• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Out of interest, is his situation fundamentally any different to, say, Hooper?

Well I think Hooper did take a pay cut due to COVID, and then negotiated a sabbatical as a compromise with RA to allow him to recoup his lost income while still remaining contracted.

Whereas Rodda was faced with a pay cut, and chose to quit entirely and move offshore permanently.

So a similar set of circumstances but two very different ways of dealing with them.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I agree with an earlier post advocating for (Vunivalu, Wright, Petaia) Wallabies back-three.

Banks is a fine player but will never be a genuinely dangerous threat in the backline at international level.

He's a solid fill-in option for the time being, but the future has to be Wright at 15 with Vunivalu and Petaia on the wings, IMO.

I am still skeptical on Banks being the full deal at test level but his form this year means probably gets the starting gig but yes like to see alternative options at 15 to see how they fare. But I have to accept Banks deserve pole position at 15 as been best out of players playing 15

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well I think Hooper did take a pay cut due to COVID, and then negotiated a sabbatical as a compromise with RA to allow him to recoup his lost income while still remaining contracted.

Whereas Rodda was faced with a pay cut, and chose to quit entirely and move offshore permanently.

So a similar set of circumstances but two very different ways of dealing with them.

Plenty of spots I could have responded but this will do.

I have no issue with Hooper superior service to WBs over time.
The difference in circumstances is also unarguable - though my query was in the context of suggestions that Rennie would be interested in Rodda, in which case I'm not sure it is important.

The principal though, is neither Hooper or Rodda has been particularly visible, the standard of the comps they are in are arguably not SuperTT, and the currency of their viewed form is about the same, is it not?

Personally I wouldn't be putting Rodda forward, but I'm not convinced the currency of his visible form is the reason behind it.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I am still skeptical on Banks being the full deal at test level but his form this year means probably gets the starting gig but yes like to see alternative options at 15 to see how they fare. But I have to accept Banks deserve pole position at 15 as been best out of players playing 15

I liked his try against the Crusaders. Hadn't seen that done in a while.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rennie pretty consistently picked Banks last year (he played 5 of the 6 tests starting in four of them) so it's hard to see Rennie not continuing with that given Banks' form this year.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The principal though, is neither Hooper or Rodda has been particularly visible, the standard of the comps they are in are arguably not SuperTT, and the currency of their viewed form is about the same, is it not?

I think this French series might be a wake up call that we don't have the highest quality competition on our hands. The top French clubs would beat all Australian teams and 3/5 NZ teams I think. So, Rodda's overseas form (and Sketon's) is becoming more relevant.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Rennie pretty consistently picked Banks last year (he played 5 of the 6 tests starting in four of them) so it's hard to see Rennie not continuing with that given Banks' form this year.

I genuinely have a terrible memory and can't remember, how was he? I assume neither awful nor great.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

There's a whole year between the visible form though. Rodda last played in/for Australia at the 2019 RWC.

Hooper is in the same position as Matt Philip if you want a comparable situation in terms of what form is being looked at for the 2021 Wallabies. They played 2020 Super Rugby and Wallabies tests and then missed Super Rugby 2021.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I genuinely have a terrible memory and can't remember, how was he? I assume neither awful nor great.

He was just ok.

Fair to say that Rennie's impression of him probably went down as the season progressed. He missed the 3rd Bledisloe then was benched for the last test of the year against the Pumas.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think this French series might be a wake up call that we don't have the highest quality competition on our hands. The top French clubs would beat all Australian teams and 3/5 NZ teams I think. So, Rodda's overseas form (and Sketon's) is becoming more relevant.

Nah not for shit.

Us, yeah probably.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I understand your logic but I can't ignore his form in holding up solid Force scrum so not sure it is creating impact on the field being lighter (but by logic understand it should - must have very good technique perhaps).

I think he was being sarcastic.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

110% agree....he has definitely improved this year and would love to see him prove me wrong by showing at test level he is the real deal as goodness knows since Folau departed not had a convincing 15....

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There's a whole year between the visible form though. Rodda last played in/for Australia at the 2019 RWC.

Hooper is in the same position as Matt Philip if you want a comparable situation in terms of what form is being looked at for the 2021 Wallabies. They played 2020 Super Rugby and Wallabies tests and then missed Super Rugby 2021.

Which was actually the question I had been asking. Rodda's currency of form here does not map Hooper. Thanks.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Points one and two just seem to be the lead up to their main point: the French clubs don't want to release players.

Well, that's my cynical view

I assume these tests is inside the World Rugby test window?

I think the Wallabies should be wary about player welfare too and perhaps look to extend the squad to include a 2nd XV to perhaps play that 2nd test. Something like:

15 Jess Mogg
14 Henry Speight
13 Peter Betham
12 Duncan Paia'aua
11 Sefa Naivalu
10 Kurtley Beale
9 Nic Stirzaker
8 Scott Higginbotham
7 Colby Fainga'a
6 Hugh Pyle
5 Will Skelton
4 Rory Arnold
3 Guy Millar
2 Pat Leafa
1 Tolu Latu

Plus some random squad members including Kane Douglas, Tom Staniforth, Richie Arnold, Lopeti Timani and Emmanuel Meafou

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The French season will be over. This is actually the time when there aren't issues with players being released.

The problem is that due to COVID the season is finishing about 3 weeks later than normal and also due to COVID, Australia is making them do two weeks of quarantine which makes it impossible for players in the Top 14 final to be available for the first test.

Without the quarantine requirement everything would be fine. The bulk of their squad could fly out and have two weeks prep for the first test and players from the final could join the squad with a clear week of prep before the first test.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Nah not for shit.

Us, yeah probably.

I would pay good money to see them compete and it's all hypothetical but Racing 92 has the best backline in the world bar none. Toulouse and La Rochelle have the rugby cream of the crop throughout their 23 and I can't see anyone beating them.

This is relevant for Wallabies 2021 I swear, we're playing them soon. But look at Toulouse: 1. Baille 2. Marchand 3. Faumunia 4. 2 x Arnold 5. Joe Tekori 6. Kaino 7. François Cros 8. Elstadt 9. Dupont 10. Ntamack 11. Kolbe 12. Chocobares 13. Guitoune 14. Huget 15. Medard

That's a XV of all capped internationals with by my count 2 of the World's XV: Dupont & Kolbe. 1 former World XV in Kaino, and a few who are potentially there in Baille, Marchand and Ntamack.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I assume these tests is inside the World Rugby test window?

I think the Wallabies should be wary about player welfare too and perhaps look to extend the squad to include a 2nd XV to perhaps play that 2nd test. Something like:

15 Jess Mogg
14 Henry Speight
13 Peter Betham
12 Duncan Paia'aua
11 Sefa Naivalu
10 Kurtley Beale
9 Nic Stirzaker
8 Scott Higginbotham
7 Colby Fainga'a
6 Hugh Pyle
5 Will Skelton
4 Rory Arnold
3 Guy Millar
2 Pat Leafa
1 Tolu Latu

Plus some random squad members including Kane Douglas, Tom Staniforth, Richie Arnold, Lopeti Timani and Emmanuel Meafou

How could you leave out Latu. Also Zack Holmes demands selection.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I agree with an earlier post advocating for (Vunivalu, Wright, Petaia) Wallabies back-three.

Banks is a fine player but will never be a genuinely dangerous threat in the backline at international level.

He's a solid fill-in option for the time being, but the future has to be Wright at 15 with Vunivalu and Petaia on the wings, IMO.

Is Wright signed up for next year? He might sneak off back to league.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

We know that it was not about money for Rodda, or at least that has been suggested several times and he is returning to Australia for much less than he earns now and without a RA top up.
I think it had more to do with he and BT. Who are we to judge either way? If he is the best candidate for the job then he should be chosen. He has performed very well at test level over 25 tests which puts him way ahead of Neville, Hosea and even Philip, who was very good last year. That assuming he is playing at a similar level. Given that he is still short of his prime it is a good bet.