• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think we all would have Pocock in our squad and the coaches would feel the same, if his training and they see him making it they will pick him, his one of our best and worth the risk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think we all would have Pocock in our squad and the coaches would feel the same, if his training and they see him making it they will pick him, his one of our best and worth the risk
I don't really understand what he could have done to his calf that would take this long to heal?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
He has a long history of calf injuries back to at least 2012 (as much as my googling finds). He even missed the Scotland quarter final in 2015 with the calf.

I'm guessing some cumulative effects happening

Breakaway22

Bob McCowan (2)
Queensland have just officially announced the signing of JOC (James O'Connor). To me this suggests the Cheika has every intention of playing him this week. Personally, Im more than fine with this as if he were to play Id say he would fill the role Hodge has played for the past few years as that bench utility player. I don't think he would make it in to the starting 15 straight away but you never know.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm a DHP fan, but if he's on the wing I'd take a JOC (James O'Connor) circa early 10s any day of the week over DHP. Especially with the KK midfield.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
I've noticed a few of the brumbies fringe players are up in sydney training at the moment (Samu, Speight, Pulu) , perhaps there will be some movement in the squad across TRC? Or another extended squad once we return from SA?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I've noticed a few of the brumbies fringe players are up in sydney training at the moment (Samu, Speight, Pulu) , perhaps there will be some movement in the squad across TRC? Or another extended squad once we return from SA?
I certainly hope Samu is not considered a fringe player.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm a DHP fan, but if he's on the wing I'd take a JOC (James O'Connor) circa early 10s any day of the week over DHP. Especially with the KK midfield.

Unfortunately it's 2019 and DHP probably has JOC (James O'Connor) beat for speed.........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Queensland have just officially announced the signing of JOC (James O'Connor). To me this suggests the Cheika has every intention of playing him this week. Personally, Im more than fine with this as if he were to play Id say he would fill the role Hodge has played for the past few years as that bench utility player. I don't think he would make it in to the starting 15 straight away but you never know.

From what I've seen he's exclusively played in the centres the last few years, and he no longer has the pace for an outside back.......... and let's not even entertain the option of him being a backup flyhalf.

So I reckon his utility factor is now limited......... probably not as useful as Hodge in that regard.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
From what I've seen he's exclusively played in the centres the last few years, and he no longer has the pace for an outside back.... and let's not even entertain the option of him being a backup flyhalf.

So I reckon his utility factor is now limited... probably not as useful as Hodge in that regard.
There's been some really strange reporting around that.

He's been named by Sale 32 times in the last couple of seasons. Of those he came off the bench 5 times

He's been named at 10, 12 and 15 more than 5 times each, and played most of all at 13

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's been some really strange reporting around that.

He's been named by Sale 32 times in the last couple of seasons. Of those he came off the bench 5 times

He's been named at 10, 12 and 15 more than 5 times each, and played most of all at 13

Just a correction on my part............

He did start off at Sale back in 2017 playing flyhalf, and then fullback, and even one match on the wing............

In the last season he exclusively played in the centres, and although he was named at 13 a number of times on at least one occasion I watched the game he ended up running out with 12 on his back, and often interchanged between the two positions during the match.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We have actual wingers in Pulu, Speight, Naivalu etc. Hes surely being looked at as back up to the two Ks

Yep, JOC (James O'Connor)'s experience recently playing both centre positions and offering something different to the two K's will actually be quite handy..........

We have enough fullback/wing options already.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Im excited to have JOC (James O'Connor) back, If he has his head screwed on then his another good player back in Oz, do I see him as good as he once was, no, but its another guy who wants to play in Oz for Oz.

I've heard he wont be considered for this weekend,

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Yes. The squad will go back up again in size once they return from South Africa.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Listening to the Eggchasers pod and JB, the biggest Sale fan, couldn't see JOC (James O'Connor) adding much at Wallaby level. I think he could cover 12 and that's about it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Listening to the Eggchasers pod and JB, the biggest Sale fan, couldn't see JOC (James O'Connor) adding much at Wallaby level. I think he could cover 12 and that's about it.
He was in no danger of making the Wallabies following his last Reds stint. I think it just further highlights our lack of depth.

I'd personally rather Hunt or even Meakes was our backup 12.

Edit: i feel similar about To'omua. The guy hasn't demonstrated he deserves to be in the Wallabies in years but just walks in ahead of guys grafting over here on form he showed years ago.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
At least To'omua has recent history with the Wallabies and is very good in defence. I reckon we will see Foley and Lilo as the 10 and backup inside back this week.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
From what I've seen he's exclusively played in the centres the last few years, and he no longer has the pace for an outside back.... and let's not even entertain the option of him being a backup flyhalf.

So I reckon his utility factor is now limited... probably not as useful as Hodge in that regard.

Except, he could be in better form than Hodge. Just guessing, as I have not seen him yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.