easily our best 9.

That said, what i wouldn't give for a box-kicker like Murray. I don't really think we should base our starting 9 off their running game. If you were to, surely Gordon or McDermott would be the choice.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Certainly looked better in general play, in the limited games I watched fully, a little better from 22m. Beale, on the other hand, was not great from the 22m. I don't think any of the likely 10 candidates have looked great from the 22m. I think the best exiting from the 22m is likely to be a decent box-kicker, in many situations. Witness Cubelli today.

A master class from Cubelli.

Nobody in the Aussie teams can match Banks' penalty kicking for touch. He is consistently 20m+ better than Foley and much more accurate than Hodge.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree Genia is our half the most capable of excelling at test level. He’s just not playing to standard. If Cheika can get him to that before the first game then that’s the best out come.

Player selection aside, the biggest issue with the attack last year was the absurd wide/wide pattern they tried to play which had little to no success. That and our poor kicking. The biggest issue with the defence was the shuffle the deck chairs approach.

Our biggest problem is not whether or not we overhaul the players but whether or not we overhaul our strategy and whether our players can adapt in time if they do.

That is exactly the situation as I see it too. Based on the results during this Super season, the Brumbies as a team have had the best set piece defense where everyone defends in their selected spots. If Cheika et al are going to introduce such a system to the Wallabies, the Brumbies players would be best placed to run with it quickly.

I am very sceptical though that there will be any change in the systems Cheika and Grey have used over the past four years.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well that higher payment is based on winning quarter, semi and final of RWC. So if you do that on probability based payments compared to All Blacks I think less an issue here.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I thought I heard somewhere Cheika overhauled the attacking structure over summer. Not sure what this means in terms of pod structure etc. though.

Apparently something to do with the U20s. I hope the Wallabies players were not beaten too badly in the scratch games if they played.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well that higher payment is based on winning quarter, semi and final of RWC. So if you do that on probability based payments compared to All Blacks I think less an issue here.

AB bonus payment schedule:

Win the Final (match day 23 only) $100K
Lose the Final (ditto) $35K
Don't make the Final $0

Of course they also get a retainer plus match fees.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Apparently something to do with the U20s. I hope the Wallabies players were not beaten too badly in the scratch games if they played.

He and Johnson (maybe, not sure) tried the new attacking and defensive structures with the U20s. I think it was more to test the communication of the structures and how quickly players could pick them up.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Article in the Oz today. Petaia has started light jogging and Poey is making progress but neither is likely to be fit for the trip to south africa.

O'Connor likely to have an offer from the Reds mid-week which means he can join the national team at training

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cheika to announce a 32 or 33 man squad for SA Trip. Poey and Petaia will miss it - Coleman might as well

Has there been any chat about TPN? Surely he would be a perfect 3rd Hooker. I'd put him ahead of Latu, Rangi & Mafi.
Maybe for WC only

Fainga'a Uelese Latu
Sio Slipper Kepu Tupou Ala'alatoa
Simmons Rodda Arnold Tui
Jones Dempsey Naisarani Mccaffrey Hoops Samu
Genia Phipps White (feel bad for Powell but think Phipps will get inside running)
Foley To'omua
JOC (James O'Connor) Hodge Kerevi TK
Maddocks Banks Beale DHP Koroibete Naivalu

* Latu sneak in ahead of Mafi & Rangi - but I'd prefer TPN
* If Petaia was fit > Maddocks (we have DHP, Banks, Hodge, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale - don't need Maddocks)
* Maybe CLL or QC (Quade Cooper) > Naivalu (if we had Petaia )
* If Poey was fit > Dempsey (Mccaffrey experience invaluable in WC)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Latu has had quite a few chances with the Wallabies and Waratahs. Not sure why we would give him another in an even higher pressure environment.

Also, take JOC (James O'Connor) out, take To'omua as a 12 and Lilo in JOC (James O'Connor)'s place.

Edit: Latu seems like the kind of player that would really benefit from a move to Europe where there seems to be a higher degree of structure and professionalism involved.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The away game in South Africa is going to make the squad announcements different to last time. Only 31 set to be announced with them all going to South Africa.

They are going a week early so will presumably get flogged at altitude for a week before tapering into the week of the test.

It will be interesting to see who goes. I imagine some of the 31 will be there for the training camp element to work on their fitness etc. and will not really be at all likely to be picked for the test match.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Latu has had quite a few chances with the Wallabies and Waratahs. Not sure why we would give him another in an even higher pressure environment.

Also, take JOC (James O'Connor) out, take To'omua as a 12 and Lilo in JOC (James O'Connor)'s place.
If JOC (James O'Connor) comes in I reckon it will be for Hodge

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Thanks
Cheika to announce a 32 or 33 man squad for SA Trip. Poey and Petaia will miss it - Coleman might as well

Has there been any chat about TPN? Surely he would be a perfect 3rd Hooker. I'd put him ahead of Latu, Rangi & Mafi.
Maybe for WC only

Fainga'a Uelese Latu
Sio Slipper Kepu Tupou Slipper
Simmons Rodda Arnold Tui
Jones Dempsey Naisarani Mccaffrey Hoops Samu
Genia Phipps White (feel bad for Powell but think Phipps will get inside running)
Foley To'omua
JOC (James O'Connor) Hodge Kerevi TK
Maddocks Banks Beale DHP Koroibete Naivalu

* Latu sneak in ahead of Mafi & Rangi - but I'd prefer TPN
* If Petaia was fit > Maddocks (we have DHP, Banks, Hodge, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale - don't need Maddocks)
* Maybe CLL or QC (Quade Cooper) > Naivalu (if we had Petaia )
* If Poey was fit > Dempsey (Mccaffrey experience invaluable in WC)
No AAAAA?

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
This is why I reckon Latu is still a shot at making it. Aside from Fainga'a it is absolutely wide open.

Hard pass. I can see us being in a battle with a Northern Hemisphere team being up by 2 only for Latu to give another stupid penalty away.

Winning knock games is all about reducing your mistakes and Latu is known to have a fair few in him. Compare Latu to the other 'possibles' of say Mafi, Uelese and Rangi, while neither of those three will 'win' you the game individually, they sure as hell are less likely to lose you it.

Status
Not open for further replies.