• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Coach will just be a caretaker to get through WC, as Cheika said, just someone to help communicate on the pitch. New Coach will pick new Attack

Loving the following as it doesnt impact any Super Rugby makeups:
Head - Rennie
Attack - Wisemantel
Defence - Taylor
Forwards - Bakarat

Do you believe we can pull them.

and out of all the guys to bring in and get Cheika's mandate across with out too much fuss, Gits would be great for that roll.. lol one injury and I would throw him on the bench..

We gave him a lot of grief during his career but he would still make the 23 in my mind

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Surely we'd employ a someone with career chops as a coach to the role of attack coach? Gits was a great player but what relevant experience does he have leading an international rugby team's attacking strategy?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Surely we'd employ a someone with career chops as a coach to the role of attack coach? Gits was a great player but what relevant experience does he have leading an international rugby team's attacking strategy?
Apparently not a part of the job description.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Do you believe we can pull them.

and out of all the guys to bring in and get Cheika's mandate across with out too much fuss, Gits would be great for that roll.. lol one injury and I would throw him on the bench..

We gave him a lot of grief during his career but he would still make the 23 in my mind

Rennie yes

Bakarat yes

But it will be either Taylor or Wisemantel. Both got good lucrative digs and prospects. Both will see themselves as the next Wallaby coach after Rennie. Couldn't afford both. Don't be surprised to see Rennie (or the next Head Coach) reinstate Larkham.

Footyyy

Frank Row (1)

Obviously a great player will not necessarily make a great coach. However, I feel that Gits may have an easier time passing his knowledge onto some of the younger players. Although Larkham did have some coaching experience (not really any coaching success) at the Brumbies, I think it would have been very difficult for him to pass on his ability to other players. Larkham was such a freakish player. He would probably have trouble coaching that brilliance to other players, it just seemed to come naturally to him. Gits on the other hand, had to work a lot harder and understand the nuances of the game. This may make it easier for him to coach other players.

Nevertheless, as a temporary solution, I don't think it really matters anyway. The new HC post World Cup will bring in an entirely new structure and none of the existing coaches should carry on.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It seems clear that the attack coach will be there to implement the attack plan\structure, not create such.

It also seems that whoever is picked will have a deal that allows for a coaching cleanout after the RWC

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It seems clear that the attack coach will be there to implement the attack plan\structure, not create such.

It also seems that whoever is picked will have a deal that allows for a coaching cleanout after the RWC
I don't really see the point. Surely Cheika is just as able to implement what is presumably his own attacking plan? You may as well just leave the position vacant unless you have someone who might contribute more than 'communication'.

Then again, it could just be another case of 'no other option'.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

I am just thinking of him being like an Alan Langer running the water for the Broncos.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't really see the point. Surely Cheika is just as able to implement what is presumably his own attacking plan? You may as well just leave the position vacant unless you have someone who might contribute more than 'communication'.

Then again, it could just be another case of 'no other option'.

It is another unit to help implement

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
The appointment of Giteau makes sense in theory i.e. being able to translate the gameplan Chieka has made in Chinese symbols into something the players can understand.

My only reservation is, do we trust Chieka in being able to devise an attacking gameplan and structure that will work? I don't think we've seen anything in the past that would suggest the Wallabies will play with any rugby smarts and we'll default into the Deans 2011 approach of '12 man rugby'.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The appointment of Giteau makes sense in theory i.e. being able to translate the gameplan Chieka has made in Chinese symbols into something the players can understand.

My only reservation is, do we trust Chieka in being able to devise an attacking gameplan and structure that will work? I don't think we've seen anything in the past that would suggest the Wallabies will play with any rugby smarts and we'll default into the Deans 2011 approach of '12 man rugby'.

We have no other option, the ARU has backed him, we aren't going to replace him prior to the RWC

So lets enjoy the ride

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We have no other option, the ARU has backed him, we aren't going to replace him prior to the RWC

So lets enjoy the ride

There it is. A face-slap of reality.

OTOH, it isn’t 100% tish- it will be interesting to see where it goes

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It's been a downhill ride at speed and will likely continue for this year, but I haven't enjoyed one moment of it.

Well the ride has started, you can either strap yourself in and go with it or close your eyes and wish you didn't get on in the first place.

But either way it ain't gonna stop

Wuhu-Feature-1-640x347.png

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Back to Gits for a second. Is it possible that he's just amazing in the sheds? Consider the scenario that he might have been so important in RWC 2015 that Cheik wants him back around the squad next time around.

It's just a theory. But maybe this is less about coaching our attack and more about recreating an attitude, a feeling that existed in the sheds in 2015, of which Gits might have been the architect.

Just a theory.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Also one player observation.

He won't figure in World Cup calculations unless injuries strike, but man I've been impressed with Harry Johnson-Holmes.

He had his best game of the season against the Blues, and that season was already impressive (which is born out in the stats published by Reg above). Just works his arse off, and is so accurate in defence.

Prop is a position where you will need 3-4 options on each side, so it's great to see our 3rd/4th option stepping up at the right time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) has been outstanding.

I don't think he's a long way outside the reckoning. You'd think he'd be in the conversation with Faulkner and Ainsley and the Smith twins if we get below the top 5 (AAA, TT, Sio, Slipper and Kepu).

Status
Not open for further replies.