• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
I've been wondering for a few weeks now if the answer the the 10/12/15 problems (which to me seem to be the most wide open spots besides maybe hooker) might be something like

10 Lolosio
12 To'omua/Paisami/Simone
15 O'Connor

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's weird to toss out a bloke as experienced as To'omua based on one average game against the Force in April.

Not so weird Barbs when you consider he has been somewhat below par nearly all season. I reckon he'd still be an option at 12, but wouldn't have him in front of Paisami in any event.

As a 10, he is falling way behind other options. JOC (James O'Connor) playing much better and both Lolesio and Harrison, maybe even a couple more, are the future and will be some of the mainstays by RWC 2023. Time for Matty to give the main playmaking role to others.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
It's about how much he can actually create. Kicking goals is one thing, but as a playmaker you need to actually create opportunities, and Pone Faumasilli has created more than To'omua all year.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Simone's hard ceiling is Super Rugby without question IMO. I'd have Stewart, Paisami, To'omua all in the Wallaby team in front of him. Nothing personal, but the bloke has had a few highlights but doesn't bring anything to the table that would have him in front of the other 3 mentioned. Anyway, we shall see what Rennie thinks soon enough.

Rennie seems to think he's worth selecting in the squad, two seasons in a row, and he's been a stalwart of the Brumbies backline.

He's big, fast, has a great pass of both hands, kicks very well and rarely misses a tackle. He took a few seasons to get up to speed at Super Rugby level but now looks utterly at home there.

Calling that a hard ceiling, with 2-3 tests under his name, is a bit premature I reckon.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Rennie seems to think he's worth selecting in the squad, two seasons in a row, and he's been a stalwart of the Brumbies backline.

He's big, fast, has a great pass of both hands, kicks very well and rarely misses a tackle. He took a few seasons to get up to speed at Super Rugby level but now looks utterly at home there.

Calling that a hard ceiling, with 2-3 tests under his name, is a bit premature I reckon.

From what I have seen of Simone I don't think he is that impressive but I am only prepared to judge him from what I've seen him do rather then what his teams fans think he could be.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
TBF, he seems to me like one of those blokes that is the glue in the side. Doesn't do too much that makes the highlight reels, but what he does allows everyone else around him to shine.

For me, i rate that. He legit struggled for a year or two to feel confident at Super Rugby level, but was given the faith off the back of utter dominance of club rugby with Norths (?), and then his dominance of NRC, and now he looks very comfortable at Super Rugby. Based on that progression, i'd be willing to give him a few cracks at test level, as Rennie has done so far.

Jury is out, but his trajectory seems to be continually upwards.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
TBF, he seems to me like one of those blokes that is the glue in the side. Doesn't do too much that makes the highlight reels, but what he does allows everyone else around him to shine.

For me, i rate that. He legit struggled for a year or two to feel confident at Super Rugby level, but was given the faith off the back of utter dominance of club rugby with Norths (?), and then his dominance of NRC, and now he looks very comfortable at Super Rugby. Based on that progression, i'd be willing to give him a few cracks at test level, as Rennie has done so far.

Jury is out, but his trajectory seems to be continually upwards.

Sounds great for a Super player but at Wallabies surely we can aim higher.

Frenchy

Bob McCowan (2)
I've been wondering for a few weeks now if the answer the the 10/12/15 problems (which to me seem to be the most wide open spots besides maybe hooker) might be something like

10 Lolosio
12 To'omua/Paisami/Simone
15 O'Connor

The 10/12/15 problem is easily solved.

Who's the in-form 10? It's JOC (James O'Connor). He's 2-0 vs Lolesio, 2-0 vs To'omua, and in both cases, beyond the scoreboard, he was more influential than his counterpart, producing some great plays ball in hands and off his boot.

Who's the in-form 12? Who else but Paisami. Only reason to not give him a go at 12 is if you want him at 13. An alternative I wish they would explore is Stewart, who keeps on impressing. And he partners really well with JOC (James O'Connor) at 10.

Who's the in-form 15? harder to answer this one. Imo, the wallabies have a fullback problem more than a 10/12/15 problem, if anything. Maybe Banks over Hodge, to keep Hodge on the bench as the ultimate utility player (and late game 55 meters penalty kick taker). JOC (James O'Connor) could do fine there admittedly, but why remove him from a position he's doing really well at?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Banks and Hodge are the obvious choices. Both relatively safe but Banks has shown nothing special at test level, in fact he has been ineffective in attack.
We have a boat load of excellent wing options, a couple of which would make very exciting fullbacks. Wright and Petaia both have all the skills.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Banks and Hodge are the obvious choices. Both relatively safe but Banks has shown nothing special at test level, in fact he has been ineffective in attack.
We have a boat load of excellent wing options, a couple of which would make very exciting fullbacks. Wright and Petaia both have all the skills.

Banks ran 172m last night. An amazing feat. We should probably keep him in mind. Though I do like Hodge at 15.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Banks ran 172m last night. An amazing feat. We should probably keep him in mind. Though I do like Hodge at 15.
Yes, he’s amazing at Super Rugby level but he has been unable to duplicate that in tests. Half of those metres were in that intercept BTW. He played well last night.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There is no way Hodge is better then Banks it might be Hodge's best position but he is not better then Banks.

Not so sure. Hodge is a proven performer at international level. Banks has all of that in front of him. Banks definitely had a blinder last night so he is doing all the right things to make that international claim.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think Banks looks like he carries a little more danger for the opposition, though I concede he does not have the Test record that Hodge does obviously. Hodge wins in the utility column, though. Purely as 15, I think Banks might have more upside.

Reactions: dru

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There is no way Hodge is better then Banks it might be Hodge's best position but he is not better then Banks.

IMHO neither is really the answer. Personally I hope that Rennie takes a bit of a risk. Maybe Wright or Petaia, although my smokie would be Vunivalu. He can jump, he is quick. Can he kick? Folau couldn't.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
IMHO neither is really the answer. Personally I hope that Rennie takes a bit of a risk. Maybe Wright or Petaia, although my smokie would be Vunivalu. He can jump, he is quick. Can he kick? Folau couldn't.
Low numbers in the data set to really answer. He's kicked a few times with reasonable distance, but as you know, at 15, you want someone who kicks judiciously. I can't see Rennie going down a path like we had with Folau where "compromises" had to made to choose wingers with him. At the time I thought it was acceptable, as Folau's attacking threats were so great. I'd be surprised if Rennie goes with a speculator pick at 15.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Low numbers in the data set to really answer. He's kicked a few times with reasonable distance, but as you know, at 15, you want someone who kicks judiciously. I can't see Rennie going down a path like we had with Folau where "compromises" had to made to choose wingers with him. At the time I thought it was acceptable, as Folau's attacking threats were so great. I'd be surprised if Rennie goes with a speculator pick at 15.
Someone that's great under the high ball with good kick returns should be enough we will have game breakers on the wings.

Specially as Marika is the first name picked in the back 3 and we build around that.