• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Stem the flow of talent heading overseas.

Subdivide Folau’s million dollars and say Kerevi is on $500k offer him an extra $200k to stay around.

The squads are looking the best they have in years, let’s try and keep them together as much as possible, allow our young guys to grow with some experienced pros and get some positive results on the field. If that means offering 5-6-7 players a portion of that salary then split it up. Then work the squads to get unused talent into teams that need the. Eg. get Timu down to NSW before he’s completely lost, Korczyk somewhere he will actually play, Hardwick to a side that will play him each week, RHP, Cam Clarke, etc.

If only Folau had gone on a religious rant sooner. So many good players leaving. Probably time to cut another franchise.

Already leaving:
Reds: DP, Kerevi, Naivalu, Higginbotham, Timu
Tahs: Rona, Folau, Phipps
Brumbies: Arnold
Rebels: Koroibete

Potentially leaving:
Reds:
Waratahs: Kepu, Beale, Hunt, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Brumbies: Pocock, Lealiifano, Speight
Rebels: Meakes, Quade, Genia, Coleman, Daley

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Let Pocock go, he seems to want to leave post world cup. Bring back McMahon for a backrow of McMahon, Hooper and Isi.

Agree with that. He's still a great footballer but post the World Cup I think his best footy will be behind him and he will be pretty banged up physically. McMahon needs to be coaxed back somehow.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
let's say Tahs/Wallabies are 50-50 for $ on folau. Where does RA invest the soon to be released funds? Working to keep Genia? Quade? Foley? Pocock? or bring back some liek White, Gill, Skelton, Naiyaravoro

No reason for Gill to come home, he knows the lay of the land and nothing has changed.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Could also try and bring McMahon back as a openside..

Gill is a very good player, he is just born at a time when Australia has riches in the position he plays.

B

Bobby Sands

Liam Gill is a ridiculous player. Could easily be the best on his chosen day.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Anyone have an update on how Gill is going? Is he an absolute stand out in France or has he lowered to their standards?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Stem the flow of talent heading overseas.

Subdivide Folau’s million dollars and say Kerevi is on $500k offer him an extra $200k to stay around.

The squads are looking the best they have in years, let’s try and keep them together as much as possible, allow our young guys to grow with some experienced pros and get some positive results on the field. If that means offering 5-6-7 players a portion of that salary then split it up. Then work the squads to get unused talent into teams that need the. Eg. get Timu down to NSW before he’s completely lost, Korczyk somewhere he will actually play, Hardwick to a side that will play him each week, RHP, Cam Clarke, etc.
None of these players are test quality. I don't know how the RA funding model works, but i reckon the portion of Folau's salary that RA cover will either go towards other players on Wallaby top-ups or will just go to covering their other costs in general.

Never say never, but i suspect Cam Clarke will struggle to earn a Wallaby cap.

B

Bobby Sands

Gee Sean McMahon would look good in Red.

Has been spending ALOT of time on the gold coast with his family, and friends while recovering.

Hopefully an omen.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Liam Wright? Jack Dempsey potentially although 6 is probably his preferred position.

Maybe Wright...but Mcmahon, Poey, Hoops and Gill had all made names for themselves by the time they were Wrights age. Wright is 21. All the others were Australia capped by 20. Not saying he won't, but he isn't exactly making a name for himself, he is just moreso the only 7 the Reds have really...I would say Miller, Hardwick, Wilkins, Alcock & Cottrell all better 7s currently, next step up is Samu and Dempsey, with Gill above them.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
None of these players are test quality. I don't know how the RA funding model works, but i reckon the portion of Folau's salary that RA cover will either go towards other players on Wallaby top-ups or will just go to covering their other costs in general.

Spend the money finding a better competition to put all your eggs in with Super Rugby......

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

I never said any of them were, I’d rather the money spent of Kerevi etc to remain, as I said divided up and put into 5-7 players contemplating leaving that are of test quality.

The other players I mentioned need to be moved (on their current wages) to squads that could actually use them, instead of having one team having 5-6 quality flankers but no centres and another team having 3-4 quality centres but no flankers.

Otherwise we will end up with squads with 3-4 top end players and the rest young players or people marginally above club standard. No middle range players that all good clubs need

Status
Not open for further replies.