• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Steak n Weights

Frank Nicholson (4)
After watching this year, I think its pretty clear who are going to be the 1st and 2nd choice for most positions are going to be.

LHP : Angus Bell > James Slipper > Tom Roberston
THP : Taniela Tupou> AAA > HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
Locks: LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) > Neville >Timani
6: Valentini
8: Wilson
10: Jame O'connor > Noah Lolesio
12: Hunter paisami > Irae Simone > Matt To'omua
13: Isaia Perese > Hunter Paisami
Wing: Suliasi Vunivalu > Tom Wright > Marika Koroibete

IMO Angus and Taniela are head and shoulders above everyone in their position because they both offer a true attacking threat naturally creating more space for the rest of the team. The days are gone when props were just the fatties who just held up the scrum.

Locks is a weird position, seems like we have a lot of depth but majority of them are playing overseas lol. Thinking Coleman, Arnold, Skelton, Phillips. Would be happy with a LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Rodda combo though. Hosea and Swain need to bulk up before I'd consider them for selection.

Not too sure who would slot in if Valetini or Wilson are unavaliable, maybe Lee-Warner? Is Anstee or Kemeny any good, would they hold their own at test level?

Paisami is a beast.

Perese is a beast, similar to our props, daylight ahead of 2nd best.

Vunivalu is a genetic freak, a koribete but with aerial skills, will only get better with more games.

Only concern for me is the hooker and fullback position. With BPA departure, there really isn't a test level player running around in Australia. Feleti kaitu'u would probably be my front runner for the 2 jersey.

Tom Banks has been the incumbent FB since DHP's injury. I just don't think he's done enough with the opportunities he's been given. Would rather invest resources in a back 3 of vunivalu, wright and petaia, with either the latter 2 at 15.

If we assume hooper is going to be an 80 minute player, the reserve loosie would be a 6/8 cover. Dark horse for me would be Seru Uru.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Sio just isn’t the same player he was, unfortunately.

To be honest I think Ala'alatoa is struggling at scrum time a bit too. I think some of that probably comes down to how the Brumbies pack as a whole is going, so happy to give him the benefit of doubt, but I don’t think he’s scrummaged as well as he used to for two years.

I’d certainly have Tom Robertson in front of Sio at the moment.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ned Hanigan has to be a chance as the reserve backrower. Rennie showed he was a fan last year and Hanigan played well.

It would be interesting to know whether Hooper and Hanigan are training with the Waratahs or just training by themselves.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Don’t agree he was was good against the highlanders and put in some big hits in defence.
He has always been top shelf but was just ignored in favour of other more prominent players. Has a great footy brain and the skills to back it up. Love to see him in the squad.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
A squad speculation (beefed up in numbers due to the compressed schedule, mostly on form and partly on credit in the bank, profile of player and squad mix);
LH - Slipper, Sio, Bell, Robertson
TH- Tupou, AAAA, Pone
Hooker - BPA, Kaitu'u, Fainga'a
2nd row - LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Neville, Phillip, Hosea, Timani (experience) or Frost (potential)
Back row - Wilson, Valentini, Hooper, McReight, Wright, Swinton
9 - White, McDermott, Gordon
10 - JOC (James O'Connor), Lolesio
Centres - Paisami, To'omua, Petaia, Perese
Wing - Koroibete, Daugunu, Vunivalu, Wright
Fullback - Banks, Maddocks

Notable omissions;
- An extra THP (Slipper can cover in worst case. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) has come nowhere close this year despite toiling honestly in a shit team)
- Rodda, last performances in gold too long ago to be taken into account. No idea of his form.
- Other hookers. No one deserves it
- Ikitau; is basically in a shootout with Perese who's form is better currently. Could easily change.

Controversial picks
- Timani vs Frost; Timani could be useful off the bench in the 2nd Test that's midweek as cover but I can see the argument that Frost has test potential and would be a nice way to introduce him
- Swinton; Needed another player that covers 6 and 8, has stepped up to that level last year and if nothing else would bring the noise at training. I hate picking players who haven't gathered a good recent body of work, so if someone insisted that Wells or even Uru get picked ahead of him I wouldn't be upset.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was shocked to learn Tom Robertson is 107kg. That's at least 10 kg lighter than all his 'competitors' for the spot (and probaly about 15kg lighter than likely opponents). I don't think we can consider him at test footy at that weight.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
- Swinton; Needed another player that covers 6 and 8, has stepped up to that level last year and if nothing else would bring the noise at training. I hate picking players who haven't gathered a good recent body of work, so if someone insisted that Wells or even Uru get picked ahead of him I wouldn't be upset.

Swinton has looked better against kiwi opposition than he ever did against Australian opponents. He's been decent recently.

I think Hanigan will be around too. And those 7 backrowers are likely to be in and around the squad until the RWC. Which is good from a Ben Darwin perspective.

Drop Sio and that's a tight looking squad.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think we will see Gordon on the bench. He’s been sensational in a shit team. Form has been career best, I also think his best currently is better than what White and McDermott can offer.

White tactically will be selected because he plays the perfect game for test footy and his kicking is exceptional.

I agree with Sio, he’s going to have to put in 2 good performances in the last 2 weeks to get a look it. Bell and Slipper will be the obvious options on talent and form. Sio will prob make the squad purely because of the short turnaround in test, will mean huge changes for the second test, almost a completely different team

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

With the quick turnaround, I would guess we will run two full sides

As such, I think we will need an obvious 8, someone who will be around next year and has potential, I like the look of Seru Uru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
A squad speculation (beefed up in numbers due to the compressed schedule, mostly on form and partly on credit in the bank, profile of player and squad mix);
LH - Slipper, Sio, Bell, Robertson
TH- Tupou, AAAA, Pone
Hooker - BPA, Kaitu'u, Fainga'a
2nd row - LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Neville, Phillip, Hosea, Timani (experience) or Frost (potential)
9 - White, McDermott, Gordon
10 - JOC (James O'Connor), Lolesio
Centres - Paisami, To'omua, Petaia, Perese
Wing - Koroibete, Daugunu, Vunivalu, Wright
Fullback - Banks, Maddocks

Notable omissions;
- An extra THP (Slipper can cover in worst case. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) has come nowhere close this year despite toiling honestly in a shit team)
- Rodda, last performances in gold too long ago to be taken into account. No idea of his form.
- Other hookers. No one deserves it
- Ikitau; is basically in a shootout with Perese who's form is better currently. Could easily change.

Controversial picks
- Timani vs Frost; Timani could be useful off the bench in the 2nd Test that's midweek as cover but I can see the argument that Frost has test potential and would be a nice way to introduce him
I’d have Swain in front of Frost. Frost is a good prospect but I think Swain is further advanced. If Frost keeps improving, his time will come.

Whilst Rodda’s departure from the Reds might have put a few people off him before he left he was our best performed test lock for the previous 2 yrs. From reading Rennie’s comments I don’t think he is going to hold the circumstances of his departure against him. I’d expect him in the mix and probably starting at least one of the tests.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I’d have Swain in front of Frost. Frost is a good prospect but I think Swain is further advanced. If Frost keeps improving, his time will come.

Whilst Rodda’s departure from the Reds might have put a few people off him before he left he was our best performed test lock for the previous 2 yrs. From reading Rennie’s comments I don’t think he is going to hold the circumstances of his departure against him. I’d expect him in the mix and probably starting at least one of the tests.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other about Rodda's possible selection. However, I would expect the coach to consider the possibility that selecting him might have an impact on the cohesion of the team. It does look to the outsider that he is having his cake and eating it too.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe - and it’s a fair point.

But I doubt many of the players are really going to hold onto much animosity about it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

But I doubt many of the players are really going to hold onto much animosity about it.

The ones who stayed at home and took a pretty significant haircut might disagree. Anyway, this is all up to the coach to manage, that's what he gets paid for.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

Comparing apples with apples might not favour Rodda.

How’s his form been ? And against who?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

End of the day Rodda exercised a clause in his contract that enabled him to leave the reds due to moreso issues he had with reds. While people might not like it he did something he thought was in his best interests at the time and legally had the right to do as do any other players would have the right to do. I doubt Rennie or players would hold a grudge or something against him as he has come back with desire to play super rugby and represent oz. Last time I checked we ain’t exactly spoilt for quality players and want to woo players back from overseas so I have no doubt most are glad to have him back. If the other 2 reds who left at that same time with Rodda want to come back they would be equally welcomed back at any time. Professional rugby is a competitive business with quality players in high demand so we can’t afford to be inflexible or dismissive of players wanting to return to the fold if they warrant consideration. I think it is time to move on and welcome back Rodda to oz rugby personally.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The ones who stayed at home and took a pretty significant haircut might disagree. Anyway, this is all up to the coach to manage, that's what he gets paid for.

He has also come back to oz rugby without an RA top up so can’t see him being ahead at this point and he could have stayed overseas earning way more but still come back.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t really know how all the other players feel about Rodda. But my experience has been that generally blokes will harbour a grudge, right up to the point where they all end up in a room or on a training paddock together. A couple of apologies/acknowledgements may or may not be exchanged and then they’ll put it behind them and get on with it.

Bearing in mind the Queenslanders will only form a portion of he squad anyway, even if there is some ill feeling that isn’t put aside I can’t see it being a prevailing attitude in the squad.