• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Ah, yep. I could only see him having played in Queensland, in 18/19 also having played for Fiji U20's in 2017 IIRC. But 2017 should put him under the old residency rules and mean he's Aussie Test Eligible wouldn't it?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ah, yep. I could only see him having played in Queensland, in 18/19 also having played for Fiji U20's in 2017 IIRC. But 2017 should put him under the old residency rules and mean he's Aussie Test Eligible wouldn't it?

Assuming he hasn’t broken residency by returning to Fiji or any prolonged periods

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
With the rodda signing I feel now we have enough quality players in all positions except fullback.

I am seriously thinking whether one should try petatia at full back. As to me banks just won’t ever be the answer and Maddocks equally not convinced. Just not had the same quality at fullback since Folau departure but we need to find a better answer then looking at players to fill the gap who look like they will only be honest toilers at super rugby level.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
With the rodda signing I feel now we have enough quality players in all positions except fullback.

I am seriously thinking whether one should try petatia at full back. As to me banks just won’t ever be the answer and Maddocks equally not convinced. Just not had the same quality at fullback since Folau departure but we need to find a better answer then looking at players to fill the gap who look like they will only be honest toilers at super rugby level.

Given the wingers we have at the moment im happy for a fairly safe set of hands with a big boot at the back. Not sure moving Petaia to a position he has never played would be a great option for the Wallabies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Given the wingers we have at the moment im happy for a fairly safe set of hands with a big boot at the back. Not sure moving Petaia to a position he has never played would be a great option for the Wallabies.

Petaia has played fullback although I’m not sure at what level. It wouldn’t be a silly move but would rather the Reds see the opportunity first. With the developing depth at 10 and in the centres I reckon JOC (James O'Connor) back there would be a good option. All that said maddocks has been one of the better players in a poor team, probably still a bit too inconsistent to be considered at test level though.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yes to Hodge, I forgot about him as a 15. I’ve always thought he has a bit of the Chris Latham’s about him - awkward but elusive, the big boot to go with it, and deceptively quick.

Wouldn't hurt if the bloke had some time in the position. He's not exactly setting the world on fire at 12.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
You have Hodge, Maddocks, Wright(where is Wright?) and if you want a Folau type option Vunivalu.
Of course DHP might be an option.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not Wallabies but Wallaroos related. World Rugby has just announced a new competition format for the women's game that will launch from 2023 (thanks to the WRWC being postponed a year). The new competition will feature 16 teams spread across three divisions. With the top 2 divisions featuring 6 teams and the third only four. The top division will feature the top 3 teams from the Women's 6Ns and the top three from a cross regional tournament between Australia, New Zealand, the USA and Canada. There will be no relegation in its first cycle (2023 & 2024). Tournaments will be held in centralised locations determined on a year by year basis.

The 4th placed team will fall into the 2nd division which will feature the bottom 2 from the 6Ns plus the best from Asia, Africa and Oceania. Which is kind of confusing. And suggests the bottom 6Ns squad will be sent to the 3rd division to face Spain, Asia 2 and the winner of an regional playoff.

A couple of thoughts. First. A more ratified calendar for the women's game is great. From a Wallaroos perspective it looks like they're going to have their own version of the Pacific Nations Cup and this competition taking the number of games to around 9 a year. So that's an improvement.

But, why only 16 teams? Would three divisions of 6 work just as well. Also the spread of teams seems a little off. I mean the top division is likely to be fine. But it could argued that the likes of Spain in the 3rd division are far to overpowered to be there. Anyway. I think this is an interesting development. Especially with articles on the last year suggesting that WR (World Rugby) hasn't given up on their Nations Championship concept. I can see something very similar but hopefully more expansive being proposed on the men's side in the future.

Anyway, here's the link. https://www.world.rugby/news/624265...FWBVwZdjPMw4ShdJ0neT7davJSbLt1SXfAFGZVttix29I

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Folau type? Like freak value? He’s good but I haven’t seen that yet.
No, like freakish skills and the ability to beat a man one on one. Vunivalu also looks to be a bit quicker than Folau.
I’m not seriously suggesting he walk into the Wallabies at fullback but I would not be at all surprised to see him flourish in that position.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
No, like freakish skills and the ability to beat a man one on one. Vunivalu also looks to be a bit quicker than Folau.
I’m not seriously suggesting he walk into the Wallabies at fullback but I would not be at all surprised to see him flourish in that position.

I am on your side with this. Folau had big weaknesses in his game, like his kicking ability - not to mention his virtual inability to pass the ball. Vunivalu has a bit to learn, but if he knows how to kick, and pass, he would have a big chance of becoming better than the Fool.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
With everyone fit, we've got a talent surplus in the backline.

I am really digging Hunter Paisami's work this season. He was outstanding at 12 against the Brumbies, and just seems to be getting better every week. Bruising defender, good hands, hard straight runner, and the skill to execute that 79th minute grubber.

Will be hard to leave him out of the Wallaby line-up, though I think JOC (James O'Connor)-To'omua is a stronger 10-12 axis. So you push Hunter to 13, and Jordy to wing?

That's why the Petaia at fullback experiment has some appeal. I'm not sure of his high-ball skills, but he's certainly got ability in the broken field. It would be worth a look.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
With everyone fit, we've got a talent surplus in the backline.

I am really digging Hunter Paisami's work this season. He was outstanding at 12 against the Brumbies, and just seems to be getting better every week. Bruising defender, good hands, hard straight runner, and the skill to execute that 79th minute grubber.

Will be hard to leave him out of the Wallaby line-up, though I think JOC (James O'Connor)-To'omua is a stronger 10-12 axis. So you push Hunter to 13, and Jordy to wing?

That's why the Petaia at fullback experiment has some appeal. I'm not sure of his high-ball skills, but he's certainly got ability in the broken field. It would be worth a look.

It's only appealing because it's our weakest position and we have a penchant for shoe-horning talent in out of position. IMO I would have Jock ahead of him at 15 for both teams.

It's a long season and there's plenty of time for Petaia to find his hands and jump ahead of other players in the queue. At the moment i have both Paisami and Ikitau ahead of Petaia for 13.