• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Haven't had the chance to watch the game yet. But, couldn't have Wright just stopped the quick throw by forming a line out like everyone else does?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Incorrect.
View attachment 15800

Both the no arms tackle and this were penalties and almost yellow card worthy. But as Brumby fans have identified, the ref was poor.
Thanks Reg.

Three things :

1. Appreciate the clarification of the Law.

2. Wright's action probably shows he was aware of it and took action to ensure the ball wasn't available for a quick throw. Could have been a penalty/card but I repeat that I haven't seen that happen since Mitchell's infamous card.

3. Doleman is probably the least technically accurate referee around, but a game where only two penalties were awarded in the first half can be a spectacle regardless. He otherwise missed crooked lineout throws, early unbinding from scrums, knock ons and forward passes, but he missed them for both teams. I have not seen any criticisms from Brumbies' fans claiming he lost us the game despite his widely identifed idiosyncracies in applying the Laws. The Brumbies lost the game because they were beaten at the breakdown and beaten for loose ball on the ground.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You don’t remember that yellow Wright got against Scotland in 2021? It was pretty costly. He got into a scuffle when the ball went out and was trying to obstruct a quick throw IIRC.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks Reg.

Three things :

1. Appreciate the clarification of the Law.

2. Wright's action probably shows he was aware of it and took action to ensure the ball wasn't available for a quick throw. Could have been a penalty/card but I repeat that I haven't seen that happen since Mitchell's infamous card.

3. Doleman is probably the least technically accurate referee around, but a game where only two penalties were awarded in the first half can be a spectacle regardless. He otherwise missed crooked lineout throws, early unbinding from scrums, knock ons and forward passes, but he missed them for both teams. I have not seen any criticisms from Brumbies' fans claiming he lost us the game despite his widely identifed idiosyncracies in applying the Laws. The Brumbies lost the game because they were beaten at the breakdown and beaten for loose ball on the ground.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
So here we go again lol
HSHV6ba.md.jpg

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Had a decent eye on all the hookers this week.

Brumbies - Lonergan and Pollard - both had big issues with their throwing and it seemed better than it was because the ref didn't call a lot of not-straights. Pollard better around the park and physical. Lonergan looks quite under-sized like Porecki for Test level. Pollard is too inexperienced for Test rugby. I'm not selecting either in my 23.

Tahs - Porecki is definitely the best thrower in the country and he got threw a done of work but I still have doubts about his size/effectiveness in collision at Test level, gets thrown around a lot. Vailanu is going ok, he's a bit small too but a strong carrier. He's not going to play Tests. Porecki should in the squad but I need him to up his collision impact. I still have hopes for Latu but if the Tahs aren't using him in the 23 he's no chance..

Rebels - Mafi was the pick of the hookers easily. He ran well, tackled well, managed the mauling and throws were solid. Will he make the squad? I'd pick him. Uelese was also good, attacked the breakdown a lot
- probably our best hooker after Latu at the ruck. He's physical but sometimes throws are wonky. I'm a little sckeptical of their dominance given it was Pasifika but as right now I'd select both in my squad (of 3).

Force - Horton is an energy bunny, a bit like Vailanu but massively undersized at Test level, he's not making the squad but he's playing well. Kaitu’u has had a massive decline.

Reds - Faessler is going well, does his core roles well and strong in contact and has a sneaky athletic game. Asiata also decent, needs to throw a bit more consistently. If one of the Reds hookers were to make it, probably Faessler, I'd have him 4/5th right now.

It feels like we have this issue with small hookers in this country. Apart from Uelese where are all the big units? Codie Taylor, Marx, Taukei'aho, Mbonambi are massive units compared to our guys.

TLDR; Porecki/Mafi/Uelese in any order so far.

Last edited:

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)

Brumbies - Lonergan and Pollard - both had big issues with their throwing and it seemed better than it was because the ref didn't call a lot of not-straights. Pollard better around the park and physical. Lonergan looks quite under-sized like Porecki for Test level. Pollard is too inexperienced for Test rugby. I'm not selecting either in my 23.

Tahs - Porecki is definitely the best thrower in the country and he got threw a done of work but I still have doubts about his size/effectiveness in collision at Test level, gets thrown around a lot. Vailanu is going ok, he's a bit small too but a strong carrier. He's not going to play Tests. Porecki should in the squad but I need him to up his collision impact. I still have hopes for Latu but if the Tahs aren't using him in the 23 he's no chance..

Rebels - Mafi was the pick of the hookers easily. He ran well, tackled well, managed the mauling and throws were solid. Will he make the squad? I'd pick him. Uelese was also good, attacked the breakdown a lot
- probably our best hooker after Latu at the ruck. He's physical but sometimes throws are wonky. I'm a little sckeptical of their dominance given it was Pasifika but as right now I'd select both in my squad (of 3).

Force - Horton is an energy bunny, a bit like Vailanu but massively undersized at Test level, he's not making the squad but he's playing well. Kaitu’u has had a massive decline.

Reds - Faessler is going well, does his core roles well and strong in contact and has a sneaky athletic game. Asiata also decent, needs to throw a bit more consistently. If one of the Reds hookers were to make it, probably Faessler, I'd have him 4/5th right now.

It feels like we have this issue with small hookers in this country. Apart from Uelese where are all the big units? Codie Taylor, Marx, Taukei'aho, Mbonambi are massive units compared to our guys.

Faessler better thrower tha Porecki IMO

griffins

Darby Loudon (17)

Concerns about Lonergab's physicality are overblown, he is very powerful with quick footspeed which makes him a better ball carrier than any of the three listed. Set piece is the concern, though Id suggest hes worth persisting with over Uelese (who cannot throw, full stop, and has low if occassionally high quality involvement).

Mafi has been the pick of our hookers overall though and deserves a crack.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Lonergans size doesn’t concern me at all with his performance. As long as we don’t have mid sized 2nd Rowers like Phillip (as hard as he goes) I’m confident the set piece will be fine.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)

I'm interested in knowing what your rationale is when considering whether someone is undersized.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm interested in knowing what your rationale is when considering whether someone is undersized.
Eye test, effectiveness in collisions and ability to withstand getting hit at a ruck. We have no big hookers. Look at the power guys like Taukei'aho and Aumua bring. It's similar to what TPN was for us. No doubt helps in the scrum too.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Eye test, effectiveness in collisions and ability to withstand getting hit at a ruck. We have no big hookers. Look at the power guys like Taukei'aho and Aumua bring. It's similar to what TPN (Tatafu Polota-Nau) was for us. No doubt helps in the scrum too.

So basically enough bulk to be able to hold their own in a ruck situation and win collisions when required? I can't really argue too much with that.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The collision is such a huge area of Test rugby now, the trend is bigger players, power games, effective cleanouts -> quick ball. It's why I want Gleeson (or another big body) @ 7 over Hooper and McReight and who get blasted too easily at the ruck.

Alex Ross (28)
So basically enough bulk to be able to hold their own in a ruck situation and win collisions when required? I can't really argue too much with that.
I don’t think holding your own in a ruck means as much these days. If you are hands on and lifting the ball then you generally don’t need to survive the clean out to get the chocolates. Speed to the ruck to clean out, or at least prevent hands on is more important. Unless you are Skelton sized and are taking three players out of the next phase. I don’t think it rules out the more mobile hookers. But being a running threat and making post contact metres is important. That doesn’t always come down to size though.