• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
On reflection, I’m perplexed a bit by Holloway as well, I don’t understand the role he is filling and think a guy like Uru is performing better in the lock/6 style utility player role if that’s what he is filling.

Holloway has also been penalised 9 times this season which is a ridiculous amount for any non-prop. I haven’t been watching closely, but what’s he doing to be penalised so often?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I take it as a bit of a sign at least that Rennie is thinking he may not utilise any OS locks. He only has 3 picks. Kerevi will be one and Koroibete likely to be another.

I don’t see any real OS option for 15, but I feel there is a strong argument that Rennie will get more value by recalling either Quade, BPA or possibly Latu as these are more problematic areas. At lock he still has Swain, Phillip & Rodda (given Frost & Salakai-Loto are departing). I’m not saying any of this is cut and dried, but I feel like there is some level of contingency value in including a guy like Holloway - who is in very good form - and Neville as an insurance policy against a couple of late injuries.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Kerevi will be one and Koroibete likely to be another.
I don’t see any real OS option for 15, but I feel there is a strong argument that Rennie will get more value by recalling either Quade, BPA or possibly Latu as these are more problematic areas.
Christ, looking at these names alone, three OS players really is a very limiting number.

P.S. surely it has to be Quade

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t want to see Latu in wallaby gold ever again, he doesn’t deserve it with the way he behaves on and off the field.
Not really a fan myself either - but it’s a really problem spot for us at the moment. I’m not convinced he’s worse as a player than any of the guys currently in action here - although I do think Fainga'a played some of his best games in gold last year.

I was really hoping Mafi would kick on this year, and I did think Uelese was starting to come good (but it was a very fleeting thought).

I’m not really a fan of Lonergan or McInerney. Kaitu’u has had some good games but also been patchy.

I’d also have BPA in front of Latu but I don’t think he could say he comprehensively nailed down the jersey last year.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Christ, looking at these names alone, three OS players really is a very limiting number.

I think a lot depends on what position there is the biggest gap rather than simply who are our best 3 OS players.

Otherwise surely LFG gets a spot???

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
On reflection, I’m perplexed a bit by Holloway as well, I don’t understand the role he is filling and think a guy like Uru is performing better in the lock/6 style utility player role if that’s what he is filling.

Holloway has also been penalised 9 times this season which is a ridiculous amount for any non-prop. I haven’t been watching closely, but what’s he doing to be penalised so often?

Jim Tucker wrote an interesting piece on the squad including this bit.

“ You need some controlled aggression against England so Jed Holloway isn’t as far away from Test rugby as some might think. He has aggression, good hands, deceptive footwork, is comfortable with lineout responsibilities and he’s experienced. Rennie sees him as a lock and likes his edge. There are six locks in this squad and Rory Arnold might yet be called back from overseas under the “Kerevi Clause.”

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not really a fan myself either - but it’s a really problem spot for us at the moment. I’m not convinced he’s worse as a player than any of the guys currently in action here - although I do think Fainga'a played some of his best games in gold last year.

I was really hoping Mafi would kick on this year, and I did think Uelese was starting to come good (but it was a very fleeting thought).

I’m not really a fan of Lonergan or McInerney. Kaitu’u has had some good games but also been patchy.

I’d also have BPA in front of Latu but I don’t think he could say he comprehensively nailed down the jersey last year.
i was hoping that ulese would play himself back into form as i really like the guy but its quite the opposite and its such a shame. can anyone realistically see him turn this around in the rest of the season?

kaitu'u was coming good last year but looks like the extra burdens this year are more of a hindrance.

i like latu when he is on form, but can he really pull his socks up?

if we only have 3 players, QC (Quade Cooper), koriobete and kerevi have to be nailed in as they are so far above the alternatives here in oz. latu cannot be in tthe same league (no pun in 10 did) as these 3 dynamic and dynamite players. id take a solid and dependable 2 if we get these 3, assuming QC (Quade Cooper) stays good.

our real worry will be upping our ruck speed, and i think some of the inclusions like holloway can be trained into this.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

“ You need some controlled aggression against England so Jed Holloway isn’t as far away from Test rugby as some might think. He has aggression, good hands, deceptive footwork, is comfortable with lineout responsibilities and he’s experienced. Rennie sees him as a lock and likes his edge. There are six locks in this squad and Rory Arnold might yet be called back from overseas under the “Kerevi Clause.”
I wouldn't think you can be averaging 2 penalties a game as a test lock, he needs to sort that aspect of his game out

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

McReight has been penalised 10 times this season, including 4 times last last week. Both players try to disrupt the ball, McReight pilfering and Holloway getting off the line quickly and trying to hold up the ball carrier, stands to reason they are penalised more often than others for playing on the edge to extract turnovers. I think both are adding more value to their team by doing so. Holloway is also a key maul disrupter for the Tahs, you’re not unhappy if he gives away a penalty 5m out in trying to stop a rolling maul so long as it’s not a straight card. I assume locks like Swain and Philip are similarly penalised trying to break up mauls.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
McReight has been penalised 10 times this season, including 4 times last last week. Both players try to disrupt the ball, McReight pilfering and Holloway getting off the line quickly and trying to hold up the ball carrier, stands to reason they are penalised more often than others for playing on the edge to extract turnovers. I think both are adding more value to their team by doing so. Holloway is also a key maul disrupter for the Tahs, you’re not unhappy if he gives away a penalty 5m out in trying to stop a rolling maul so long as it’s not a straight card. I assume locks like Swain and Philip are similarly penalised trying to break up mauls.
is this anecdotal or statistical that Holloway is getting those penalties trying to hold players up?

McReights getting penalised too much as well for that matter. He does rank in the top 10 for both ball carries and and tackles won, but he too needs to sort out his penalty rate if he is getting more penalties then turnovers.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Ryan Loneragan the biggest surprise inclusion. Must be a whiz on the team coffee machine.
Toni Pulu is by far the biggest surprise

Waikato power, bro!

5751657-merged.jpg

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Toni Pulu is by far the biggest surprise

Waikato power, bro!

View attachment 13216
Toni puli been in hot form this year after terrible run of injuries. Deserves his place. Ryan Lonergan on the other hand is interesting, but can understand as after Tate and Gordon I mean who you going to put in as third half back. Not Powell…Not Prior and I would say not Fines (as Lonergan was ahead of Fines at brumbies and would say skills/development wise still is at this point).

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Toni puli been in hot form this year after terrible run of injuries. Deserves his place. Ryan Lonergan on the other hand is interesting, but can understand as after Tate and Gordon I mean who you going to put in as third half back. Not Powell…Not Prior and I would say not Fines (as Lonergan was ahead of Fines at brumbies and would say skills/development wise still is at this point).
White?

Reactions: TSR

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The July series is probably the main one where we could see players from Europe or Japan. I tend to think it will be Japan only though and will be Kerevi, Koroibete and Cooper. They are also the obvious picks for the Rugby Championship.

The end of year tour will again be the time we switch to calling in the European based players.

In terms of hooker, I think Porecki is a very good chance to be first choice this year. No one else has locked in the position and apparently Rennie was very high on him last year before he was injured.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The July series is probably the main one where we could see players from Europe or Japan. I tend to think it will be Japan only though and will be Kerevi, Koroibete and Cooper. They are also the obvious picks for the Rugby Championship.

The end of year tour will again be the time we switch to calling in the European based players.

In terms of hooker, I think Porecki is a very good chance to be first choice this year. No one else has locked in the position and apparently Rennie was very high on him last year before he was injured.
I thought McKellar was selecting the team, not Rennie? Specially Hookers ;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

That is the second time Rennie has talked about footwork from forwards

One of the things he said Wilson had to work on was his footwork at/near contact.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
How Pulu is eligible? He has played for Niue in 7s, he was born in the USA and grew up in NZ. Parents? Grandparents?