• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think Hooper is a safe bet to be picked, but I reckon a week ago there was probably no one that didn’t have Nasirani, and very few that didn’t have TK in their squad. I believe both of them may have even been referred to as ‘first name on the sheet’.

Should be a competitive camp.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ah yes let's blame Hooper for the recent performances. If Hooper wasn't in the team we wouldn't be 7th in the world you're absolutely right about that.

We'd be 12th.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think Hooper is a safe bet to be picked, but I reckon a week ago there was probably no one that didn’t have Nasirani, and very few that didn’t have TK in their squad. I believe both of them may have even been referred to as ‘first name on the sheet’.

Should be a competitive camp.
Hooper is on the next level of talent, reputation and most importantly output than either of those players. If you quizzed 100 fans from 10 other countries who the best player in Australia was, Hooper would be close to the most mentioned name. It’s only in Australia we seem to have these discussions

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
These players will be close to retirement age by 2023:
DHP 34
Hooper 31
Koroibete 31
O'Connor 33
Samu 31
Simmons 34
Slipper 34
To'omua 33
Sio 31
Arnold 33

All could play, 34 is pushing it like we saw with Read and B. Smith last year but it's possible. Looking at that list, Really I hope Simmons is the only one that should be moved on in 3 years. Happy for the others to give it one final go. Slipper should be coming into his prime by then.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hooper is on the next level of talent, reputation and most importantly output than either of those players. If you quizzed 100 fans from 10 other countries who the best player in Australia was, Hooper would be close to the most mentioned name. It’s only in Australia we seem to have these discussions

Right behind him is Kerevi too. Aus fans are unreal sometimes.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
On that thought, Slipper for captain. Genuinely one of the best players Aus has produced, criminally underrated and underused.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
DHP 34
Hooper 31
Koroibete 31
O'Connor 33
Samu 31
Simmons 34
Slipper 34
To'omua 33
Sio 31
Arnold 33

All could play, 34 is pushing it like we saw with Read and B. Smith last year but it's possible. Looking at that list, Really I hope Simmons is the only one that should be moved on in 3 years. Happy for the others to give it one final go. Slipper should be coming into his prime by then.
I like DHP but I’d be disappointed if he’s in contention by the next World Cup. I’m confident there will be good enough talent across all the franchises to move him on from the conversation by then.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't think anyone has done enough to knock Hooper out of the team but who knows. However I do think he had a pretty big form slump at the start of the year, there were points there where he looked completely disinterested, as did a lot of the tahs. Seems to have turned it around now though.

It looks to me like our forward pack has a much better chance of being balanced this year too. I think the tight five picks itself aside from there being no real form loosehead and the injury to Uelese, but it looks like there won't be a huge difference between players in these positions.

Backrow is a real conundrum, there are a lot of good players there but picking the best combination of them will be very hard. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of movement there. Especially at 6.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I like DHP but I’d be disappointed if he’s in contention by the next World Cup. I’m confident there will be good enough talent across all the franchises to move him on from the conversation by then.
Same. I don't think DHP is going to win us world cups. He probably won't lose it though (if that makes sense).

Hopefully these Grealy kid lights it up next year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
DHP 34
Hooper 31
Koroibete 31
O'Connor 33
Samu 31
Simmons 34
Slipper 34
To'omua 33
Sio 31
Arnold 33

In terms of Slipper, I wonder if that is still the case with props maturing so late? They're certainly not starting later like they used to in terms of entering professional environments and playing pro games.

Likewise, the around the field play of props is far more essential to their overall play than it used to be too.

With a decade of test and Super Rugby under his belt he's already played a lot of high end rugby.

I would certainly rule out Simmons because once he goes overseas I doubt he'll be called back.

In an ideal world none of these players will still be in our best 23 come 2023 because I don't think any of them will be better players in 2023 than they are now.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
I would bet on a starting backrow of 6. Valetini 7. Hooper 8. Samu.

Lineout could be pretty weak with that combination. I would definitely target it if I was the opposition coach. I like all those players but I'm not sure how they will work together. Tonne of overlap with Hooper and Samu.

Reactions: dru

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lineout could be pretty weak with that combination. I would definitely target it if I was the opposition coach. I like all those players but I'm not sure how they will work together. Tonne of overlap with Hooper and Samu.
Isn’t Samu and Valetini both L/O options? Add the 2 locks and that’s 4 options with Hooper a sneaky 5th if needed

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
Isn’t Samu and Valetini both L/O options? Add the 2 locks and that’s 4 options with Hooper a sneaky 5th if needed

Valetini is poor in the air, as well as not being particularly tall and the other two are very short. Height's not everything but they aren't going to cut it as main lineout options. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is hardly dominant in the lineout either, assuming he is one 2nd row, though he has his moments.

Edit: To be fair, prior to the Reds troubles in the lineout this year, I thought LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was pretty good. He certainly has the skill and potential.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think one of Valetini or Wilson starts, Wright-Hooper/McReight-Samu is just too light and a bit same, same. Valetini wasn't quite as good as he was in the back end of the competition but I feel like Rennie will rate his "off the ball work."