• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The big sledge on the Wallabies losing to Italy last tour was quite arrogant looking at this latest result in the 6 Nations. Maybe Italy are just much better than they were. They fought back from 19-6 down before France closed it out. We are always quick to throw the boot in to the odd Wallaby losses to minnow nations but never consider that maybe we were just outplayed by a much improved Nation?

View attachment 15262

italy are on the improve which is great. But it wasn’t a sledge and hardly arrogant. Arrogance was the coaching, selection and rotation policy under-rating the Azzuri for 2/5 in a tour which could have and should have planned for a win in Italy with effectiveness.

the France result does place Wallaby reputation in perspective all the same. One round doesn’t do this, but it does set things up nicely. Both the Welsh and Scotland result also help add perspective.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I would have thought the arrogant thing was, not having a S&C team in place once the previous ones departed leaving us with an entire team being injured.

Last years EOYT (including the Japanese game) was the perfect way to replicate a World Cup schedule which requires balancing a team for games. We were stuffed from the beginning due to so many players being out, so our "rotated" squad was effectively a C team.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is just the catch-22 problem the Wallabies are always going to face.

We should never have scheduled 5 Tests in a row - however we also need the revenue... there are no easy answers.

I have no issue with our selection v Italy, I called it before the tour it was the game to rest the main guys given it split the tour. I don't really care we lost to Italy and we also had a chance to win it with a kick after the siren, who cares. The results against Ireland, Scotland, France, Wales were much more important.

Wins are everything and we didn't get them which is why Rennie had to go but the fact we didn't get smashed in any game shows the group (the players) are in a good space.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have always thought the Wobs S&C having to send them to the sand hills is a clear demonstration of the failure of the Super Rugby teams S&C programmes, it ain't exactly like any of them have been bossing games and finishing hard

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I have always thought the Wobs S&C having to send them to the sand hills is a clear demonstration of the failure of the Super Rugby teams S&C programmes, it ain't exactly like any of them have been bossing games and finishing hard
Although the Wallabies themselves certainly haven't seemed short on fitness. If anything they seem to typically finish stronger than the opp.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Although the Wallabies themselves certainly haven't seemed short on fitness. If anything they seem to typically finish stronger than the opp.
You'd bloody hope so, the calf/hammy injuries are surely from being overworked in training in season. Hopefully the damage was done last year and their bodies are primed/adapted to handle it this year.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
You'd bloody hope so, the calf/hammy injuries are surely from being overworked in training in season. Hopefully the damage was done last year and their bodies are primed/adapted to handle it this year.
That's make sense to me. I suffered that several times in my amateur career, so it's something that could happen. In that case, Eddie would recive all the payoff for Rennie hard work lol

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
This is just the catch-22 problem the Wallabies are always going to face.

We should never have scheduled 5 Tests in a row - however we also need the revenue... there are no easy answers.

I have no issue with our selection v Italy, I called it before the tour it was the game to rest the main guys given it split the tour. I don't really care we lost to Italy and we also had a chance to win it with a kick after the siren, who cares. The results against Ireland, Scotland, France, Wales were much more important.

Wins are everything and we didn't get them which is why Rennie had to go but the fact we didn't get smashed in any game shows the group (the players) are in a good space.
Gee playing 5 weeks in a row after a whole month off. It’s a bit precious

dru

Tim Horan (67)
By far the majority of us will never know what it takes to play at that level for five weekends consecutively. Any insights to share with us?

Plenty of us know what it is like to be a fan following a 2/5 result with a dismissive attitude clearly taken to the Azuri.

There is not just one option in rotation policy, the one they chose failed.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Plenty of us know what it is like to be a fan following a 2/5 result with a dismissive attitude clearly taken to the Azuri.

There is not just one option in rotation policy, the one they chose failed.
I am pretty sure we very nearly lost to Italy back in 2008 (?). Anyway, we were saved by the late injection of an upstart called Quade Cooper. True fans take the bad with the good, all teams experience both.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I am pretty sure we very nearly lost to Italy back in 2008 (?). Anyway, we were saved by the late injection of an upstart called Quade Cooper. True fans take the bad with the good, all teams experience both.

I've no idea how this descends to the personal. I do take the bad with the good and never called for Rennie's head. Just that he take responsibility. A "nearly" lost 5 years ago is an almost but not quite unacceptable result of historic note only. Rennies bad has been worse than most and it is completely normal for fans to judge by a w/l ratio.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Hope not Stiles Reg, never thought he did much good. If a good coach comes in I want to see an impact or what are they bringing?
Agree re Laurie he has proven to bring an impact at the Brumbies.
Yeah imagine being a full time athlete and having all week to devote to recovery and not be able to play 5 weeks in a row. Blokes get on the tools for 50 hours a week and play each weekend
Other codes seem to cope with high level competition for many weeks longer too