• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
How's Hanigan tracking these days anyway?

I know he gets a lot of criticism - and rightly so. But I think he was always a good future prospect, he was just way too fresh for test rugby. He should be starting to be more effective into contact now.

He certainly got bigger in the past 18 months - I sometimes see him round these parts, and he's pretty solid. I think he was more effective this year for the Tahs, but I agree with FP, good back row (6) option especially lineout-wise but needs to work on his accuracy in defence - seems to often go for big hits but mis-times them and loses effectiveness. Should be better in attacking and defensive contact. Sounds like he's got a decent work ethic. Be interested to see how he goes next year for the Tahs.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He certainly got bigger in the past 18 months - I sometimes see him round these parts, and he's pretty solid. I think he was more effective this year for the Tahs, but I agree with FP, good back row (6) option especially lineout-wise but needs to work on his accuracy in de fence - seems to often go for big hits but mis-times them and loses effectiveness. Should be better in attacking and defensive contact. Sounds like he's got a decent work ethic. Be interested to see how he goes next year for the Tahs.
How Old is He ? I would think the next few years he should come into his own at 6, we give him a bit of stick on these boards but mostly because he was pushed early into the Tah's then Wallabies, but I think he could end up being a really great 6.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
How Old is He ? I would think the next few years he should come into his own at 6, we give him a bit of stick on these boards but mostly because he was pushed early into the Tah's then Wallabies, but I think he could end up being a really great 6.

24. I said it on another board but majority of players (especially forwards) need a couple of seasons in a professional program to build the muscle/strength. I'm pretty sure he only went into the Waratahs fulltime program in 2016.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Agree. Had a big season last year. Think he’ll be a dominant force in the pack if he continues to bulk up and get angry. Might be a good personality for the game as well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
At a time when we have the likes of Valetini, Samu, Dempsey, Wright, Wilson and Leota all vying for the same spots, and all of whom have the necessary physique and ability to use it now, I cannot see where Ned Hanigan fits in.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Yep, only 3 Tahs in the 23, and, as BR reliably assures us, FF (Folau Fainga'a) was the form hooker all year and should have been there, Hooper isn't a real 7 and shouldn't be there, and Beale should never be anywhere near a gold jersey, leaving you with the ideal number of Tahs :)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
They have both had their chances and have been found wanting. They both need to be working on themselves to get another chance

Has Jones though? He played 3 tests this year off the bench when he had no real chance to have an impact. When compared to others he's had the least opportunity, some by his own doing by moving to France.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Has Jones though? He played 3 tests this year off the bench when he had no real chance to have an impact. When compared to others he's had the least opportunity, some by his own doing by moving to France.

Others have grasped their chance with limited opportunities like that.

Jones' problem was largely that he stood out as having a negative impact in at least one of those appearances. With a stacked field in 2019 and moving forward, it's hard to see him demanding more chances than that.

It would take an unbelievable 2020 season for him to get a starting jersey and a good run at keeping it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Gotta disagree BR. At what point did LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) grab his opportunity? He was pretty shite throughout but kept getting selected in a position where we finally had some options.

That left us with the only realistic team in the WC involving the Pooper again, well past it's used by date

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Gotta disagree BR. At what point did LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) grab his opportunity? He was pretty shite throughout but kept getting selected in a position where we finally had some options.

That left us with the only realistic team in the WC involving the Pooper again, well past it's used by date

Yep as I have said before he's not even the best 6 in QLD. His continued selection was baffling.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I agree that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)'s performances in 2019 were pretty average. He did have a couple of good games though.

You could certainly look at some of his cameos off the bench in 2017 and 2018 though and see why he got selected more often.

It would have been good if Dempsey didn't get injured early in the test season again and was able to be tested more. The reality though is that Jones certainly didn't do anything to suggest he should get a start even though LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) wasn't convincing in his start.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Yep, he was average, sometimes a unit will take those chances, make an impact and others don't. I see Jones as a solid pro clubman (in no way meant as an insult) not a test player

Dempsey does make that impact so he gets a chance

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Disagree LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) plays a role, he does the same shit Hanigan was required to do (tackle, take lineout catches, run a bit & hit a lot of rucks), just that little bit better