• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
All indications from Rennie so far is he is going to pick the best side available where possible. The 2nd test is 6 days after the 1st test, which is not an uncommon turnaround for a pro rugby player. If the series is in the balance leading into the third test I suspect each player will be a case by case call re selection. Some State of origin players backed up for the NRL less than 48 hours later last week so don't see why our best players wouldn't be up for selection off a 5 day break for a series deciding test match. If we are up 2-0 then it is a different story, I would fully expect an array of changes for the third test

Valetini, Hooper and Wilson seems like a pretty obvious first choice backrow this season.

In the French series I certainly expect we'll see a lot of players used. What will be interesting is whether this is basically two different starting XVs or whether it is mix and match to manage minutes across three games in a short period of time.

Do you pick two starting XVs and have mostly the same bench for all 3 tests (so the bench players are not starters for the second test) or do you mix and match so you pick your best 23 for tests 1 and 3 and then the bench players plus seven others get a chance to start the second test and half the starters from the first test make up the bench for the second test.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
All indications from Rennie so far is he is going to pick the best side available where possible. The 2nd test is 6 days after the 1st test, which is not an uncommon turnaround for a pro rugby player. If the series is in the balance leading into the third test I suspect each player will be a case by case call re selection. Some State of origin players backed up for the NRL less than 48 hours later last week so don't see why our best players wouldn't be up for selection off a 5 day break for a series deciding test match. If we are up 2-0 then it is a different story, I would fully expect an array of changes for the third test

It's 6 days between the first and second tests but the third one is the issue with only 4 days between the second and third test.

Any decision around whether you play a different lineup for the second test is because you don't think it is reasonable for most of your key players to start 3 tests in 11 days at the start of a long test season and think the best way to maximise your output is to select your best players in tests one and three.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
TBH, you might have your rose-coloured rear view mirror working. I agree with you re Poidevin, Finnegan was close to the edge (and well past it by todays rules) but Sam Scott-Young was an out and out thug.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's 6 days between the first and second tests but the third one is the issue with only 4 days between the second and third test.

Any decision around whether you play a different lineup for the second test is because you don't think it is reasonable for most of your key players to start 3 tests in 11 days at the start of a long test season and think the best way to maximise your output is to select your best players in tests one and three.

Maybe its your best side for 1 & 2, then your reserve grade for 3 hoping you've already sewn up the series.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think it'll be best side for game 1, with a bench that can reduce the load on some key players (for example maybe you start Hodge & JOC (James O'Connor), so you take Lol'o on the bench and he takes the last 30min with Hodge there as cover if something further happens). Similarly you play your first front row 50 min then bring on your second front row (especially knowing if you have an injury to your front row you can bring back your starter). Then for your second test maybe with our backline example you start Lol'o (assuming he goes okay), flipping that bench.

I think the thing to remember is we don't have just 15 players, we've got 15+8, over three games that's 45 starts but also 24 bench spots, and if you can afford to shut guys down early that's going to be a massive boon. Using your bench well will be key!

I think there are some guys who can do 3 tests in 11 days, especially those younger guys like a Harry Wilson (maybe Valetini but I think he'll be taking on Wilson's brutal work so he can play all 3).

In isolation I'd prefer a balanced team across tests 1 and 2 with Test 3 being your best side, but knowing the French are going to be underdone game 1 probably inverts that a little bit. Then if you are playing your best team game one, then you're probably going to push hard in game two to make sure game 3 doesn't matter.

Ultimately this is really an excellent situation for us where we are forced to test out a few guys, we get to see what a side might look like without Hooper (should get to see McReight at test level too), we get to really test Tupou vs AAAAA, we get a good look at our 3/4th locks, get Lol'o some burn. Get to really test out a lot of those 'stuck behind x' type players.

It's kind of a shame SA didn't come over last year for the Rugby Championship because that'd have forced a similar sort of wider squad testing, but this will be a really good series for the Wallabies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ultimately this is really an excellent situation for us where we are forced to test out a few guys, we get to see what a side might look like without Hooper (should get to see McReight at test level too), we get to really test Tupou vs AAAAA, we get a good look at our 3/4th locks, get Lol'o some burn. Get to really test out a lot of those 'stuck behind x' type players.
I kind of would have preferred to see Wright in there, getting an opportunity in his proper position. Would have made things interesting. Not often we have a line-out operator at 7.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Maybe its your best side for 1 & 2, then your reserve grade for 3 hoping you've already sewn up the series.

Bugger that - no-one in Victoria is goes to the Rugby, especially on a Tuesday night or will be allowed to with the spicy cough going around. Don't ruin the spectacle in Brisbane which is the only non-school night the games are being played on!

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Bugger that - no-one in Victoria is goes to the Rugby, especially on a Tuesday night or will be allowed to with the spicy cough going around. Don't ruin the spectacle in Brisbane which is the only non-school night the games are being played on!

I go lol, Its okay we are very close to getting the game taken away from us anyway

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
La Rochelle tidily beat Racing 92 this morning, so we'll be facing a French side with Vakatawa, Teddy Thomas and Fickou in the backline but no Brice Dulin. Add in Jalibert or Ntamack from tomorrow's game, with Damian Penaud on the wing, that's essentially their first choice backline. So, can't be expecting a B team.

Tomorrow's game should be fun. Bordeaux have given rare starts to both Kane Douglas and Scott Higginbotham, Richie Arnold is injured so Jerome Kaino is partnering Rory in the 2nd row for Toulouse.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
@ Derpus
Yeah, I do feel like it's a bit weird we've got Leota & Wells in there but not Wright. He does fix all our issues of back row balance if you play him at 7. I do still think McReight is the better pure 7, but unless / until we have a 6 or 8 who locks down that spot who is also a real lineout option I think we should be doing everything we can to get guys like Furgus Lee-Warner or Liam Wright shoehorned into a back row. (And get Geoff Parling teaching Harry Wilson everything he knows about lineouts.)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
@ Derpus
Yeah, I do feel like it's a bit weird we've got Leota & Wells in there but not Wright. He does fix all our issues of back row balance if you play him at 7. I do still think McReight is the better pure 7, but unless / until we have a 6 or 8 who locks down that spot who is also a real lineout option I think we should be doing everything we can to get guys like Furgus Lee-Warner or Liam Wright shoehorned into a back row. (And get Geoff Parling teaching Harry Wilson everything he knows about lineouts.)
Geoff Parling isn't coaching anymore I don't believe it's Dan McKellar as forward coach..

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
One thing we learnt from last night's game: tactical kicking is going to be a very important area that we just have to get right. And lineouts, attacking and defensive.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think it'll be best side for game 1, with a bench that can reduce the load on some key players (for example maybe you start Hodge & JOC (James O'Connor), so you take Lol'o on the bench and he takes the last 30min with Hodge there as cover if something further happens). Similarly you play your first front row 50 min then bring on your second front row (especially knowing if you have an injury to your front row you can bring back your starter). Then for your second test maybe with our backline example you start Lol'o (assuming he goes okay), flipping that bench.

I think the thing to remember is we don't have just 15 players, we've got 15+8, over three games that's 45 starts but also 24 bench spots, and if you can afford to shut guys down early that's going to be a massive boon. Using your bench well will be key!

I think there are some guys who can do 3 tests in 11 days, especially those younger guys like a Harry Wilson (maybe Valetini but I think he'll be taking on Wilson's brutal work so he can play all 3).

In isolation I'd prefer a balanced team across tests 1 and 2 with Test 3 being your best side, but knowing the French are going to be underdone game 1 probably inverts that a little bit. Then if you are playing your best team game one, then you're probably going to push hard in game two to make sure game 3 doesn't matter.

It's kind of a shame SA didn't come over last year for the Rugby Championship because that'd have forced a similar sort of wider squad testing, but this will be a really good series for the Wallabies.

I don’t like the idea of players playing 3 tests in 3 days as that sounds like inviting a bunch of injuries to happen.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don’t like the idea of players playing 3 tests in 3 days as that sounds like inviting a bunch of injuries to happen.

I'd agree, but: https://www.rugby.com.au/news/dave-rennie-new-wallabies-welcomed-to-the-dark-side-2021613

Rennie is not getting cute with this French series and risking a loss by playing a blended “B” line-up for the midweek Test in Melbourne.
“No. Honestly, guys can back-up and play big minutes in each Test if needed. The props may be a little different,” Rennie said.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So, despite being available Gael Fickou and Baptiste Serin have declined to go on tour to Australia. Not ideal. Hopefully it's not the start of the end.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also Bordeaux lost to Toulouse this morning (with Higginbotham winding back the clock to put in a MotM performance in a losing side). So in theory players like Matthieu Jalibert and Cameron Woki should be available to tour. You'd imagine Galthié will announce his squad in the next 48 hours.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
My totally uninformed guess would be that no matter who is selected, the French team will be strong.

Yes they've got enough talent across the board who want to prove themselves. Fickou knows he can miss this tour and will still be selected. Just a shame that we're not going to see their very best. But regardless, I'd imagine they're still favourites.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Sorry should probably start a french tour thread? Idk, it's essentially just the Wallabies 2021. But here's their squad of 42 players. Fair enough they have to take a lot. They can't fly anyone out to replace injured players unlike us.
E4UYjtzWQAc0zFD

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wow, that is an inexperienced squad. I thought France would be favourites regardless but I might be changing my tune here. This isn't the B team that nearly beat England, this is quite experimental.