• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobby Sands

That was the point though. What anyone else thinks doesn't change the fact that Beale is the first choice fullback right now and that is the principal reason why Banks isn't in the squad.

You can argue all day whether they have got that wrong or not but as I said, it's the reality of the situation right now.

NZ have regularly picked a fullback type player on the wing going back to 2015 and before (Milner-Skudder, Dagg, Ben Smith etc.). They particularly did this when Savea was on one wing and also Naholo. They have paired Ioane and Naholo together more times in the last couple of years but seemingly still like having one winger who has played a fair bit of fullback (or at least has a reasonable kicking game).

Our biggest problem and why I think we steer towards these sort of selections is that we don't have many/any complete wingers and we have a number of wingers who lack a decent kicking game and/or the positional awareness of playing fullback. A jack of all trades player like Hodge or an actual fullback (DHP) have played a lot of wing because we don't want to pick two wingers with zero or little kicking game. This was exacerbated when we had Folau at fullback so we desperately wanted one winger who had a strong kicking game.

I think you are confusing “fullback” type with complete back three players. If are rapid, and can counter while also being able
to kick and handle then even better!

Don’t conflate players will all of the skills with those who are pedestrian.

B

Bobby Sands

Off the top of my head....

Almost very single successful test team in my lifetime.

Very conclusive!!

Look at England, Ireland, NZ, South Africa..

I’ve already provided who their wingers are, but you should do some research before posting, so good luck.

B

Bobby Sands

England - Jonny May
NZ -Ben Smith, George Bridge
Ireland - Jacob Stockdale

all play 15 at lower levels and have that skill set to name a few

Are you the full quid? Or just have not played in the backs?

IF you are rapid AND can also kick and handle, then even better!

My argument is we need to stop playing wingers, like Hodge, that lack the burst away speed but “make up for it” by being able to kick and pass. No one else is doing this.

If we could find a player that could finish, kick and tackle like the other teams you have mentioned - well then we might have found a world class winger.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Very conclusive!!

Look at England, Ireland, NZ, South Africa..

I’ve already provided who their wingers are, but you should do some research before posting, so good luck.

Yes, all of those teams provide examples that reinforce my statement.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IF you are rapid AND can also kick and handle, then even better!

Yes, that is true....... and ideally both wingers should have some pace, and the Wobs are lacking in the limited options they’ve got.

But it’s pretty much common practice since forever that test teams will play at least one winger that possess some fullback qualities in terms of kicking and fielding high balls.

Fielding two rugby league style “strike” wingers in Tuqiri and Sailor is an example of why that is.

B

Bobby Sands

This conversation is making me nauseous.

Wingers should be able to finish backline movements, handle the ball and kick.

If they can't they should be forced to upskill.

It really is not that hard of a task, and all the other countries are managing to do it.

We used to produce the best wings in the world; Roff (albeit not electric, but was a genius), Tune, Rathbone, Andrew Walker (dual), Campese (going further back).

No we potentially dont have a well rounded, elite winger in the country.

Although Koriobete at his best would make most sides.

I hold some hope for Daugunu, and I thought he was far to good to the Force yesterday, making four or so line-breaks.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Its all moot anyway. We've taken one fast guy, potentially 2 if Petaia can run without tearing something.

We'll have to make do.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not sure if already posted elsewhere but "Wallabies great David Pocock has announced that he will retire from test rugby after the 2019 Rugby World Cup".

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=12265593

I'd assumed he was heading o/s so this is quite a surprise to me.

Thank you David, Champion Player and Person.. Sorry you didn't get more time at the Brumbies/Wallabies but I'd be happy with 1 test for Australia let alone 77. Smash out the world cup and go off into the future :) Thanks for the memories.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The test to me confirmed that most of our first choice side that didn't play are still the first choice side. A number of our backups confirmed that they will do the job if required but aren't likely to push for a spot in the starting XV.

Foley didn't do anywhere near enough to put pressure on Leali'ifano. His goalkicking in particularly was poor.

Dempsey had a strong game but so to did LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in my view. I think our backrow will remain with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6, Naisarani at 8 and Hooper at 7. Pocock will most likely be in the 20 jersey.

Our starting backline will remain as it was against the All Blacks.

Genia, To'omua and DHP will probably be our backline reserves. It's hard to see Petaia getting a crack before the Uruguay game.

Reactions: gel

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The test to me confirmed that most of our first choice side that didn't play are still the first choice side. A number of our backups confirmed that they will do the job if required but aren't likely to push for a spot in the starting XV.

Foley didn't do anywhere near enough to put pressure on Leali'ifano. His goalkicking in particularly was poor.

Dempsey had a strong game but so to did LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in my view. I think our backrow will remain with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6, Naisarani at 8 and Hooper at 7. Pocock will most likely be in the 20 jersey.

Our starting backline will remain as it was against the All Blacks.

Genia, To'omua and DHP will probably be our backline reserves. It's hard to see Petaia getting a crack before the Uruguay game.

In general I agree with that, but it depends on whether your basing that on Lilo's most recent game, or the one before that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In general I agree with that, but it depends on whether your basing that on Lilo's most recent game, or the one before that.

Sure, Lilo had a mare in the second Bledisloe and I thought the contest was still likely on if Foley put in a really strong performance against Samoa. That would have still probably seen Leali'ifano start aganinst Fiji but he would have been on notice.

The way it played out though, Foley did nothing to keep up that pressure and Leali'ifano is the starter moving into the RWC. I don't see anything changing that unless the wheels completely fall off.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
We are going to lose a crucial World Cup game scoring 3 tries to 2 but missing kicks aren't we :(. All our options are pretty ordinary

I said in the match thread that Foley was kicking himself out of any chance of starting at 10.

Not sure who the commentator on Ten who kept going on about Foley handing off the goal kicking to To'omua.
Thought it was a ridiculous comment given Lilos (relatively poor) kicking record this year.

If Foley kicked 6/6 there may have been some pressure to get him in at 10, to not kick at all, (or to kick like Foley did) means there is no impetus for change at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.