• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Philip and Rodda seem like they would make a good combo.

Last year it was either Simmons or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) with Philip and Rodda is a clear like for like upgrade on Simmons (as the tight head lock) and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is more similar to Philip where you want both of them running the ball and playing the "looser" role.

Rodda doing the grunt work and really letting Philip run more and range a bit wider at times could be really good.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is well suited for providing impact off the bench.

Then there's also Trevor Hosea who I want to see get a run this year. Neville probably rounds out the squad but he'd be my last choice of that group.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Philip and Rodda seem like they would make a good combo.

Last year it was either Simmons or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) with Philip and Rodda is a clear like for like upgrade on Simmons (as the tight head lock) and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is more similar to Philip where you want both of them running the ball and playing the "looser" role.

Rodda doing the grunt work and really letting Philip run more and range a bit wider at times could be really good.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is well suited for providing impact off the bench.

Then there's also Trevor Hosea who I want to see get a run this year. Neville probably rounds out the squad but he'd be my last choice of that group.

Someone was saying that Philip maybe have to play a relegation playoffs (unless Pau win this weekend) so wouldn't get be available till the 2nd test like half the french squad. You would think Rennie probably pick a side that has been in camp so we might not see Matt till the Rugby Championship. Rodda's last game is this week so he could be back in time depending on how quick he gets back from Lyon. Of the available locks in aus rugby they also would be my picks with Hosea at 19.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Someone was saying that Philip maybe have to play a relegation playoffs (unless Pau win this weekend) so wouldn't get be available till the 2nd test like half the french squad. You would think Rennie probably pick a side that has been in camp so we might not see Matt till the Rugby Championship. Rodda's last game is this week so he could be back in time depending on how quick he gets back from Lyon. Of the available locks in aus rugby they also would be my picks with Hosea at 19.

The final of Pro D2 is this weekend so it depends when that playoff is. If it's the following weekend (the 13th) then he gets out here in time although he'll have a shortened preparation compared to the rest of the Wallabies.

Unlike the French side, he wouldn't be training with the team during his quarantine.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Aus rugby needs a win or three against the French, otherwise it will be seen as just a continuation of our slide down the rankings that has occurred over the past 5 - 6 years. Bearing that in mind, I personally wouldn't be including any players who haven't had a full preparation with the Wallabies. If that means the likes of Philip, Rodda and maybe Hooper miss out against the French, then so be it.

All three would be very strong contenders with a full training stint under their belts.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hooper is already available.

Philip and Rodda will potentially not be able to join camp at the same time as the other players.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I like Allanah Ferguson's XV a lot. I think you can't go past that forward pack and I like her creative thinking in her backline:
1. Slipper
2. Kaitu'u
3. Tupou
4. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
5. Hosea
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White
10. Lolesio
11. Koroibete
12. JO'C
13. Paisami
14. Vunivalu
15. Banks

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I like Allanah Ferguson's XV a lot. I think you can't go past that forward pack and I like her creative thinking in her backline:
1. Slipper
2. Kaitu'u
3. Tupou
5. Hosea
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White
10. Lolesio
11. Koroibete
12. JO'C
13. Paisami
14. Vunivalu
15. Banks
I was more on the Morgs side

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
1. Slipper
2. Kaitu'u
3. Tupou
5. Hosea
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White
10. Lolesio
11. Koroibete
12. JO'C
13. Paisami
14. Vunivalu
15. Banks

I personally like JOC (James O'Connor) at 10, hunter 12 & Perese at 13.

Will be interesting if picks the blokes in France currently & if he puts a line through BPA does that mean he puts a line through Marika?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Are the same people swing from Perese's nuts the ones on Swinton from last year? Overlook the ten shit things because they did two good things?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Paisami showed last night that he is really a 12. I would look at Petaia again at 13 or maybe consider bringing back Kerevi?

Reactions: TSR

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Paisami showed last night that he is really a 12. I would look at Petaia again at 13 or maybe consider bringing back Kerevi?

What is your thinking, Joe?

I thought that some of Paisami's best games have been at 13, and didn't think last night was one of his best.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Kerevi is with the 7's trying for spot in the olympic squad. Won't be surprised to see him back by the world cup though.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Rodda should be halfway across the Indian Ocean by now, he wasn't named in Lyon's final game of the season due to injury. No news on how serious the injury is though, I guess it's not too bad.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
How depressing is this, Rugbyrama did a vote on the best 2nd row playing in the European Champions Cup. 3/6 of the nominees were Australian in Rodda, Skelton and Rory Arnold. The other three were Peceli Yato, Jonny Hill and Le Roux, so not bad company.

Skelton won with 58% of the vote (from 14,000 votes).
Arnold came 2nd with 28% of the votes.

Surely, we can't turn our nose up at this talent.

Edit: Sefa Naivalu was also 1 of 3 nominees for player of the month of May for the Top 14.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think we prepare separate sides for this test series:

Test 1 & 3:

15 Banks
14 Wright
13 Perese
12 Paisami
11 Koroibete
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
9 White
8 Wilson
7 Hooper [c]
6 Valetini
5 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
4 Neville
3 Tupou
2 Kaitu'u
1 Slipper

Test 2:

15 Maddocks
14 Vunivalu
13 Ikitau
12 To'omua [c]
11 Daugunu
10 Loloesio
9 Gordon
8 Naisirani
7 McReight
6 Swinton
5 Hosea
4 Swain
3 AAA
2 Lonergan
1 Bell

With:

16 Maf
17 Sio
18 Pone
19 Timani
20 Wright
21 McDermott
22 Simone
23 Samu

as the roving reserves,

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Has everyone written off BPA for Wallabies cause he's heading overseas? I think he's at another level at the moment compared to other Aussie hookers. His size and physicality has really shown in TT. As members section pointed out MK is heading off but everyone is including him.