• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is he really worth it though?

From my memory he was pretty similar to Nick Phipps just kicked more

Hope he has improved while overseas

I think he has improved a lot overseas and does provide something different.

It's the right year to do it. The RWC is the one time where bringing in an overseas player really makes sense because we aren't hamstrung by international windows and players missing out on a lot of the training.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
He was good enough from 2014 onwards. Most of his memorable "errors" have been more of an inability to polish a turd; for example, the kick away in 2014 is more on the team's ability to secure the ball and dictate terms while in the lead in the closing minutes than it is on one kick.

However, anyone watching him at Montpellier or Exeter will have seen how well he dictates the tempo and territory of the match, and plays as much a role as an effective playmaker as the 10 or 12. He is not simply the best backup for Genia, he will push Genia for the starting spot. Best of all, his playstyle is more between the ears and in the technique than it is physical, so expect him to be good enough until he's in his mid 30s.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
He's a lot more a Connor Murray style halfback than a Will Genia/Aaron Smith style. Folau chasing his box kicks would have been a really potent weapon. Still, I think he'd be very useful from the bench in terms of controlling the game in the last 20 or so, a period in which the Wallabies have a tendency to lose the plot.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Great signal to the young players, eff off overseas for your big bucks come back on the RWC year all is forgiven, here's a wallaby jersey. No thanks.

There's plenty of half back talent plying their trade here in a much higher rugby standard comp than either Pro14 or pommie premiership.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Be good enough and be in Australia and you'll be considered. Simple rules.

Despite Nic White being one of my favourite players, I wouldn't pick him if he wasn't in Australia. Same for Fardy, same for Holmes, Tomane, McMahon, O'Connor, Pyle, Gill, Skelton, etc., and the same for anyone and everyone.

But, likewise, the ones here need to show their worth. None of the Brumbies scrumhalves are good enough (though Lonergan has the potential, but we shouldn't pick on that), Gordon is a servicable sub and not going to cost us a game, Tate and Sorovi have shown they could be at the level but only the former has shown enough skill now to be in the conversation now, and Ruru hasn't done enough to push Genia for the starting Rebels jersey, let alone to be backup for the Wallabies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’s a good pick up from the Wallabies.

Personally I think it means that it’s Gordon’s spot to lose the 3rd no.9 position at the WC.

The only thing I will say with White is he needs the right system around him and I guess this goes for all players. He was underwhelming at Montpellier but has thrived at Exeter to be probably only behind Faf for best no.9 in the league.

I do wonder where this leaves Powell tho?? It wouldn’t be good for his career to start playing back up at the stage.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Great signal to the young players, eff off overseas for your big bucks come back on the RWC year all is forgiven, here's a wallaby jersey. No thanks.

There's plenty of half back talent plying their trade here in a much higher rugby standard comp than either Pro14 or pommie premiership.

Considering how far we are behind Ireland, Wales and England.......... I'm not so sure about that.

But while I'm conflicted about White returning to the Brumbies with Powell and another good young local up and comer in Lonergan, I have to say that from what I've seen of Nic White he has really upped his game overseas.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He's a lot more a Connor Murray style halfback than a Will Genia/Aaron Smith style. Folau chasing his box kicks would have been a really potent weapon. Still, I think he'd be very useful from the bench in terms of controlling the game in the last 20 or so, a period in which the Wallabies have a tendency to lose the plot.

That style would be more helpful if we were playing in the mud & soft grounds of the UK

Won't Japan be dry hard tracks? It should lead to some pretty fast running rugby rather box kick death

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Box kicking (and kicking in general) is a strength of his, but not his only skill. His speed to the breakdown is incredible, and his decision making in where to send the ball and when to send it is so powerful when you decide to play with high speed and the running game.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Kiwis have regularly shown us in recent years that box kicking is a real weapon if it's executed right and you have chasers.........

And it's important for the halfback to have a good kicking game for exiting your half.

S

Show-n-go

Box kicking (and kicking in general) is a strength of his, but not his only skill. His speed to the breakdown is incredible, and his decision making in where to send the ball and when to send it is so powerful when you decide to play with high speed and the running game.

Jesus he must have improved out of sight, I remember him being pretty fucking useless

Very excited to see this new and improved Nic White, a solid reserve halfback option is really important for us

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He was a pretty line ball option with Nick Phipps when he left. Phipps did certain things better, White did other things better.

I don't think Phipps has particularly improved in that time and the gulf behind Genia is substantial. Phipps is not an absolutely clear second choice with Gordon, Powell and McDermott offering options. I think McDermott has a high ceiling but 2019 might be too soon for him given it is a RWC year and experience is likely to be favoured.

Generally I think it is good if White is back in the frame for the RWC. There's a very decent chance he's the second best option we have.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jesus he must have improved out of sight, I remember him being pretty fucking useless

Very excited to see this new and improved Nic White, a solid reserve halfback option is really important for us

So useless he helped win us the RC against the All Blacks..........

He was also the Super Rugby leader in try assists in that year with the Brumbies.

So, so useless.........

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So useless he helped win us the RC against the All Blacks....

He was also the Super Rugby leader in try assists in that year with the Brumbies.

So, so useless...
Yeah its a long tail how bad Nic was, he was way better then Phipps he hit his passes alot more, better kicking game and bossed the team better.. Phipps had a bit more energy.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Phipps was certainly better with ball in hand and in defence............

White had a better passing and kicking game, but he was certainly more of a NH style playmaking halfback.

S

Show-n-go

So useless he helped win us the RC against the All Blacks....

So, so useless...

is having several full stops at the end of every point you make just some weird grammatical thing they teach you in Canberra?..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
is having several full stops at the end of every point you make just some weird grammatical thing they teach you in Canberra?..............................................................................................................................
lol the single time he had double .. probably meant a mistake more then him proving a point... go back to Phipps who can't even win the tah's first string HB

Status
Not open for further replies.