• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
A good article. In particular some interesting analysis on the strengths and weaknesses of Tom Wright.

Well worth a read, and goes to show the level of detail that goes into top level analysis that mug punters like me don’t see (but which ultimately can explain a lot about some of those mystifying selection decisions).

Just for clarity Tom Wright remains my pick for one of the wing spots for the Wallabies (and I don’t think there is any tone in the article to suggest otherwise) but I can appreciate how at international level this sort of individual scrutiny would come into play.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/05/05/why-a-moral-victory-was-not-enough-at-gio-stadium/

Reactions: dru

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A good article. In particular some interesting analysis on the strengths and weaknesses of Tom Wright.

Well worth a read, and goes to show the level of detail that goes into top level analysis that mug punters like me don’t see (but which ultimately can explain a lot about some of those mystifying selection decisions).

Just for clarity Tom Wright remains my pick for one of the wing spots for the Wallabies (and I don’t think there is any tone in the article to suggest otherwise) but I can appreciate how at international level this sort of individual scrutiny would come into play.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/05/05/why-a-moral-victory-was-not-enough-at-gio-stadium/

"Tom Wright is in a similar position to Marika Koroibete when he first transferred from rugby league. "

I am amused with those supposedly inflicted with NRL disease, Wright is a Joeys boy who played a couple of years in the NRL

He didn't grow up in Penrith, playing SG ball & Flegg

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
"Tom Wright is in a similar position to Marika Koroibete when he first transferred from rugby league. "

I am amused with those supposedly inflicted with NRL disease, Wright is a Joeys boy who played a couple of years in the NRL

He didn't grow up in Penrith, playing SG ball & Flegg

that’s not what I took from that comment, he was just using Marika as a benchmark.
Players who have an elite attacking game but defensive frailties, it’s not an infliction, just pointing out that the NRL system has refined their attacking ability and they now need to sort their defence.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
that’s not what I took from that comment, he was just using Marika as a benchmark.
Players who have an elite attacking game but defensive frailties, it’s not an infliction, just pointing out that the NRL system has refined their attacking ability and they now need to sort their defence.

Whereas he is just another show pony back that will squeal if they get caught

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Wow, very surprising a winger missed a couple of cleanouts. Agree with FP, Bishop missed the mark with the League vs Union comparison given Wright didn’t grow up playing League. He would have been better to point out he simply had work to do defensively. Funnily enough this was a criticism of him coming through juniors and why he didn’t make Aus Schoolboys.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Hooker is a fascinating selection decision. Kaitu'u is a good player but does he scream test calibre? Not sure. But you could say that about every option I think.

If I'm picking a team tomorrow I'd probably pick BPA as he's the incumbent, he stepped up last year and his form now is fairly decent. But he's going offshore so there's plenty of reasons to ignore him, too.

There's no right answer here I think. There's a possibility Rennie goes left field with someone like Porecki, Lonergan or Chibba Hanson.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Hooker is a fascinating selection decision. Kaitu'u is a good player but does he scream test calibre? Not sure. But you could say that about every option I think.

If I'm picking a team tomorrow I'd probably pick BPA as he's the incumbent, he stepped up last year and his form now is fairly decent. But he's going offshore so there's plenty of reasons to ignore him, too.

There's no right answer here I think. There's a possibility Rennie goes left field with someone like Porecki, Lonergan or Chibba Hanson.

I honestly dont understand the hype around Porecki

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pleasing to see these 5 Force Academy players get selected for the 2nd Jnr Wallabies Camp.

181553835_4004380409600678_2808428453606005461_n.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Neither do I. I don't think he's that good. I wouldn't pick him. But given he's made a squad there's clearly something Rennie sees in him that I do not.

He was specifically recruited to come back so they are going through the motions before working out he's not as good as they hoped he was?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Neither do I. I don't think he's that good. I wouldn't pick him. But given he's made a squad there's clearly something Rennie sees in him that I do not.

Bit of Trivia, Porecki played with the scrum coach at Saracens (1 season, 4 appearances) (injury cover)

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
He was specifically recruited to come back so they are going through the motions before working out he's not as good as they hoped he was?

I don't believe he was specifically recruited at Wallabies level but Scott Johnson certainly showed him there was an opportunity both at the tahs and the Wallabies if he was good enough.

I really like that Johnson is out there talking to players overseas.