• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Naisaranis major incentive to remain in Australia is test rugby, yet Rennie didn't select him last year so he might as well take up a contract which is twice as much overseas. He is competing with guys like Valetini and Wilson and they're both ahead of him, so RA cant really justify offering him big top ups.

I'd like to see him, but i think the reality is that RA needs to prioritise retention of the starting XV with top-ups and then the leftovers to the bench/backup players.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Naisaranis major incentive to remain in Australia is test rugby, yet Rennie didn't select him last year so he might as well take up a contract which is twice as much overseas. He is competing with guys like Valetini and Wilson and they're both ahead of him, so RA cant really justify offering him big top ups.

I'd like to see him, but i think the reality is that RA needs to prioritise retention of the starting XV with top-ups and then the leftovers to the bench/backup players.

Isi looked like a different player last night. It will be tragic to lose him, IMHO. At his best I reckon he is still our best #8.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Which forwards do we have that offload well in contact? Watching Skelton & Arnold x 2 do it effortlessly in contact made me realise I don't see it that often in Hosea (and don't think Philip?). Do Neville/Swain/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) do it? I feel like you need genuinely freakishly long levers that only Skelton/Arnold possess. It's such an easy way to create a linebreak that leads to a bucket load of tries.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Which forwards do we have that offload well in contact? Watching Skelton & Arnold x 2 do it effortlessly in contact made me realise I don't see it that often in Hosea (and don't think Philip?). Do Neville/Swain/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) do it? I feel like you need genuinely freakishly long levers that only Skelton/Arnold possess. It's such an easy way to create a linebreak that leads to a bucket load of tries.
Wilson but it seems like he was told to take them out of his game.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think Wilson has reigned it in a bit - which is not a bad thing as he was turning too much ball over before that, but he still has a good offload/short pass. He produced a good offload Friday night and a nice little tip pass v the Brumbies which allowed a break to be continued.

Salakai-Loto has a decent offload, but he is playing tighter this year so we are seeing less of it. Tupou also has good hands and has produced some nice touches in attack. Neville produced a couple of nice passes against the Rebels last week and Angus Bell has an offload in him. I’m not sure Anstee will make the final cut for a Wallabies spot, but he has a good passing game - not sure about offloading in contact though.

I can’t specifically remember too many offloads from Valetini, but given he’s strength in contact I’d be surprised if he doesn’t have a few to his name.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Isi looked like a different player last night. It will be tragic to lose him, IMHO. At his best I reckon he is still our best #8.

100%, Wells try was on the back of his hands off the back of the scrum. Lomani can go 80 on his Isi drawing players & opening gaps then in 1 brain fade ends his career in australia. As much as Wells has been great this year he is not creating that try to Kemeny when he is playing 8

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
His game is limited, a bit up the middle with no finesse. His hands are not great and he tends to turn over a lot of ball. Hes a good eight man but far from our best. This and the last Wallaby coach seem to agree.
Wilson looks an excellent prospect and has proven himself in test rugby already. Will Harris also looks good and of course there is Samu. Uru is another that could be a great 6/8 option. Wells has also had a very good season for the Rebels at 8.