• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Really? I'm high on McDermott. Snipes well, passes well from the base, and has a good long kicking game. As it stands I'm picking him in the 23 as a backup to White.

Yes I'd agree that Tate is the standout of the available options. But there is still a big gap between him and White. I'm hoping Prior is a lesser gap.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Tate, as with every other Australian 9, has an average box kick. A key skill for a test 9 these days.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Prior, that'll do me. Just remember if you're playing for the Force (before these new signings from players returning) it's generally because you can't get a contract elsewhere.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Prior, that'll do me. Just remember if you're playing for the Force (before these new signings from players returning) it's generally because you can't get a contract elsewhere.

yeeah. I'm hoping someone got it wrong though..at least one of the other four franchises.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sure if rejected by 1-2 franchises, not 4.

Prior left the Reds because he was behind Genia............

After two seasons at the Brumbies he left because he was behind White............

And he's been at the Force ever since.

Having said that, I probably wouldn't consider him.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
All of that possibly still puts him ahead of the other options. Will see shortly, I’ll happily retract if he’s no good. It still won’t fix the issue.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think Tate is the standout atm, and for mine White has to be bloody good when he gets back to be rated ahead of him. Powell third, perhaps Prior could challenge that, interesting to see how he goes tonight, behind a pack that should hold it's own and opposite a second choice Tahs 9.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
All of that possibly still puts him ahead of the other options. Will see shortly, I’ll happily retract if he’s no good. It still won’t fix the issue.

Very interested to see where they're all at. As far wallabies go I expect Lance to be a contender and Godwin, Prior, Frisby and Ready to be outside chances, no idea on the rest.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thinking the Rebels combo of Gibbon and Faamausili would be the '3rd string' LHP and THP in the country atm, IMO, overtaking Bell and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes).

LHP: Sio --> Slipper --> Gibbon --> Bell --> Smith --> Faulkner/Orr
THP: Ala'alatoa --> Tupou --> Faamasuili --> HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) --> Holmes/Longbottom

If Nonggoor and Tauakipulu keep progressing, we could have a scary good production line of THP's to pick from now through to 2023 WC and then on to 2027 WC's.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, that was only the second time I’ve really watched Fa’amausili and I was even more impressed then the first time. He has a bit of attitude too (and fair enough when you’re that big). His fitness does seem a bit of an issue though.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I don’t think Lance will be a contender from what I saw last night. The abysmal lineouts in the Reds and Rebels match firm up Simmons’ spot.

Reactions: dru

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thinking the Rebels combo of Gibbon and Faamausili would be the '3rd string' LHP and THP in the country atm, IMO, overtaking Bell and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes).

LHP: Sio --> Slipper --> Gibbon --> Bell --> Smith --> Faulkner/Orr
THP: Ala'alatoa --> Tupou --> Faamasuili --> HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) --> Holmes/Longbottom

If Nonggoor and Tauakipulu keep progressing, we could have a scary good production line of THP's to pick from now through to 2023 WC and then on to 2027 WC's.
The scrum pecking order is strange in Aus.

There is a high possibility that our best TH might well be our best LH in AAT.

The Tahs have butchered HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) who could potentially be the 2nd best LH but moved him to TH.

The other issue we have is that we have 2 very very good TH’s which is amazing when both are fit, however 3rd choice isn’t near the mark yet. If we had a great 3rd choice I’d be tempted to play AAT at LH with Tupou at TH but the drop off to the bench TH could be too great, so it will continue to be AAT as first choice TH with Tupou on the bench.

Locking spots I think Philip has cemented himself as the best in the SRAU atm. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is probably the only other that could lay claim to that area.

Hooker is here nor there with options. Uelese is an amazing scrummager, you just have to see what’s happened to the Rebels scrum since he’s come into the team and and what happens when he goes off but his throwing is the worst of a bad bunch. Fainga'a is better in the loose but doesn’t really change the dynamic of the team in the physical battle and BPA is probably the most rounded but doesn’t excel at anything.