• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Simmons can't be selected, the bloke is a senior wallaby who has always had loads of potential and a physique to match, yet far too often he goes missing and turns into a powderpuff in big games. Its just not good enough, inconsistency can be excused in youth, but in a senior wallaby with a ton of experience behind him, if he hasn't learned to play consistently good footy by now then he never will.
Physically he's fine, in my opinion. He doesn't need to have the carrying ability of a number 8 if he's just coming off the bench to keep the work-rate high and the lineout solid.

It's his minimum 2 cold knock-on's a game (with one usually when he's clean through for a try) that rule him out for me.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think from the little I've seen of Toni Pulu I'd have him in front of Sefa and Koro, good defensive winger, with pace to burn .. needs a few more games but he should be right in the talk as the flyer.

he'd have to string together a few more games. Sefa has been excellent. Don't think there's been a more consistent performer on the wing among the Aussie teams. Maddocks has been very good on attack but missing elsewhere.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
he'd have to string together a few more games. Sefa has been excellent. Don't think there's been a more consistent performer on the wing among the Aussie teams. Maddocks has been very good on attack but missing elsewhere.
Cheika also seems to rate Sefa.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

I haven't watched as much of Sefa as I would have liked, but there is an air of classiness around Pulu, just another option to add to the wingers we have, and as I said Pace to burn. Let's hope they are all firing by Rugby Championships.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Simmons can't be selected, the bloke is a senior wallaby who has always had loads of potential and a physique to match, yet far too often he goes missing and turns into a powderpuff in big games. Its just not good enough, inconsistency can be excused in youth, but in a senior wallaby with a ton of experience behind him, if he hasn't learned to play consistently good footy by now then he never will.

He is playing no worse than Coleman at the moment, but Coleman has more upside

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He is playing no worse than Coleman at the moment, but Coleman has more upside

That is true, however Coleman is playing horribly by his standards at the moment

IMO, Izack Rodda is playing the best of the locks this year and will be first chosen.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That is true, however Coleman is playing horribly by his standards at the moment

IMO, Izack Rodda is playing the best of the locks this year and will be first chosen.

I think neither at the moment is up for a starting role at the moment, but I expect more patience to be provided to get Coleman ready and in form.

The challenge for Simmons is we all want what he isn't, not what he is, he isn't the smashing monster we want to see, but he is a solid lineout boss who gives you a solid and safe lineout set piece option.

Now all we need is a few hookers that are selected first and foremost by their ability to hit their jumpers

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Now all we need is a few hookers that are selected first and foremost by their ability to hit their jumpers

Reg had this one sorted earlier on:
don't hold us in suspense....who is it?
Nobody has come close to being a reliable lineout operator since 2015 Stephen Moore, and even he couldn't keep it up season to season. None of the Super level hookers are getting any better or any more consistent. We're rapidly aproaching a situation where our options are Super level hookers who can't do the basics of the position with any consistency, or club land hookers who can throw, hook, and scrummage, but not much else.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, it' still ages until the Super Rugby season finishes let alone a RWC squad is picked but for the sake of picking a squad, I'd (at this moment) go with this (starting with the top 23 in my eyes):

15 Reece Hodge
14 Sefa Naivalu
13 Tevita Kuridrani
12 Samu Kerevi
11 Dane Haylett-Petty
10 Bernard Foley
9 Will Genia

8 Isi Naisirani
7 Michael Hooper
6 Luke Jones
5 Izack Rodda
4 Rory Arnold
3 Allan Ala'alatoa
2 Folau Fainga'a
1 James Slipper

16 Damien Fitzpatrick
17 Scott Sio
18 Taniela Tupou
19 Lukhan Salakai-Loto
20 David Pocock
21 Nick Phipps
22 Kurtley Beale
23 Jack Maddocks

With the 31 man squad rounded out as follows:

24 Tatafu Polota-Nau / Brandon Paenga-Amosa (can't risk another rookie hooker with Rangi and Mafi considerations. BPA and probably TPN are behind all of them but some experience needed)
25 Sekope Kepu
26 Adam Coleman
27 Jack Dempsey / Peter Samu
28 Christian Lealiifano / Quade Cooper (dependent on rest of season)
29 Tate McDermott / Jake Gordon
30 Jordan Petaia / Karmichael Hunt (if Petaia can get good minutes under his belt, he'd be in. If not then Hunt is)
31 Matt To'omua

Perhaps one back too many? Might need Dempsey and Samu.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Reg's team is pretty close I reckon. It won't win us the thing, but we may get to the semis with it.

We won't start winning the hard games till we have a world class player in the 10 jumper.

Cooper's fatal flaw of dealing with pressure is there for all to see. If the team around him can get some type of dominance he can contribute really positively with his wonderful skill set.

Foley is pedestrian and cannot consistently kick from the hand at test level. The media have glossed over the fact that Foley failed to find touch twice when kicking out after penalties (and his passing under pressure was ordinary). Foley is still dining out on the pool game vs England 4 years ago. I was there cheering him on so i remember it well.

Lilo is in between the two. To'omua is off my radar and won't have any combo with Will G. Hegarty has turned his season around since the new Reds kicking coach has got into his ear. For mine the choice is between Quade and Bernard.

If i had to choose today i'd go with Cooper and pray he has a redemption opportunity come the final in Japan. Sure Foley is less risk, but i'd prefer a shot at winning.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
None of the Super level hookers are getting any better or any more consistent. We're rapidly aproaching a situation where our options are Super level hookers who can't do the basics of the position with any consistency, or club land hookers who can throw, hook, and scrummage, but not much else.
Fitzpatrick is very consistent in my opinion.

He's tiny and isn't particularly impressive around the park but he hits his jumpers very effectively and is okay in the scrum.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Perhaps one back too many? Might need Dempsey and Samu.
If Jordy doesn't make it back in time and Hunt goes, i'd drop To'omua and take both Samu and Dempsey. Odds are good Pocock only manages 60 odd minutes before he's crocked.

Or ditch Hunt for To'omua. Wouldn't take both though.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Sefa is probably leading the charge for the strike winger position. If he hadn't been injured in 2017, and subsequently stuck on the bench for the Rebels last year, he may well have held down the 11 jersey this past couple of years and we wouldn't even be having the debate.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
"People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors."

"Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results"

Perhaps Snoz and Johnno will surprise me.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
By my reckoning, based purely on observation, none of the NZ hookers have been hitting their jumpers with any more accuracy than our own. I think a loss or two, at most, should almost be expected in a game. It is more important that the losses ought not to occur at either end of the park.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
By my reckoning, based purely on observation, none of the NZ hookers have been hitting their jumpers with any more accuracy than our own. I think a loss or two, at most, should almost be expected in a game. It is more important that the losses ought not to occur at either end of the park.

Yeah, nah, it is the core skill, every miss is a failure

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Agreed, at test level the only reason you lose a lineout should be effective jumping from the defending team.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
But BR is right that NZ lineouts have been more ineffective than Australian. The Bulls lead the comp for lineout success % and the Rebels and Tahs are 2nd and 3rd respectively. Meanwhile the Reds are 7th and the Brumbies 9th. The Highlanders are the highest ranked NZ team and are 8th and, also, their lineout is only 0.2% more successful than the Brumbies.

Interesting that NZ are much vaunted for their core skills but their lineout percentages are so low across the board.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
But BR is right that NZ lineouts have been more ineffective than Australian. The Bulls lead the comp for lineout success % and the Rebels and Tahs are 2nd and 3rd respectively. Meanwhile the Reds are 7th and the Brumbies 9th. The Highlanders are the highest ranked NZ team and are 8th and, also, their lineout is only 0.2% more successful than the Brumbies.

Interesting that NZ are much vaunted for their core skills but their lineout percentages are so low across the board.
Yeah but Brodie Retallick exists so.....

Status
Not open for further replies.