• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Personally, I'd like to see Hodge get another run at 10, but one thing Rennie hasn't done is double down on his last game selections. Won't be at all surprised if there are 3 or 4 personnel changes coming into this test.

There's already two forced with Slipper and Swinton out.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is likely available again and so too DHP. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) will absolutely come into the starting XV if fit.

It's probably a safe bet that there'll be 5+ changes to the 23.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not that impressed with the continued selection of Hanigan when we have so much talent not getting a run.

No bench lock is scary.

Edit: hence the Hanigan selection i guess.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ned has improved significantly over previous years' efforts, but still not what I'd consider an out and out test player. His selection at 6 does open the opportunity to play both Valetini and Wright off the bench, and having a fresh backrow towards the end of the match is a very good goal, but unfortunately neither of Valetini nor Wright have offered much in their appearances so far. Maybe this is their time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Still a bit baffled how Wright and Valentini is favoured over Samu. But no real big criticisms of his selections so far.

I think Samu's breakdown inaccuracy in the first test and general lack of substantial impact elsewhere has hurt his chances. Personally I would have played him at 6 in that test and Wilson at 8.

I'm surprised he hasn't been given another go, particularly as Valetini and Wright haven't really taken their chances either.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't understand Wrights selection on the bench. We don't need a 7 as Hooper will play the entire game, McReight is a better on ball player, Samu offers more in attack.

I think he will develop into a quality 6 over the next few years but he's not there yet.

Happy to be proven wrong on the weekend though.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I don't understand Wrights selection on the bench. We don't need a 7 as Hooper will play the entire game, McReight is a better on ball player, Samu offers more in attack.

I think he will develop into a quality 6 over the next few years but he's not there yet.

Happy to be proven wrong on the weekend though.

I think he's there as cover for the whole backrow, I expect him to replace Wilson at 8 if there's no injuries.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Still a bit baffled how Wright and Valentini is favoured over Samu. But no real big criticisms of his selections so far.

Either I’m guessing he is injured or there’s something else the coaches see that we don’t, noting that this is the second coaching setup where people have argued he was unfairly overlooked.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's quite interesting that little has changed so far in terms of pecking order from Cheika to Rennie.

The most substantial change is decrease for Naisarani.

Philip has had a big step up but likewise, the two starting locks from last year are gone so realistically he's just leapfrogged Simmons.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Either I’m guessing he is injured or there’s something else the coaches see that we don’t, noting that this is the second coaching setup where people have argued he was unfairly overlooked.

I think if we had more locks it would be a different story, but at the moment there isn't much room for his role.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It's quite interesting that little has changed so far in terms of pecking order from Cheika to Rennie.

The most substantial change is decrease for Naisarani.

Philip has had a big step up but likewise, the two starting locks from last year are gone so realistically he's just leapfrogged Simmons.

Kuridrani and Dempsey have also dropped back, though Kuridrani was probably on that trajectory already. Edit: And BPA has leapfrogged Fainga'a and Uelese

Otherwise I think a lot of the potential changes that might have happened were forced - Genia, Foley, Lealiifano, Beale, Kepu and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) were all approaching the end of their tenure at the world cup, and at least half of them would have been dropped had they stayed in Australia.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Kuridrani and Dempsey have also dropped back, though Kuridrani was probably on that trajectory already. Edit: And BPA has leapfrogged Fainga'a and Uelese

Dempsey is definitely one. Kuridrani was also outside the 23 by the end of last season (but certainly not making the squad is a step down again).

I feel like BPA is an edge case. Cheika picked him to debut before Fainga'a. His form in 2019 was certainly well down on what it was in 2018 when he first got picked and then was probably better than both those years in 2020 when he's returned to the starting jersey.

Rennie also started the test season with Fainga'a/Uelese.