• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Do we want Izzy 2.0? A player with a slightly more rounded skillset at fullback would be nice.

It would be nice to find, one of his key strengths for the team was consistently getting through that first tackle on providing forward momentum on kick return

I don't think he can do that as he isn't great in contact - at the moment

Banks is the best we have, our most complete and talented 15, is playing behind a pile of turds and building character (hopefully)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It would be nice to find, one of his key strengths for the team was consistently getting through that first tackle on providing forward momentum on kick return

Banks is the best we have, our most complete and talented 15, is playing behind a pile of turds and building character (hopefully)

There's some great things in Banks game we overlook because his not a tackle busting machine (at test level). His kick to corners.. awesome.. His high ball takes are good.. His kicks in play are good. If he can finally break the line at test level like he does at super he be hard to pass up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The concept of an "X" factor off the bench has always baffled me, it is almost an admission that the starting team is expected to be behind at the end of a game and that the game plan is not good enough to win unless you stop following it.

I would rather plan to be ahead and have replacements that can hold their own without being unconventional or relying on a single act of brilliance to win a game. This is why I would prefer a player like Hodge, Jock Campbell or Hamish Stewart off the bench than Petaia.

I don't think that's the focus at all. For backs in particular, outside of halfback, you're replacing players either due to injury or form. In general no back is going to be told to go hard for 50-60 minutes before they get replaced like a forward would.

It's about having at least one back on the bench that can make an impact and potentially change a game. You are going to be behind in plenty of games. Outside of a very few teams, that's the nature of sport.

Players don't produce the same quality game every single time. You want the option to bring someone on when things aren't going fully to plan to replace someone who isn't playing that well and hopefully spark an improved performance. If your plan was to be ahead and your reserves are just to defend a lead, what's the option when they're not? The "x-factor" player should also just be able to do a job or doesn't need to be used at all if not required.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I guess in critical games you want your big players to stand up - not to be the one putting your team under the most pressure.

Is a random Friday night game against the Force a 'critical game' though?

He's been fine enough this season, he's experienced, he's a leader, stepped up in his brief Wallaby appearance last year.

I'm giving him plenty more time to find form (which was pretty good early days this season).

At worst he's on the bench, but he's still my starting 12 at the moment.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There's some great things in Banks game we overlook because his not a tackle busting machine (at test level). His kick to corners.. awesome.. His high ball takes are good.. His kicks in play are good. If he can finally break the line at test level like he does at super he be hard to pass up.

Yep, great pace, good kick, playing well - he is the best we have

His likely selection makes the back 3 selection interesting, with Izzy we needed that good kicker to add balance, with Banks that is less important and line break ability may be more useful

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yep, great pace, good kick, playing well - he is the best we have

His likely selection makes the back 3 selection interesting, with Izzy we needed that good kicker to add balance, with Banks that is less important and line break ability may be more useful

Well MK is a given, I think. So it seems like it's a straight shoot between Petaia and Wright for 14. Hard to go wrong with either.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The reality for players like To'omua and Hodge is that a bad game or two in Super Rugby isn't going to ruin their chances of getting selected for the Wallabies.

Their past performances in gold are the biggest guide and it's hard to see them not selected again this year (although Hodge with his injury might not slip straight back in).

I can see the temptation or trying to give someone like Wright or Petaia a crack at fullback because currently it is a bit of a position of weakness where all of a sudden we have more good wingers than we can select.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

Petaia usually does break the first tackle and/or get over the gain line. He can kick and kick well plus has a much better awareness of the players around him than most and can offload. Admittedly he needs to refine this area of his game, and others. His air game is developing and its pretty good. He might match Folau in that area one day. He is definitely much better than Banks in contact. The guy is a once in a lifetime type talent unlike anyone else in Australian rugby ATM.
I’m sure Banks will get a chance this year, probably first up. However, it’s fair to say that he has not taken advantage of his test opportunities so far. Until he does the long term fullback spot is open to a few.
As mentioned, Rennie picked Paisami at 12 untested so there its easy to see him doing similar at fullback with Petaia, Wright or maybe even Vunivalu down the track. We have the makings of a very competitive side in the next RWC. Hopefully there will be no place across the 23 for anyone who does not demand their spot.

Which pile of turds is Banks playing behind?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I agree.

There is also Daugunu but his stocks seem to have plummeted.
Daugunu seems to have progressed this year - he has shown he can kick servicably & discipline in defence has been good. Can’t really recall him getting tested much under the high ball but the kicks that have come his way he has dealt with as far as I can think of.

The ‘issue’ is that Wright is the incumbent and, not only has he not put a foot wrong, he has been excellent and has a very well rounded game.

The other thing that I guess is an issue is that he is currently on the bench for the Reds. I expect that’ll be temporary, but that’s not guaranteed.

I guess the essence of your post is right - I don’t think he’ll have jumped up in the pecking order, but I’d be surprised if Rennie was unhappy with his progress.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I like the 11. Koroibete 14. Petaia 15. Wright combination but I wouldn't be picking another winger in 23. I'd go with Hodge.

Reactions: dru

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Petaia usually does break the first tackle and/or get over the gain line. He can kick and kick well plus has a much better awareness of the players around him than most and can offload. Admittedly he needs to refine this area of his game, and others. His air game is developing and its pretty good. He might match Folau in that area one day. He is definitely much better than Banks in contact. The guy is a once in a lifetime type talent unlike anyone else in Australian rugby ATM.
I’m sure Banks will get a chance this year, probably first up. However, it’s fair to say that he has not taken advantage of his test opportunities so far. Until he does the long term fullback spot is open to a few.
As mentioned, Rennie picked Paisami at 12 untested so there its easy to see him doing similar at fullback with Petaia, Wright or maybe even Vunivalu down the track. We have the makings of a very competitive side in the next RWC. Hopefully there will be no place across the 23 for anyone who does not demand their spot.

Which pile of turds is Banks playing behind?

We get to disagree here too often his offload is a last chance one handed hail mary, Petaia is immensely talented and quite flawed IMHO

Banks was solid at 15 for the Wobs last season and deserves more opportunity.

Paisami was playing in the centres last season, doing well and deserved his call up.

I think that is quite different from throwing a unit into test rugby in a position he doesn't play their regularly

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Maybe. Outside to inside centre is not unlike wing to fullback.
Banks(or Hodge before his injury) rightly should get first crack at it but I can easily see one of Wright or Petaia taking the opportunity if and when it comes. I hope to see Banks do the same.

We need penetration from our fullback along with solid positional play and clearing ability.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Maybe. Outside to inside centre is not unlike wing to fullback.
Banks(or Hodge before his injury) rightly should get first crack at it but I can easily see one of Wright or Petaia taking the opportunity if and when it comes. I hope to see Banks do the same.

We need penetration from our fullback along with solid positional play and clearing ability.
But if we have two strike wingers, Paisami at 12 or 13 and possibly even Petaia/Ikitau in the centres, do we?

I think we will have penetration all over the field. The first criteria for my fullback will be a reasonably good ability to kick and diffuse a high ball.