• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Under Rugby Australia’s (RA) Overseas Players Selection Policy (which replaced the previous “Giteau Law” in 2021), the national coach can apply to RA’s Rugby Committee for more than the normal three eligible overseas players in the case of extenuating circumstances.

For The 2023 Rugby Championship, Wallabies Team Management requested, and received approval to select two additional overseas-based players for a total of five in the squad of 34 players.

The three selected under the standard policy are centre Samu Kerevi, winger Marika Koroibete and lock Will Skelton, with the additional two players being Richie Arnold after his championship-winning season in France, and experienced flyhalf and 76-Test veteran Quade Cooper.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
anyone have some clarity on the overseas selections?

I thought the Giteau law was strictly about 60+ caps AND 7 years in Aus rugby. There was never a limit on the number of these selections. When Giteau and Mitchell were selected in 2015 we never had 3 overseas picks, they were just eligible now as they qualified.

In 2021 we changed our policy to include 3 overseas selections who didn’t have 60+ caps.
That was Kerevi, Arnold, Korobiete and Skelton all at different times.

Quade and Foley qualify under Giteau law. Do they still count towards overseas selection quotas? It’s now 5 and it seems that’s why Foley has missed out but I was expecting Foley and Quade not to count towards any quota and therefore still room for 4 overseas Skelton Kerevi Korobiete and Arnold.

Anyone know for certain what’s going on here?
considering Arnold is uncapped I think the past criteria is meaningless, sounds like it is just capped at 5 players. They could probably throw in representation for Aus franchises for x number of Super games, and just add a couple of games onto the bloke who has the least if they want to add some cred. But who knows really.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
So Giteau Law is completely done. Be good if people stopped referring to it now.
I actually thought it should have been called the Sekope Kepu law, at the time it seemed designed to keep him in the selection frame post 2015 RWC more than it did about being able to select Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell. Obviously it was a bit about all 3, but I think from memory they could have been a bit tighter to get Giteau.

All that said, yes you are correct:

Giteau Law buried as Eddie Jones names first Wallabies squad

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Couple more overseas queries if anyone knows.

Did Eddie want 6 (ie. Foley) but RA knocked him back with 5 max and therefore Foley the one that had to go.

How fluid is the quota, is it 23 match day or squad, as soon as one leaves the squad can one come in etc

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Couple more overseas queries if anyone knows.

Did Eddie want 6 (ie. Foley) but Rugby Australia knocked him back with 5 max and therefore Foley the one that had to go.

How fluid is the quota, is it 23 match day or squad, as soon as one leaves the squad can one come in etc
Surely there’s no rules, it’s Eddie’s world and we’re just living in it.

i wouldn’t stress too much

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyway, I didn't think Hooper would make it but incredible he's now been selected captain by Deans, McKenzie, Cheika, Rennie and Jones.

The Marketing Pigeon

Herbert Moran (7)
Few take aways from Eddie in the press conference.
1. All overseas players picked for the squad were accepted, so Bernard wasn’t picked not knocked back by the board on picks.
2. Kerevi only player named in the rehab squad that could still be available for South African game.
3. Hooper seen as an 80 minute player and Mcreight they only other player he sees going for 7 - with Kemeny he wants to be able to play 6,7 or wing (likely a bench spot)
4. Hinted that against South Africa lineout jumping will be key for his number 6 - Jed Holloway shaping as the pick but thinks highly of Leota

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2023 Squad depth / make up breakdown. Hopefully details are accurate around eligibility and squad makeup.

Anyway, shows Rebels looking good depth wise (disregarding some international eligibility) while real concerns laid bare around lack of quality in Reds team
2023 Depth Chart.JPG

Mug Punter

Ward Prentice (10)
Bloody hell, what a journey Matt has undergone. 18 months ago he was still on the tools, now he's a few matches away from playing in the RWC.
This time last year he was playing the second half of the Shute Shield season for Randwick because he was yet to be offered a Reds extension. A few months before that they picked a 39 year old Stephen Moore to come out of retirement instead of picking him off the bench. Unbelievable story of persistence

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
2023 Squad depth / make up breakdown. Hopefully details are accurate around eligibility and squad makeup.

Anyway, shows Rebels looking good depth wise (disregarding some international eligibility) while real concerns laid bare around lack of quality in Reds teamView attachment 16633
Off topic, but it's pretty wild to see the Reds only have 1 ineligible player, and how that compares to others.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Off topic, but it's pretty wild to see the Reds only have 1 ineligible player, and how that compares to others.
Tahs rank well in that regard too, Nadolo was a stuff up but at least he’s actually from Australia, the prop was just legit injury cover. Surprised at the number of ineligibles in the Brumbies squad, I thought NSW & Qld homebreds were their main hunting ground.

Last edited: