• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Agree with that.

But no I don't necessarily agree that To'omua will play at 12 Gold, it is entirely with Rennie. Right now JOC (James O'Connor) is providing the cool head that is needed. Paisami is proving a must select, and I expect 12 possibly suits him better. His in-game kicking is building, though not with To'omua at this stage. Likewise his ball-handling is building, possibly getting close to overtaking To'omua. His D matches To'omua, and his attack game is better. It is not at all clear to me that To'omua pips him to 12. But maybe. Certainly To'omua is test proven which is a huge leg up.

It is going to be interesting to see how things come together but I don't think that the coaching team will be approaching [Edit, bloody spell check] deletions selections with To'omua as a must at 12. Likely at 12 possibly. Not must.

I probably wasn't clear enough with my last paragraph - I was trying to say that if he is selected for the wallabies it will be at 12 not 10. Unless both JOC (James O'Connor) and Lolesio are injured.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I reckon his kicking in general play this year has gone to shit. If that's the best justification for selecting him, then it's time to move on.

You beat me to it, although I'll add that his general play kicking has always been crap, inevitably it's down the throat of one of the back 3 and we end up 50 metres back from where he kicked it. On his day he's a great 12, but it aint for his kicking.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
To'omua has definitely shanked a few kicks this season, as have all the kickers for any Oz team mind you. I think it is pertient to point out when certain aspects of a player's game are due to coaching/gameplan. I would throw To'omua's general play kicking tactics into that pile as well personally.

I think we will see a very different player at 12 in Test matches if he is selected.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
To'omua has definitely shanked a few kicks this season, as have all the kickers for any Oz team mind you. I think it is pertient to point out when certain aspects of a player's game are due to coaching/gameplan. I would throw To'omua's general play kicking tactics into that pile as well personally.

I think we will see a very different player at 12 in Test matches if he is selected.

I definitely agree with you that a lot of To'omua average form this year can be attributed to the way he’s been asked to play. IMO the Rebels have been the most negative all season in the way that they have played.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Casually doubling his salary. Pretty grim how hard it's getting to keep hold of players.

Edit: hes 26 too, peak of his career.

Isi's form dropped off a cliff once he got his Wallabies cap. Haven't seen him play anywhere near as well as he did when he was at the Brumbies.

Any money RA was giving to Isi should now be funneled Uru's way.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Isi's form dropped off a cliff once he got his Wallabies cap. Haven't seen him play anywhere near as well as he did when he was at the Brumbies.

Any money RA was giving to Isi should now be funneled Uru's way.

Isi seen the light that on wallaby's fringe at best....never quite hit the potential we thought he might hit - injuries partly to blame but also feel turned out was not quite the 8 looking for with wallabies. Seems Rennie agreed.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I can remember eagerly waiting for Isi to become Wallaby eligible. I think that since then he has either been injured or carrying an injury and we never got to see the best of him in Wallaby colours.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I can remember eagerly waiting for Isi to become Wallaby eligible. I think that since then he has either been injured or carrying an injury and we never got to see the best of him in Wallaby colours.

He should have played last season, was left out then added in. Played better than anyone in the 2 ARG warm up games then put in for surgery when Rennie decided that he wanted to go with Samu/Wilson.

Ah well all seems for nothing now. Best of luck to him but we just cant afford him, have to pick & choose who we keep.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I feel like Isi is probably the best backrower we've lost overseas in a long time excluding Fardy & McMahon, we're going to be reading about him winning entire tournaments for years to come. He'll get best player of the season etc just like Fardy and we'll always shrug and say "he was good, but never great".

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Casually doubling his salary. Pretty grim how hard it's getting to keep hold of players.

Edit: hes 26 too, peak of his career.
Reckon the fuck around with Rennie last year didn’t help keep him here. Best ball running backrower we have pissed away because he was under done coming back from injury and Rennie wanted to make some point about picking players based on workrate. Straight joke.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Naisarani has always struck me as the kind of person who will chase the best opportunity for himself, so I'm not surprised that he's leaving the moment a huge cash offer came his way, and although it sucks I'm not sure if there really was anything that could've been done to prevent him leaving...........

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Naisarani has always struck me as the kind of person who will chase the best opportunity for himself, so I'm not surprised that he's leaving the moment a huge cash offer came his way, and although it sucks I'm not sure if there really was anything that could've been done to prevent him leaving.....

What many people on here tend forget is that Naisarani and other PI players come from a background of living in small island villages many of which are lucky to have electricity let alone the many luxuries we take for granted. A fair chunk of their income goes straight back to their families and pretty much feeds, clothes, houses and educates many in their extended families. Most PI guys I know here in average jobs even now send cash home to help out. We shouldn't be judging these guys too harshly for chasing the cash... most of them aren't using it to buy cocaine etc like a few of our recent players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In a world of limited top up contracts, would you be offering Naisarani big money for next year?

Given Rennie has him down the pecking order it doesn't really make sense in my opinion to prioritise him ahead of Wilson for the number 8 role. Realistically that should be the only priority number 8 contract at the moment.

Uru may get the next one but he needs to gain Wallaby selection and show he deserves to be there first. I don't think you can focus too strongly on retaining players who haven't even played for the Wallabies yet. His star is rising and he will also know that his earning potential will increase greatly both here and abroad after he plays a few tests.

Naisarani is the classic player that we lose. Good enough to play test rugby with a number of tests under his belt but just outside the Wallaby top up contracts currently. That drops his earning potential in Australia massively but overseas he can earn top dollar because he is test quality.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Kaitu’u continues to edge out as the clear favourite for starting hooker IMO
Kaitu’u and Uelese if fit. Both young and on the improve. Uelese has looked better the last two games than previously and his set piece is spot on.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
What many people on here tend forget is that Naisarani and other PI players come from a background of living in small island villages many of which are lucky to have electricity let alone the many luxuries we take for granted. A fair chunk of their income goes straight back to their families and pretty much feeds, clothes, houses and educates many in their extended families. Most PI guys I know here in average jobs even now send cash home to help out.

I think there's a discussion to be had about bringing in PI guys, naturalising them over a number of years, then being shocked when they go offshore when offered more money.

Every circumstance is different and as you say JJ you can't begrudge the decisions they make when they have to support a large family.