• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wingers missing tackles is usually an indication of something happening in the middle of the park. I’d look at how many collisions the are winning in the middle, cause that’s saying to me the wingers (considering it’s all of them) are been exposed because the opposition has front football, making it easier to shift from side to side. Or they are throwing too many numbers into the rucks creating space on the flanks.

In the Brumbies case, their defenders are all being drawn inside until there's a massive gap and an overlap out wide..........

It was something the Rebels repeatedly exploited against them last month.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There are some caveats in pure stats, most wingers are are defending against multiple units.

True enough FP, but have a look at the outside backs from other Aus teams.

Folau - 11 and 2 for success rate about 85% (and much maligned for his defense);
Clark - 2 and 2 for 50% (a very small sample);
Naivalu - 21 and 5 for about 80%;
Daugunu - 10 and nil for 100%;
Koroibete - 18 and 5 for about 78%;
Hegarty - 27 and 3 for about 90% (some at No 10);
Maddocks - 23 and 12 for about 65%;

It is as clear as the nose on my avatar that there is something amiss with the Brumbies' outside defenders. Whatever is coming at them must be similar to what other outside defenders are facing, but the discrepancies in success rates are too large to ignore. It might be something wrong with the structures further infield, but there is definitely a problem that has to be addressed.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Interesting Daugunu is at 100%. He was very quickly labelled a non defender after he slipped off a tackle on Ben Lam last year, perhaps, that was a bit of a premature judgment. It’s easy to judge a winger for missing a one on one but sometimes you just have to accept they’re not going to tackle guys like Folau or Rieko Ioane 100% of the time.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
True enough FP, but have a look at the outside backs from other Aus teams.

Folau - 11 and 2 for success rate about 85% (and much maligned for his defense);
Clark - 2 and 2 for 50% (a very small sample);
Naivalu - 21 and 5 for about 80%;
Daugunu - 10 and nil for 100%;
Koroibete - 18 and 5 for about 78%;
Hegarty - 27 and 3 for about 90% (some at No 10);
Maddocks - 23 and 12 for about 65%;

It is as clear as the nose on my avatar that there is something amiss with the Brumbies' outside defenders. Whatever is coming at them must be similar to what other outside defenders are facing, but the discrepancies in success rates are too large to ignore. It might be something wrong with the structures further infield, but there is definitely a problem that has to be addressed.

Koroibete is the only aggressive defender in that lot too. I'm happy to see a little dip in success rate for a dominate tackle.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Would be very happy to lock in Jones at 6 right now. Huge game last night and the week before. Has an engine to rival Hooper and plenty of size and to go with it. Definitely what we've been looking for at 6. If Naisarani keeps puttering along the way he's been going we could have a proper test backrow.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
The guy also has no palm at all. It's a little bizarre- all he does is run straight and hope he can beat people, I'm not sure I've ever seen him beat someone on the outside.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I thought Koroibete put in a pretty good showing last night. Not the complete winger but definitely outshone Maddocks. Maddocks' defence was actually a bit worrying, you don't get easy one on ones in test rugby, guys like Rieko Ioane will shred him if he keeps sitting on his heels. Shame because he's been such an asset in attack this year.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought Koroibete put in a pretty good showing last night. Not the complete winger but definitely outshone Maddocks. Maddocks' defence was actually a bit worrying, you don't get easy one on ones in test rugby, guys like Rieko Ioane will shred him if he keeps sitting on his heels. Shame because he's been such an asset in attack this year.

Maddocks made some poor positional choices in D and Koroibete ran hard. My money stays with Maddocks but Koroibete won the night, easy.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A couple of other points from Saturday's Cheika interview that are worth noting

Attack coach will be put in place in may - Aus based
Folau Fainga'a rated highly, but not fit enough, also needs to lose kgs
Mccaffrey was mentioned as an after thought, mentioned his skill set is different, it sounded like Naisarani fits the structure wanted

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I reckon Isi is a nailed on starter at this point. He's already been on tour hasn't he, in one of the development slots? A bit like how Koro went on a few tours before picking up his cap.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
More details on the attack coach, the same article also suggests Gits is the primary option

On Saturday, Cheika shed some insight into the person being targeted to fill Larkham’s void in an interview on Fox Sports and the role he envisions them to play.

“The person we bring in will be someone I think that will be with the players, on field a lot, not build a lot of strategy, more getting players to embrace strategy and understand it so it’s automatic on the field.”

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A couple of other points from Saturday's Cheika interview that are worth noting

Attack coach will be put in place in may - Aus based
Folau Fainga'a rated highly, but not fit enough, also needs to lose kgs
Mccaffrey was mentioned as an after thought, mentioned his skill set is different, it sounded like Naisarani fits the structure wanted

I’m actually liking what I hear from Cheika at the moment.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Coach will just be a caretaker to get through WC, as Cheika said, just someone to help communicate on the pitch. New Coach will pick new Attack

Loving the following as it doesnt impact any Super Rugby makeups:
Head - Rennie
Attack - Wisemantel
Defence - Taylor
Forwards - Bakarat

Status
Not open for further replies.