• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
That’s a bruising back row and frankly I don’t hate it.
I guess it depends on if you think that lineup has enough quickness/workrate to hit rucks quickly and get up on defense quickly. Especially if you are playing Skelton.

It's basically playing a hybrid lock/6 @ 6 and an 8@7. Which teams tend not to do for a reason.

If you do go all bulk then the gameplan shifts quite a bit and you'd assume there'd be more emphasis on kicking/territory. That's how Jones liked to play in England, so perhaps he'll replicate the same general gameplan in Australia? I think it'll be more of an emphasis, but Jones also seems smart enough to base his gameplan on his personnel and not try to fit square pegs into round holes.

It'll be fascinating to see how they play in the first test as you basically get direct insight into the mind of a rugby genius (love or hate Jones, he's a savant) and the Wallabies have tons of different options in terms of types of players available. If he took over Argentina/the Boks I don't think it'd be nearly as interesting as the players mostly pick themselves and the gameplan is fairly obvious given the personnel.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I guess it depends on if you think that lineup has enough quickness/workrate to hit rucks quickly and get up on defense quickly. Especially if you are playing Skelton.

It's basically playing a hybrid lock/6 @ 6 and an 8@7. Which teams tend not to do for a reason.

If you do go all bulk then the gameplan shifts quite a bit and you'd assume there'd be more emphasis on kicking/territory. That's how Jones liked to play in England, so perhaps he'll replicate the same general gameplan in Australia? I think it'll be more of an emphasis, but Jones also seems smart enough to base his gameplan on his personnel and not try to fit square pegs into round holes.

It'll be fascinating to see how they play in the first test as you basically get direct insight into the mind of a rugby genius (love or hate Jones, he's a savant) and the Wallabies have tons of different options in terms of types of players available. If he took over Argentina/the Boks I don't think it'd be nearly as interesting as the players mostly pick themselves and the gameplan is fairly obvious given the personnel.
Like all selections there has to be a degree of flexibility. In terms of work rate, I don’t have an issue with Bobby V and Gleeson in 50-60 minute bursts. Against a big pack where winning the collisions is tough I could see us going with it. Kind of like we did back in the day Willie O at open side alongside Poido and Coker. That was a monster pack. Against teams with quicker ground game I would have McReight in there.

Gleeson is my eight and Bobby my six at the very least.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Reds v Tahs only emphasised 6. Holloway 7. Gleeson 8. Valetini for me.

Get amongst it.
Pretty good, all have been in very good form and Holloway will be a good line out option alongside Frost, would you have Samu/Leota on the bench?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
So you continue to say. Some examples if you will? And the no arms tackle and ball throw against the Canes don't count because they were not picked up and had no detrimental affect on the game.
Don't know what you want in a FB but this is my list. Safe under the ball, knows when to chime into the line and when to stay back, Safety over risk and can kick out preferably long, excellent tackler and very gutsy.

I am not going back to check what appears obvious to me! Why don't you do the analysis and tell me why he is uniquely qualified to play fullback for the Wallabies?
Wright looks to run first whilst kicking is his last option, his tackling is OK but not great, he is not as gutsy as I would like, he appears to be learning the position on the job, and basically, I don't think he is smart enough to play FB internationally.
There are some positions where you need to have the ability to make smart decisions immediately, 15, 10, 9 and 8. To do this you must have either a quick brain or be one of those rare players who can read the game as it unfolds.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Guys I am expecting Jones to go Bobby V 8, Hooper 7 and Holloway 6.
Bench will depend on opposition - Arg Samu, AB's Leota is my guess.
Uru went pretty well last night from the bench.
yep I think that's the go they also played together a few times last year

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't watch much NH rugby, but does Skelton really take NO line outs? Or is this just a regurgitated statement that gets presented as fact? Can someone who actually watches NH rugby give an educated answer?

I don't watch NH rugby but have seen this reviewed by analysis's who do. Yes he takes the odd line out. Pretty rare, not consist=ent with the role of a rower. OTOH he lifts. Apparently the combination with a lighter 7 can create a different sort of line out option.

I'd imagine that you'd need a bit of time building the connection though.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Carter Gordon is a breath of fresh air. He is already much more than an exciting prospect. He has proven to be the best No 10 in the land, confirmed again today. He still has so much improvement, growth and development in him, it is scary. He is a must for the second No 10 spot in the RWC squad.

Tom Wright had another terrible game, interspersed by myriads of brain explosions and absolute fuckups. Shame he outplayed Andrew Kellaway today and again confirmed he is the best of our current No 15 options. :rolleyes: ;)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Carter Gordon is a breath of fresh air. He is already much more than an exciting prospect. He has proven to be the best No 10 in the land, confirmed again today. He still has so much improvement, growth and development in him, it is scary. He is a must for the second No 10 spot in the RWC squad.

Tom Wright had another terrible game, interspersed by myriads of brain explosions and absolute fuckups. Shame he outplayed Andrew Kellaway today and again confirmed he is the best of our current No 15 options. :rolleyes: ;)
Glad someone had the guts to say it