• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That would've been true if Coleman and Arnold stayed but right now Rodda and Simmons are the best 2 locks in Aus. Serious issue for Aus this year.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
So much to be excited about, some real talent coming through. Maybe not this year but I think this could be a Wallabies side soon:

1. Bell
2. Uelese
3. Tupou
4. Hockings
5. Rodda
6. Swinton
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. Harrison
11. Nawaqanitawase
12. Lolesio
13. Petaia
14. Maddocks
15. Lucas
Not sure I’m sold on Maddocks. Imo, Wright is ahead of him on attacking ability just needs to not back himself every time and look for support.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I know you said not this year but soon.but how soon 2021? 2022? next wc?

Can't see Bell over taking Sio in the next couple years, maybe 3 but we havn't seen a thing and then he would have to overtake HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) also.

Loving Swinton! Him and Wilson will be great, Dempsey and Hanigan are nothing special and not really obstacles, however we will always need some muscle go forward so thinking it would be like..Swinton6/Naisarani8 or Wilson6/Naisarani8 or LSL6/Wilson8. (Hope to see Skelton return)

Mcdermott and Harrison for sure will be around, but off the bench at BEST in 2021 with White and To'omua still around.

There are so many still young guys (especially backs) who have signed long term deals and will be around for a few years yet. Maddocks/Hodge/Banks/Koroibete/Daugunu/Vunivalu. Nawaqa has the best shot but that's a hefty and impressive crew around him - again probs not till 2022/23 to really see him shine. That being said, once Beale (2020) and DHP (2021) move on Nawaqanitawase could be the FB solution if Banks and Maddocks don't shine. FYI - I like Daugunu, but not like enough for a 4 year RA top up deal.

2022 - Year pre WC

Hookers - Uelese, Fainga'a + MYSTERY
Props - Sio, Ala'alatoa, Thor, Bell, Nangoorrrrrrrrrr!
Locks - Rodda, Hockings, SKELTON, Blyth
BR - Swinton, Wilson, Naisarani, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Hoops, Wright
HB - White, Powell, Mcdermott
fh - Harrison, Lucas, + Mystery!
C - Lolosio, Hodge, mystery (moeroa?), Petaia
OB - Vunivalu, Koroibete, Maddocks, Banks, Nawaqanitawase

BUT who knows! in 3 years time we could be talking about the next 20 year old Petaia or Wilson or Nawaqa, but they are still stitting in a class room in year 10 or 11 right now ready to take the world by storm and demand selection by 2023
Sio was very poor last night and who is Nangoooor?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Reds fan having a go at Simmons lineout ability. What a world.

It’s not so strange and at least I’m a Simmo fan. But the line out calls were poor and he shares the pack responsibility in the scrum. It isn’t a go about his line out ability, it is a criticism of him line out in this game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It’s not so strange and at least I’m a Simmo fan. But the line out calls were poor and he shares the pack responsibility in the scrum. It isn’t a go about his line out ability, it is a criticism of him line out in this game.

No ones ever been selected or not selected off one game.

Simmons will be a starting lock this year. We have no one else... YET.

Reactions: dru
B

Bobby Sands

Coleman is pants. Arnold is a big loss though.

I’ve seen Coleman buckled in Melbourne that many times. I think the Rebels has a pretty party culture from what I’ve heard. The Reds did for years too.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No ones ever been selected or not selected off one game.

Simmons will be a starting lock this year. We have no one else. YET.

He’s a decent shout for the bench, but not necessarily a starter...............

Right now the question would be who will go on to partner Rodda, and Simmons is not a good fit so I would suggest:

4. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
5. Rodda

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think things will improve once Rennie is officially fully invested and relocated down under. More coop with the franchises will help.

I thought Dave Wessels to be a good coach but I have my reservations lately. Perhaps the Rebels will turn things around. I was mightily suprised by this weekend's result.

What the Wallabies need is a physically imposing lock to provide some grunt to the front row. What's the deal with Skelton now?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
We are in dangerous territory with limited depth for the next couple of years. My biggest concern is our flyhalf. To'omua is the only option as starting flyhalf and even that is scary. Will Harrison with one Super Rugby cap the only logical second option. How did ARU let this happen. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but will Quade Cooper be eligible and able to play for the Wallabies in 2020? The other question, would he want to?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We are in dangerous territory with limited depth for the next couple of years. My biggest concern is our flyhalf. To'omua this only option as starting flyhalf and even that is scary. Will Harrison with one Super Rugby cap the only logical second option. How did ARU let this happen. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but will Quade Cooper be eligible and able to play for the Wallabies?

Early days, but after the weekend I'm not sure if Harrison is as yet the logical second option.........

But Bernard Foley is eligible.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’ll take Foley over Cooper. There’s a bit of relief. Harrison is no where near test level but there are no other options.

We should all just breathe and relax. Let's see the season unwind for a bit and get Rennie based on home soil. I dont at all think locks will be an issue, even if we need to blood new WBs. And 10 is actually looking interesting for the first time in ages. I don't have an issue with a stop gap such as To'omua (or god help us Beale or JOC (James O'Connor)), but with Harrison, Deegan, Lolesio, and Lucas coming through it is time to think more positively to the future.