• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
So IFL needs speed and explosive to shine. That's his game, so why I'd pick an older IFL in 2027??
No one can pick anyone for 2027 ...

Best you can do is 2023 or, at an absolute stretch, 2024 ... If you want to nominate post-RWC retirements.

But there's plenty happening before 2027.

Caps are built by increments. That's why Nic White will be starting scrum half aged 33 this year.

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd just like to add...

The only other halfback Eddie picked for his training camp earlier this year will only be 29 when the next RWC rolls in.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'd just like to add...

The only other halfback Eddie picked for his training camp earlier this year will only be 29 when the next RWC rolls in.
Lonergan will likely take over from White in time

But back-ups are still required.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mr Beale was one of 44 players named earlier this month for a Wallabies four-day camp on the Gold Coast, with the Rugby World Cup looming in September.

This is a mistake right, meant to write year not month?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just had a look at the team that beat Wales in Cardiff..

Australia: 15. Tom Wright, 14. Jordan Petaia, 13. Len Ikitau, 12. Reece Hodge, 11. Mark Nawaqanitawase, 10. Ben Donaldson, 9. Jake Gordon; 1. James Slipper (c), 2. Folau Fainga’a, 3. Allan Ala'alatoa, 4. Nick Frost, 5. Cadeyrn Neville, 6. Jed Holloway, 7. Fraser McReight, 8. Langi Gleeson

Replacements: 16. Lachlan Lonergan, 17. Tom Robertson, 18. Sam Talakai, 19. Ned Hanigan 20. Pete Samu, 21. Tate McDermott, 22. Noah Lolesio, 23. Jock Campbell

Pretty optimistic stuff when we can add Bell, Porecki, Tupou, Skelton, Richie Arnold/Rodda/Phillip, Valetini, Nic White, Quade, Kerevi, Koroibete, Kellaway & Foley. That's 10-11 starters missing.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just had a look at the team that beat Wales in Cardiff..

Australia: 15. Tom Wright, 14. Jordan Petaia, 13. Len Ikitau, 12. Reece Hodge, 11. Mark Nawaqanitawase, 10. Ben Donaldson, 9. Jake Gordon; 1. James Slipper (c), 2. Folau Fainga’a, 3. Allan Ala'alatoa, 4. Nick Frost, 5. Cadeyrn Neville, 6. Jed Holloway, 7. Fraser McReight, 8. Langi Gleeson

Replacements: 16. Lachlan Lonergan, 17. Tom Robertson, 18. Sam Talakai, 19. Ned Hanigan 20. Pete Samu, 21. Tate McDermott, 22. Noah Lolesio, 23. Jock Campbell

Pretty optimistic stuff when we can add Bell, Porecki, Tupou, Skelton, Richie Arnold/Rodda/Phillip, Valetini, Nic White, Quade, Kerevi, Koroibete, Kellaway & Foley. That's 10-11 starters missing.
Yep so long as we don’t have an unprecedented injury crisis and play shit (although we’re capable of that) we should beat wales comftably at the WC

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So if we are going down that second tier malarky it would be an alternative to the usual first tier being roughly the to 10 and you'd recognise the heavy hitters as:

First tier: Ireland, France, New Zealand, South Africa.

Usually you would probably add England and Australia based on historic performance but for now :-

Second tier: Scotland (on the boundary between the two tiers really) , Argentina, Australia, Wales, England, and if Wales makes the cut, so does Japan imo.

Third tier: Georgia, Samoa, Fiji, Italy, Tonga.

I don't actually have a problem with this categorisation.

A couple of points. 1. We really should know more about Georgia. 2. The difficulties facing world sport generally but rugby in particular suggests that all the second tier bar Japan are on ropey grounds and need to be interjecting on their fates very quickly. 3. Japan though, seem to be on a very predictable up trend. 4. Italy are not getting rewarded for their 6N heroic losses.

Take note Wallabies, regarding the impact of heroic losses. We have something of a dream draw at RWC and could really use going deep after the qualifying rounds in order to shore the nation up.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I've been really impressed with what I've seen of Jack Deb this year. Admittedly I haven't watched every game but have caught a few recently.

Do we think he will be on Eddie's radar?