• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Jim Tucker wrote an interesting piece on the squad including this bit.

“ You need some controlled aggression against England so Jed Holloway isn’t as far away from Test rugby as some might think. He has aggression, good hands, deceptive footwork, is comfortable with lineout responsibilities and he’s experienced. Rennie sees him as a lock and likes his edge. There are six locks in this squad and Rory Arnold might yet be called back from overseas under the “Kerevi Clause.”
All those questioning holloway's inclusion not obviously looked closely at his work rate and impact this year which been immense....look whether he would get a test gig not going to call..but can understand why in the camp squad....

Thalium

Fred Wood (13)
My shock is Cadeyrn Neville being taken to camp over Fergus Lee-Werner or Tim Anstee Especially when you know the Lock stocks already chosen are Philip, Swain, Rodda, Frost

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
My shock is Cadeyrn Neville being taken to camp over Fergus Lee-Werner or Tim Anstee Especially when you know the Lock stocks already chosen are Philip, Swain, Rodda, Frost
Neville wasn't taken over Lee-warner or Anstee - he was taken over Blyth

Leota, Wilson & Valetini were taken over Lee-warner and Anstee

The backrow is quite settled BUT the 4th or 5th lock spot is not. Now - with Leota injured then yes perhaps they could have given a shoutout to another no.6 option (Uru or Lee-warner - forget Anstee) but I wouldn't say the outcome is necessarily "shocking"

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Holding a passport isn’t a qualification criteria for test rugby, it doesn’t mean you can represent that country. It’s only Olympic Sevens where a passport/citizenship is required or guarantees eligibility.
I assume when they say he holds an Australian passport ‘through his parents’ that one of them is an Australian citizen

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Swinton's going to need to get on the field soon if he wants to hold his spot, there's so much competition for backrow spots right now and he didn't exactly stake a claim last year. Particularly if he and Leota are both coming back from injury with not much game time - I'm not sure they'll carry both in a squad on minimal game time and Leota is the one with runs on the board at this point.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
is this anecdotal or statistical that Holloway is getting those penalties trying to hold players up?

McReights getting penalised too much as well for that matter. He does rank in the top 10 for both ball carries and and tackles won, but he too needs to sort out his penalty rate if he is getting more penalties then turnovers.
Anecdotal. I haven’t tallied Swain and Philip but at a glance they are also giving away multiple penalties per game. I think if you’re a backrow fetcher or maul disrupting lock then it’s acceptable to concede more penalties. I’d be more concerned if it was a 6 or 8.

Thalium

Fred Wood (13)
all seem as bad as each other for penalties if that helps
04D5A9DA-E256-41FC-9639-5810232A3734.png

9E14C6AE-214C-45F9-8960-F6EDE22FD484.png
C1B11EF9-AEF2-4FB4-ACA5-78712FDA176C.png
BFE04286-FDAB-40D4-B5AE-22AE86DDBBD2.png

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Swinton's going to need to get on the field soon if he wants to hold his spot, there's so much competition for backrow spots right now and he didn't exactly stake a claim last year. Particularly if he and Leota are both coming back from injury with not much game time - I'm not sure they'll carry both in a squad on minimal game time and Leota is the one with runs on the board at this point.
Probably my Tah bias but I still think he's our best 6.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Not sure if the best 6/8 combination involving Valetini and Wilson has yet been figured out, buy whichever one dons the 6 jersey is the best 6 imo. I would rate our 6s as Wright/Valetini, Leota, Swinton with FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) nipping at their heels.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I hope Wright comes good, but injury & form aren’t on his side. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) was looking good pre-injury also, but will struggle to get back into Reds starting side let alone Wallabies squad now.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Thanks for the stats Thalium.

Interesting Swain has only given away four penalties (although, he’s missed at least one match) despite being called out in match threads for infringements. Perhaps he’s just good at infringing cynically?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Thanks for the stats Thalium.

Interesting Swain has only given away four penalties (although, he’s missed at least one match) despite being called out in match threads for infringements. Perhaps he’s just good at infringing cynically?
Perhaps he's just good, full stop.