• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Paisami is good while not great. He'll always have a highlight reel of jamming blokes that we love but I think teams have figured him out pretty quickly. He only runs unders lines and puts through the grubber which worked 2 years ago but not now.

If he is our starter we will always be looking for the next. Maybe he can keep improving and I hope he does.
What's wrong with iit?

Please. This brings back too many memories.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't see the logic of Simone's selection unless the reason is desperation for bodies

He has signed overseas, and unlikely to be in the top 5 "gits" options whilst playing overseas

But then again I don't rate Paisami as a 12 either

Is Hamish Stewart injured?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Paisami is good while not great. He'll always have a highlight reel of jamming blokes that we love but I think teams have figured him out pretty quickly. He only runs unders lines and puts through the grubber which worked 2 years ago but not now.

If he is our starter we will always be looking for the next. Maybe he can keep improving and I hope he does.

Please. This brings back too many memories.

Rae Rae

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yes I do

I don't think so. The peak of Wallabies under Rennie was the last Rugby Championship, 2 wins in a row against the World champions and then 2 wins in a row against Argentina. In those games Kerevi played at 12 in an astonishing level. I don't count ABs games cause WBs always lose against them.

Then you have the worse performances of WBs under Rennie, the rock bottom. 2021 EOTY, 3 loses in a row against Scotland, England and Wales. The only one that you could really have won was vs Wales. Who did play at 12 in those games? Paisami. A coincidence? I don't think so.

The Europeans defenses are stronger than ever. I mean you can't run throught Irish or French defense. Kerevi is one of the few options to real threat any defense, Paisami is an easy target for them. Just look at the results with Kerevi and Paisami.

Kerevi at 12:
4-0 vs South Africa and Argentina

Paisami at 12:
0-3 vs Scotland, England and Wales

I think Cooper played a big part in those wins didn't he? I think it should be:
Cooper/Kerevi: 4-0 SA and Argentina

Lolesio/Paisami: 0-3 Scotland and Wales

Big difference. A Cooper/Paisami pairing has got to be better then a Lolesio/Paisami. Maybe Kerevi isn't the key man (although still very good obviously).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think Cooper played a big part in those wins didn't he? I think it should be:
Cooper/Kerevi: 4-0 SA and Argentina

Lolesio/Paisami: 0-3 Scotland and Wales

Big difference. A Cooper/Paisami pairing has got to be better then a Lolesio/Paisami. Maybe Kerevi isn't the key man (although still very good obviously).
Kerevi makes the players around him better with the increased space and offload ability.

Quade & Paisami can work because if Quade's playing calm and controlled he watches how the defence is moving he thrives off having weapons to hit with a pass at the right moment. Lolesio is yet to (as far as I can tell) take full control of a game at Test level. This leads to guys like Paisami over playing their hand putting in grubbers or launching an unnecessary cut out.

RSA tend to have a slower defensive line than NZ which helps Quade quite a bit

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I hope this is the case. If not, I think Arnold should be the first dropped given how much depth we have at lock at the moment.

If they are not all injured/suspended.

Yeah there is depth as in players fighting for spots but no world class locks outside of Arnold & Skelton

Philip - gets the absolute most out of himself
Swain - serious potential
Neville - good club player taking an opportunity
Frost - potential

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
The biggest issue with the change to Paisami last year was the time it took us to adapt. Initially they had him/he was trying to play a Kerevi style game and understandably not having the same impact. As the tour progressed he was able to utilise his playmaking abilities and play more of his natural game and there was a clear improvement as a result.

I think the original plan this year would have been to have a look at a Paisami/Perese pairing during the Argentina tests to see how Perese went in a similar ball running role to Kerevi but at 13. Unfortunately that's not an option now.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Kerevi makes the players around him better with the increased space and offload ability.

Quade & Paisami can work because if Quade's playing calm and controlled he watches how the defence is moving he thrives off having weapons to hit with a pass at the right moment. Lolesio is yet to (as far as I can tell) take full control of a game at Test level. This leads to guys like Paisami over playing their hand putting in grubbers or launching an unnecessary cut out.

RSA tend to have a slower defensive line than NZ which helps Quade quite a bit
I actually don't recall Kerevi making a single offload against England.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Yeah there is depth as in players fighting for spots but no world class locks outside of Arnold & Skelton

Frost - potential

Well Skelton has 0 good games for the wallabies, and Arnold has one good season. I rate Arnold highly but how some people are talking about him on this forum you would think he is Eben Etzebeth or the 2014 version of Brodie Retallick.

Even as a Brumbies fan, I think he's a solid rugby player but I don't think he's making any world XV teams.

Didn't Arnold and Skelton feature last year on EOYT - no outstanding games there?

I'd argue Frost's first half was better then anything we saw from Arnold and Skelton last year.

Both must have regular man-of-the-match performances in Europe?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Well Skelton has 0 good games for the wallabies, and Arnold has one good season. I rate Arnold highly but how some people are talking about him on this forum you would think he is Eben Etzebeth or the 2014 version of Brodie Retallick.

Even as a Brumbies fan, I think he's a solid rugby player but I don't think he's making any world XV teams.

Didn't Arnold and Skelton feature last year on EOYT - no outstanding games there?

I'd argue Frost's first half was better then anything we saw from Arnold and Skelton last year.

Both must have regular man-of-the-match performances in Europe?

Both are the best 2 locks in arguably the best league in the world

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Both are the best 2 locks in arguably the best league in the world
Yes, agree they are but not for the Wallabies right. Like neither played well last year because they spent minimal time with the team (less than one week of training prior to the first game).

For what it is worth that time last year would certainly help integrate them now but I still think we aren't setting them up for success.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

Frost - potential
I think it is only Arnold who's world-class, we are yet to see what/if Skelton can bring to the Wallabies. His 30 mins v Wales had me looking at the stats to ensure he got a start!
I think both Arnold and Skelton need time to adjust to the international game. Arnold is the key lock to get starting in most games. I would play him with Phillip so we have a WC lock and a grafter who never lets us down.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I think it is only Arnold who's world-class, we are yet to see what/if Skelton can bring to the Wallabies. His 30 mins v Wales had me looking at the stats to ensure he got a start!
I think both Arnold and Skelton need time to adjust to the international game. Arnold is the key lock to get starting in most games. I would play him with Phillip so we have a WC lock and a grafter who never lets us down.

Skelton lead his side to a euro title

Sorry I forgot Rodda as well. He fully fit is our best out of the boys playing Super Rugby

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Skelton lead his side to a euro title

Sorry I forgot Rodda as well. He fully fit is our best out of the boys playing Super Rugby
Don't think I would play Rodda and Arnold together, they play very similar games and I prefer someone who brings something else to the pack.
I agree Rodda is an excellent lock when fit.