• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I do not recognize a single name.

By my count there are:
- 20 debutants in that group.
- another 7 players with 16 caps between them
- another 10 with around 5-8 caps each

So, probably only 6-7 French players with solid experience. But there's a fair few who'll be around for a while.

You'd recognise Damian Penaud & Teddy Thomas. They're genuinely their first choice wingers. Apart from that, don't think there's any XV starters. Maybe Demba Bamba at prop who will cause us a lot of headaches.

Bucket load of u20s stars from the past few years. Louis Carbonel I'm fairly sure was captain or started fly half when France just beat us in the finals when we had Wilson, McReight etc.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Really what I was half expecting from French, a veritable 3rd string team if that. And what a shame we are not going to see the likes of Dupont, Ntmack etc.
It probably takes a huge amount of interest out of tour, and outside Aus suspect it will be only crusty old rugby men that will be watching!
I know it what it is in these Covid times and same will happen all over the place, just a shame, I was really looking forward to the tour (still am up to a point).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So they left some of their semi finalists behind aswell, not just finalist. Vakatawa and Fickou for example.

Yes and Jalibert, Le Roux, Rebbadji and Baptiste Serin from Toulon, Paul Willemse from Montpellier, plus Camille Chat & Ollivon who are both injured. So, a lot of forced players in the semi-finals but also lots of top players who finished up weeks ago that are staying at home.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I do not recognize a single name.
Yeh basically France are treating this as a development your for their second and third string players then a real test match. As they would not do this for a six nations game. Oh well I have bought 3 tickets for July 7 scg game so hope we see a good contest.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeh basically France are treating this as a development your for their second and third string players then a real test match. As they would not do this for a six nations game. Oh well I have bought 3 tickets for July 7 scg game so hope we see a good contest.

I think it's good news for us. They have enough depth to provide stiff competition and Australia could really do with a confidence boost.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Brumbies hooker Connal McInerney will cover for fellow fresh face Feleti Kaitu’u and Irae Simone has replaced Izaia Perese

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Surely there’s something in the test series contract about quality control and selecting quality players?

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I imagine it goes out the window when you're requiring the opposition to do two weeks of quarantine on arrival.

If they’re sending a team of that level we’re better off helping out Fiji/Samoa and giving them more games. At least we’d get better gate takings then

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If they’re sending a team of that level we’re better off helping out Fiji/Samoa and giving them more games. At least we’d get better gate takings then

Would their players/unions be willing to do expensive two week quarantines in Australia?

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
It would be ridiculously easy for a player to be ruled out on medical grounds.

That's true, i guess it's just pretty disheartening seeing a team with such quality take the piss. They'll dramatically increase their depth from this tour and our gate takings + interest in the tour have just taken a nose dive.